• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UPGRADING MY NEW MUTANTS AGAIN... posted by bagofleas

10 posts in this topic

Gotta get it back!

OK here is the deal.

I congratulate TNerb on getting the Best Copper Age award this year on his New Mutants set. He has managed to barely surpass my total registry points on this set for the first time. Mine are all 9.8 or better while his is the same with two exceptions. My Graphic Novel #4 is 9.8 while his is only 9.4. His #1 is a 9.9 While mine is a Gem Mint 10!!

Here is where the difference lies. I have all but three issues to go to have them all. He has only two more to go. This is only a 25 point difference and by itself is not enough to turn the tide. The real difference is because he has at least 32 signature series copies while I have only 14 so far.

I have to say I am kinda irked that he got the award I have been hoping for with this set for three years. I did not think CGC would grant the award for this set until there was an obviously dominating leader. Being that there was only a 41 point difference at the time of the awards for a larger set I was pretty shocked that they went ahead and awarded it to him.

But with that said TNerb and I have worked with each other on both of our sets. I have led him to some of the ones he needed and he has done the same for me. I cant be mad at him. He is a collector and lover of this series just as I am. We both have fond memories involved with this set and have worked together to help each other. I THANK YOU FOR THAT TNerb!! I really do.

At the same time I cant help but wonder what CGC was thinking when they gave this award for such a closely contested set. Anyway part of the issue with me is that I have been on a Harvey comics collecting kick lately and just havent seen any signed copies of these come up. That is until recently.

In the last week two signed copies reared their lovely heads! A 9.8 WP SS copy of #89 signed by Rob Liefeld and a 9.8 WP SS copy of #85 signed by both Rob Liefeld and Todd McFarland (see pic below)!!!

I now have a renewed interest in taking back my three year domination of this set. Getting signed copies of #87 and #98 are among the biggest things I can do to achieve this. I have made a couple of attempts at these on previous auctions and just havent quite managed to win any yet.

Isnt competition fun? LETS DO IT!!!

12025.jpg

See more journals by bagofleas

No my fault for not bidding more, you have a one of a kind there. I doubt many people would choose that particular comic to get double signed. I considerred doing my last minute $9999999999999999999 bid which is just me holding down the 9 key then hitting the bid button which always seems to get me what I want but lately I have been paranoid that there may be someone out there who is a little more refined who puts down a lat minute $1,000,000 which would still leave me the winner but in kind of an awkward position.

I was also bidding on this. So first off I want to say Congratulations to BagoFleas for winning it, because I feel if I lose it, he is the only one I would want to lose to. No offense to anyone else. Of course if I knew he was bidding I wouldn't have bid at all since i made him a promise. However, eBay did me off on this one because I did place a large bid to what I thought would assure me the win. The message came back that I was outbid and when I tried to place a larger bid, the auction was over. I checked that the winning bid was $91. I was pissed because I placed a larger bid than that. To be honest I was ready to throw down $150, which is the bid I placed.

But let's talk about something serious. And ANYONE reading this please send some hopes that the book sent to BagoFleas by RonnyLama is indeed a 9.8 (or greater). This book along with issue #50 is what brought about the competition to acquire the best New Mutants set, plus as well if it is a 9.8, I can then stop looking. Anyway, i just got done working some serious hours ad am going to unwind with a Fringe Marathon. so I will write this next..very very carefully.

CONGRATULATIONS on your wins and I hope that your 47 to be encapsulated is the grade we both desire.

Tnerb

Thank you TNerb! As usual, you are encouraging and helpful.

I am hoping for that elusive 9.8 grade as well on this thing as well as on the others that RonnyLama is sending me. I cannot possibly give enough kudos to him or you for everything both of you are doing, and have done for me.

May blessings forever and always flow onto both of you!! You guys are AWESOME!

(worship)