• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC moratorium on new comic books

53 posts in this topic

Is there a full moon tonight?

This past weekend. I felt the urge to howl and did, several times.

Howl or Hurl?

i hear stuff like this from collectors....several times recently in the last few months.

Why do people seem to think that CGC is here to regulate, influence or otherwise have any bearing on the comic market in any way, shape, form or fashion?

They provide a grading service....plain and simple, and in my opinion, a very valuable and affordable one considering what they charge.

I dabble in the coin market as well and let me tell you that people get things graded/slabbed/boxed whatever for a variety of purposes and the secondary market is just one of them.

Me personally i do get some books graded to re-sell, however when it comes to the books that i really treasure and will never get rid of i get them slabbed for archival and protection purposes.

That alone is why i have a couple of almost worthless comics that are slabbed and sitting on my shelf now....they mean more to me than what grade they have, but now i know that they are protected better than sitting in a box somewhere.

Let CGC do their job.......if we dont like them we can always go to PGX or whomever the next guy is

I think recently that there has been a glut of new CGC comics on the market that its made the CGC market questionable. I am thinking that there should be a moratorium on new comic books for at least five years. At least until, we can see if raw books can hold their value on their own. In fact, I think there should be a new section for scarce books or hard to find near mint books. It's hard to compare a 1960's book or older and call it 9.4 to a new book on the market and call it 9.4 as well. Let's not force the grade if it isn't there. I guess that is why you have grader notes. What do you all think?

I say :preach: dathnr;tnepiar j234=ad fhioa ;ohah h' ahftHIT AGTH ahfrdajb

and then add a;ofhf;orhth32 adfj a'pjre gf' hjgt'rjga reo hrae'ghre 'ghre 'h

I think recently that there has been a glut of new CGC comics on the market that its made the CGC market questionable. I am thinking that there should be a moratorium on new comic books for at least five years. At least until, we can see if raw books can hold their value on their own. In fact, I think there should be a new section for scarce books or hard to find near mint books. It's hard to compare a 1960's book or older and call it 9.4 to a new book on the market and call it 9.4 as well. Let's not force the grade if it isn't there. I guess that is why you have grader notes. What do you all think?

I say :preach: dathnr;tnepiar j234=ad fhioa ;ohah h' ahftHIT AGTH ahfrdajb

and then add a;ofhf;orhth32 adfj a'pjre gf' hjgt'rjga reo hrae'ghre 'ghre 'h

A well-thought out response.

:cloud9:

P.S hsdFDGKJBKJshfios2h348291h87kgiukgugbubihighi CGC it

See what happens when I fire up my press.

I start pressing and somewhere else in the world somebody else loses their mind.

It's like the whole "butterfly flapping their wings over in China making hurricanes over here" thing or something...

:insane:

I start pressing and somewhere else in the world somebody else loses their mind.

It's like the whole "butterfly flapping their wings over in China making hurricanes over here" thing or something...

Where's my book :whistle:

Pouring rain today.

Was gonna mail it tomorrow.

Or maybe next week... :sumo:

Jeebus Pete what is making the loony questions come out?

I really dont know where to start with this one but Ill give it the old college try :thumbsup:

I think recently that there has been a glut of new CGC comics on the market that its made the CGC market questionable.

So CGC should shutter their business while we wait to see how the market adapts and adjusts to a lot of books getting graded? Sorry, the market determines values as the values are determined by the individual buyers. No need to wait, we get real-time feedback

I am thinking that there should be a moratorium on new comic books for at least five years. At least until, we can see if raw books can hold their value on their own

Raw is not graded. And the two, while they have some common ties are different parts of the same hobby. Again, it isnt CGCs job to wait and see if raw books hold their value. In fact, the market has been doing that for the decade that CGC has been in business. Some books hold their value, some dont. Again, the market/buyers dictate value.

In fact, I think there should be a new section for scarce books or hard to find near mint books.
Um, no clue how to respond

It's hard to compare a 1960's book or older and call it 9.4 to a new book on the market and call it 9.4 as well. Let's not force the grade if it isn't there

Actually it is very easy. Thats why we have a gradig scale. It easily lets us measure the condition of a book. Generally a 9.4 is a 9.4

Let's not force the grade if it isn't there. I guess that is why you have grader notes.
Huh?

What do you all think?

I think there is nothing like Vaudeville

Most cognisant and very poetic. (thumbs u

Pouring rain today.

Was gonna mail it tomorrow.

Or maybe next week... :sumo:

:D

I really dont know where to start with this one but Ill give it the old college try :thumbsup:

I think recently that there has been a glut of new CGC comics on the market that its made the CGC market questionable.

So CGC should shutter their business while we wait to see how the market adapts and adjusts to a lot of books getting graded? Sorry, the market determines values as the values are determined by the individual buyers. No need to wait, we get real-time feedback

I am thinking that there should be a moratorium on new comic books for at least five years. At least until, we can see if raw books can hold their value on their own

Raw is not graded. And the two, while they have some common ties are different parts of the same hobby. Again, it isnt CGCs job to wait and see if raw books hold their value. In fact, the market has been doing that for the decade that CGC has been in business. Some books hold their value, some dont. Again, the market/buyers dictate value.

In fact, I think there should be a new section for scarce books or hard to find near mint books.

It's hard to compare a 1960's book or older and call it 9.4 to a new book on the market and call it 9.4 as well. Let's not force the grade if it isn't there

Actually it is very easy. Thats why we have a gradig scale. It easily lets us measure the condition of a book. Generally a 9.4 is a 9.4

Let's not force the grade if it isn't there. I guess that is why you have grader notes.
Huh?

What do you all think?

Most cognisant and very poetic. (thumbs u

:foryou:

Huh?

What do you all think?

Frog twaddle. (thumbs u

fixed

This past weekend. I felt the urge to howl and did, several times.

Were you rockin' out to some Bieber at the time? :baiting:

:gossip: spicy enchiladas.....,