• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tomb Of Dracula #1

103 posts in this topic

unless the back cover has flaws, the front looks 7.5 or so based on the sligthly rounded corners, one thumb crease on the edge and a few spine dings...a very nice copy. I am not sure it is worth slabbing though. I haven't check GPA but I am guessing a 7.0 to 7.5 might go for less than $100.

the centering is perfect here. This is one issue where centering is problematic because of the text on the bottom of the cover. There are books that may may align left to right perfectly but not vertically. If the centering is slightly crooked as are many books, the "NIGHT OF THE VAMPIRE" will not align and get cut off at the bottom edge.

Tod1.jpg

My off the spinner rack copy. Got the Adams siggie at an early Phil Sueling show in NYC in 1973.

It's already been mentioned that the series floundered a bit for the first 6 issues, and while that has some truth, the Gardner Fox written issues were pretty damn good. The series clearly came into its own with the arrival of Marv Wolfman. The art team of Colan/Palmer was one of the Bronze ages best collaborations.

I started to read fewer comics in the 70's, but I never stopped reading TOD. It was the best written/plotted/drawn and inked series which Marvel was producing at the time.

My copy has a very nice wrap. It's only about a 6.0 unfortunately, but the wrap helps it present very well. Here's a photo:

SAM_0050.jpg

About as nice of centering as you'll find on that book.

Agreed. I've been sorting through quite a few sites trying to find one, and I haven't seen many even that well centered, regardless of grade.

My copy has a very nice wrap. It's only about a 6.0 unfortunately, but the wrap helps it present very well. Here's a photo:

SAM_0050.jpg

About as nice of centering as you'll find on that book.

TOD1CGC96.jpg

I think the cover is awesome. Here is my beater:

TOD1front.jpg

I would like to acquire a nicer copy but like everyone else I want a nicely centered copy of great colors. I am looking for 7.5+.

In addition to the common miswraps it is almost impossible to find a copy that has the picture frame edge line up with the edge of the spine.

My example is crooked. This makes me wonder if it is crooked on the art?

My copies,

This belongs in my slabbed bronze key/semi key 9.4 WHITE collection...

img646.jpg

This guys fits in my raw run (tempted to slab this as well, nice white pages)...

img647.jpg

This one is up for sale/trade, but does have some major tanning issues...

img648.jpg

None with a perfect wrap though.