• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

do you read comics or just collect them?

Read or Collect  

348 members have voted

1. 1. Read or Collect

69 posts in this topic

BIG TIME reader, and not just comics.

I try read one book a week, and three comics a day.

At my current rate, if I don't buy another new comic ever, I should be caught up with reading what I currently have in about 1.5 - 2 years.

You should be in the 1000 comics in a year thread.

I didn't know there was such a thing.

I just searched that and couldn't find it.

Link?

Link

Sweet! Thanks

I recall seeing this thread title now, I guess I just never looked at it.

I love to collect, but I read everything I get, maybe not right away, but eventually. I only collect what I like, which is why I only buy 2 new comics per month, Batman and Detective. The rest of the comics budget goes toward back issues.

I collect mostly for the cover art.

+1 - I pick up trades from time to time and occasionally will read through, but by and large, cover art for me. I went from collecting baseball cards to comics when I was a kid - so it always made sense to me. No one around me understands that point - glad other people out there do!

I collect the books just to collect. I love collecting my favorite heroes and various other stories, but a lot of it is cover art. Simply put, if J. Scott Campbell did the cover art, I'll buy it. Aside from that, I buy Batman, Daredevil, and Alice in Wonderland related books. Despite buying the books though, I read everything digitally. I find it easier and it helps protect the books. I never really intend on selling, but that doesn't mean I don't care how they maintain condition.

When I was a kid I only collected for the cover art. I just recently started reading them but I still think I collect more for the cover art. I still cant believe it is $2.99 to $3.99 an issue. I read a The new Locke & Key:Grindhouse the other day and said come on thats all 16 pages of story for $3.99. I know you are paying for the art to but I still think there should be more pages of actual reading for the price of a comics these days.

I'm still a regular ever Wednesday at the comic shop although my pull list has waned a bit. I was doing around 15 titles a month- now I am down to about 7-8.

I love TPBs also and collect/read quite a bit of those.

I am finding that I am reading more and more books digitally. It is easy to buy a bunch of things and read them on the subway. It cuts down on the moderns piling up. The only downside is that in the old days, I would just gather up the moderns and sell them all online to get back some money for newer stuff.

As of now my weekly pull list:

Batman

Amazing Spider-man

Archer and Armstrong

X-O Manowar

Bloodshot

Harbinger

Strangely my weekly pull list in 2012 is very much like my weekly pull list from the early 90's.

Digitally though, I wound up buying every segment of X-Men/ Avengers and all of the tie ins as well as a few other things like Deadpool kills the Marvel Universe, and many issues of various Avengers titles.

What about 'Read And Don't Collect'? (shrug)

Yep or...

"Sometimes read and collect"?

I sometimes get in the mood and i'll read a key or a few issues but I am not an avid reader of my comics.

I mainly enjoy the cover art, condition, aesthetics, rather than a lot of the stories (such as I have read most of ASM run in the early and mid 70s years....but I don't reality read my JIM run except for a few issues).

[font:Book Antiqua]I collect and read.

Sadly many times I cannot read what I collect.

My collection focus is mainly CGC 9.8 previous 1980 or CGC SS.

And my reading (affordable) focus is after 1980.

If I could find a reader copy of the book that I already have in 9.8 lucky me,

but that don’t happen often...[/font]

:(

What about digital?

What about digital?

[font:Book Antiqua]I don’t have a Face book account or Twitter,

so you have an idea...[/font]

:grin:

I collect high grade Bronze Age Marvels.

I have about 400+ "reading copies" of virtually every Marvel title from the 1st 1/2 of the Bronze Age 1970 to about 1975ish. I have many 12¢, mainly 15¢ & 20¢, alot 25¢. I stopped there.

I reread the stories Marvel produced then. I still think alot of the writing then blows away what is written today. Again, I am biased.

I collect high grade Bronze Age Marvels.

I have about 400+ "reading copies" of virtually every Marvel title from the 1st 1/2 of the Bronze Age 1970 to about 1975ish. I have many 12¢, mainly 15¢ & 20¢, alot 25¢. I stooped there.

I reread the stories Marvel produced then. I still think alot of the writing then blows away what is written today. Again, I am biased.

I'm pretty much the same way. I can read virtually any Marvel comic from the 70's and enjoy it. (thumbs u