• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PM sent

53 posts in this topic

I always wondered why people post "PM sent" in threads? This is usually but not limited to sales threads.

Sigh.

I am actually going to take your question seriously and provide a serious comparison. The best way to look at someone posting a "PM sent", especially in a sales thread is to consider the male dog that marks his territory. It is basically the same thing. (thumbs u

:jokealert: (well sort of)

Do people really feel that way? I've left a few of them myself, and it's certainly never been as a challenge to others, or to mark my territory. I'm not sure why I do it, except that I think sales threads are interesting, and I like to see what kind of action is going on and to contribute my own. :shrug:

If there is any fear of loss involved (ie. someone feels they may lose out on the deal) then a PM sent will get people a little more motivated IMO to pull the trigger.

Personally though, if it's something desirable the last thing I'd want to do is tell everyone that I'm interested in it too.

lol

If someone has a question/offer on an active thread, I like to see PM sent. My messsage box is always flashing and I don't check it sometimes when I'm listing a lot of books. If I see PM sent, I'll make it a point to go read it instead of waiting until I've finished posting.

I always wondered why people post "PM sent" in threads?

Why did you make this thread?...I wonder why people find it necessary to make such threads... it's like the famous FB posts with the likes of "I just woke up, I hate Mondays, my breakfast will probably be ok, my laundry basket is getting full, but I will go to work anyways"....uhhhmm..what?!!!!?

Scares off the lurkers, lets people know you made an offer or bought it already..I hate it when I see a message the book is still available after a PM scared off some potential buyers...

Your explanation is much more elegant than mine was, but we are saying the same thing :applause: