• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have TMNT #1 that I need a grade on!

42 posts in this topic

Thank you to everyone who gave their honest opinion. Grading seems to be very subjective and to me the true value is how bad does the buyer want it and how desperate is the seller to make a buck. Just like in real estate it is two informed parties coming together to make a transaction and who has the best poker face comes out on top. If BOTH buyer and seller feel sick to their stomach then you know a fair transaction has been made. But thats just me and I am new to the CGC system. I am old school when we graded our own comics and did not need to ship them off to a third party.

Thank you to everyone who gave their honest opinion. Grading seems to be very subjective and to me the true value is how bad does the buyer want it and how desperate is the seller to make a buck. Just like in real estate it is two informed parties coming together to make a transaction and who has the best poker face comes out on top. If BOTH buyer and seller feel sick to their stomach then you know a fair transaction has been made. But thats just me and I am new to the CGC system. I am old school when we graded our own comics and did not need to ship them off to a third party.

Yeah, the good old days where you could pass off a $1000 book with a color touch as unrestored, find some rube to think it is a first print when it's a second, and you could do it all and pretend you didn't even know you were ripping someone else off.

You knew who you were then.

Girls were girls and men were men.

you still charging $15000 for both?

Yeah, the good old days where you could pass off a $1000 book with a color touch as unrestored, find some rube to think it is a first print when it's a second, and you could do it all and pretend you didn't even know you were ripping someone else off.

You knew who you were then.

Girls were girls and men were men.

+1 BIG TIME!

dancing.gifdancing.gifdancing.gifdancing.gif

7.5 - 8.0 from me. (don't know what the sigs on the inside will do - I've seen CGC note it on a blue label or use a green label). Others will have imput here.

That's crazy low ... the book is 9.0 or better.

With a press - to get the thumb indentations out - you're looking at an easy 9.2.

Mike,

Even with the spine tick and the color loss ticks at the top of the f/c? I know a press would help, but 9.2? Also, it looks like that slight crease on the top left of the back cover has some color break to it also.

Yep - try comparing it to some of the already-slabbed 9.0 and 9.2 copies of this book :thumbsup:

7.5 - 8.0 from me. (don't know what the sigs on the inside will do - I've seen CGC note it on a blue label or use a green label). Others will have imput here.

With a press - to get the thumb indentations out - you're looking at an easy 9.2.

I totally agree with the 9.0 on that black covered book

Grading under a microscope may sound appealing to you but it takes the enjoyment out of just possessing what I consider to be pieces of history. This is the only hobby industry where you can't restore your collectibles and collectors agonize over minute blemishes things like how smooth the surface of a cover is. Next year Ninja Turtles will be released and I am curious as to what I can sell these comics for. Maybe15k is too high for you but for me its not high enough. Its not easy for me to part with my treasures but I am willing to negotiate with serious parties before I change my mind. Again I thank everyone for your opinions on grading.

Grading under a microscope may sound appealing to you but it takes the enjoyment out of just possessing what I consider to be pieces of history. This is the only hobby industry where you can't restore your collectibles and collectors agonize over minute blemishes things like how smooth the surface of a cover is. Next year Ninja Turtles will be released and I am curious as to what I can sell these comics for. Maybe15k is too high for you but for me its not high enough. Its not easy for me to part with my treasures but I am willing to negotiate with serious parties before I change my mind. Again I thank everyone for your opinions on grading.

When you want $15,000 for a couple of magazine or comic books, you can be rest assured serious collectors will want to examine them thoroughly!

To think otherwise is foolish IMO.

Why do you even want to sell these books?

Are you just trolling to find out a grade so you can properly assess the value?

These "vets" here at this forum are pretty savy. I think you know that already.

Mike,

Even with the spine tick and the color loss ticks at the top of the f/c? I know a press would help, but 9.2? Also, it looks like that slight crease on the top left of the back cover has some color break to it also.

Yep - try comparing it to some of the already-slabbed 9.0 and 9.2 copies of this book :thumbsup:

I agree with Mike. I think it's a 8.5/9.0 right now, and would be an easy 9.2 after a press. 2c

When you want $15,000 for a couple of magazine or comic books, you can be rest assured serious collectors will want to examine them thoroughly!

To think otherwise is foolish IMO.

Why do you even want to sell these books?

Are you just trolling to find out a grade so you can properly assess the value?

These "vets" here at this forum are pretty savy. I think you know that already.

sherlock.gif

Grading under a microscope may sound appealing to you but it takes the enjoyment out of just possessing what I consider to be pieces of history.

That's why we send the books to CGC. So they can "look under a microscope" for us.

This is the only hobby industry where you can't restore your collectibles

Of course you can restore comic books. In fact, restoring certain comic books is far more acceptable and encouraged than restoring antique wood furniture.

and collectors agonize over minute blemishes things like how smooth the surface of a cover is. Next year Ninja Turtles will be released and I am curious as to what I can sell these comics for. Maybe15k is too high for you but for me its not high enough. Its not easy for me to part with my treasures but I am willing to negotiate with serious parties before I change my mind. Again I thank everyone for your opinions on grading.

WTTB :hi:

You wouldn't happen to go by blackstarcomics on ebay do you?

If that's the case, then what exactly is it that makes your book worth $14K more than this copy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item231e92fa1a&item=150836804122&nma=true&pt=US_Comic_Books&rt=nc&si=%252Fh57HdH7UOcnLVyHHGba%252Bw28z1Q%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc