• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preliminary Artwork - Rough Drafts

23 posts in this topic

Artist - Rich Larson

Stage 2 Preliminary sketch for a commissioned Fastner & Larson painting.

surfer_galactus_sketch-1.jpg

Rich first draws the image in all black pencil. He then draws a second one more like this with the blue pencils for shading reference. Steve Fastner then uses this as a reference for his paintings.

DG.

Sometimes I like to get preliminary art pieces. They will usually have some kind of variation from the finalized print version. Feel Free to add images of your own.

Artist - Frank Brunner

Preliminary cover to Wildstar #5

Prelim_Wildstar005.jpg

awesome!

you nailed it
doubtful. ;)

Phil Hale tends to do prelims to work out things for very different reasons than a lot of other artists. Most will do thumbnails and then adjust an arm, or the lighting, or the scene slightly on some way or other. This one looks nothing like the finished painting, but was a step along the way to working everything out. So the prelim becomes a sort of unique piece in it's own right. 35.5" x 20" oil on stretched linen panels.

403891140.jpg

-e.

I'll have to go through my files. I know I have a couple of "first drafts" of comic pages that for one reason or another were changed. I guess if they change it, it is not really a prelim then, is it?

I was lucky enough to get the prelim to one of my favorite pieces in my CAF.

I got it after I bought the finished painting because I just love the image so much (and I'm a completest nerd).

129901.jpg.28b955de85fa6278b17dc630f46c0134.jpg

I've got two cover prelims by Mike Choi. Uncanny X-Force 7 and X-23 Target X 03 respectively. The X-Force I like for the layouts and the roughs of the characters. The X-23 I love because there is so little difference from the original artwork which I saw listed very high due it being the "finished cover". It's such a beautiful cover anyways, it's nice to see in it's simpler form.

X-Force7CoverPrelim.jpg

X-23-TargetX-CoverPrelim.jpg

Here are a few prelims I got from some commissioned paintings I had done by Thomas Frisano a few years ago. I loved the guys paintings and when I saw his prelims,I was floored! I love me some good pencil work!! Check out my CAF link to see the finished paintings!

scaryspidypencil.jpg

greengoblinspidermanpencil.jpg

pencilhulkthing.jpg

pencildjinn.jpg

citybattle.jpg