• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pretty Books of the Day - 1963-64 Supermans

56 posts in this topic

in response to the wishes of some DC fans on the "nice run completed" thread, i decided to post a bunch of Superman covers from mid 1963 to mid 1964.

as is typical with my collection, these happen to be the best of the lot as i was winding down my collecting habit in late 1964. these are typical of all my DC's from that last year in the hobby.

and, in case you hadn't heard it before, these were all purchased originally by me at Sid's luncheonette in Orange NJ. grin.gif

1087808946607_superman.jpg

1091175004458_superman_001.jpg

1089699120253_superman_002.jpg

1087835627572_superman_003.jpg

1090595669351_superman_004.jpg

1090732332928_superman_005.jpg

1090212915134_superman_006.jpg

Beautiful! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I love that period, with the great Curt Swan / George Klein artwork.

Are you missing the #164? Cause I remember that as the beginning of the 'reformed' Lex Luthor series, in which he becomes the hero on another world (ties in to the classic Superman 167 & 168 and then a couple of issues of Action Comics soon thereafter).

How the frick do you have your originals in such good shape?...didn't you read them like a normal kid?,...take them to the beach and camping?...use them as costers?...play comic book twister???.... 893frustrated.gif

How the frick do you have your originals in such good shape?...didn't you read them like a normal kid?,...take them to the beach and camping?...use them as costers?...play comic book twister???.... 893frustrated.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

27_laughing.gif, comic book twister...

"Right hand Action #1, left leg Amazing Fantasy #15"

sign-funnypost.gif

27_laughing.gif, comic book twister...

"Right hand Action #1, left leg Amazing Fantasy #15"

lol - that is a funny post!!!!!!

but as i said, these are the best of the best. most of my DC stuff from early 1963 and back starts to go down into the VF mode, and then we get into the F/VF for a year and so on. the pre 1962 stuff has the typical problems across the board.

the best part though is that i've got about 5-10 copies of most every DC title in this shape from that time period. cloud9.gif

Beautiful! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I love that period, with the great Curt Swan / George Klein artwork.

Are you missing the #164? Cause I remember that as the beginning of the 'reformed' Lex Luthor series, in which he becomes the hero on another world (ties in to the classic Superman 167 & 168 and then a couple of issues of Action Comics soon thereafter).

thanks - i have about every book from 100-170. but in the 160-170 range, these are the best. although i think i have 2 or 3 others that have some printers creases on them (check out the one on Atlas' leg on the Bizarro cover), which aren't color breaking creases as much as original defects. the Atlas crease isn't noticible to the naked eye as there's no color loss. it looks like a normal crease due to the scanner's light reflecting off of the slightly raised ridge, that is the printer's crease.

if that's the case, i'll post #164 tomorrow. i think it had supes and luthor boxing on the cover?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"the best part though is that i've got about 5-10 copies of most every DC title in this shape from that time period. "

the early stuff or the later stuff? 893whatthe.gif

sorry if i wasn't clear - the best books are mostly (there are notable exceptions) in the mid 1963 thru 1964 timeframe. smile.gif

Right, I understand that the best condition books are 63/64, but do you mean to say that your multiples are in the early time frame or the late time frame?

Either way, congrats 893applaud-thumb.gif

Right, I understand that the best condition books are 63/64, but do you mean to say that your multiples are in the early time frame or the late time frame?

Either way, congrats 893applaud-thumb.gif

gotcha - by 5-10 copies, i meant DIFFERENT copies. i NEVER conciously bought multiples copies unless i was replacing one that i messed up somehow.

what i have are approx 5-10 different issues of almost every DC title between mid 1963 and late 1964 in HG. and just about every other title in 7.0 - 8.0 from 1962 on and then mostly 6.0's during 1960-62. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif