• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,034 posts in this topic

On 7/23/2021 at 9:06 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

My economy magazines

Delivered 2/24

Received 3/17 

GEI 7/8

Went to QC today 7/23

My modern mags have all the same dates but are still at GEI as of 7/8

My economy magazines

Delivered 2/24

Received 3/17 

GEI 7/8

Went to QC today 7/23

and we have "shipped" today 7/24 and it'll go out Monday 7/26, but at least I got grades :) 

On 7/24/2021 at 12:04 PM, workingdog said:

Not CCS.  Yesterday morning TAT's were hovering between 82 to 85 days.  This morning it's 126 days  :tonofbricks:

I did see that😭 on the positive side grading times went a little; until those books make it out of press.  Damn, I though there was a positive here. 

On 7/24/2021 at 4:10 AM, loboagain said:

Matt Nelson on Tales From the Flipside earlier this week.  Start around the 40 minute mark to get his take on turnaround times, grading and other stuff.  

Matt states in this interview that TATs are going to get worse for a while. 

Thanks for the link. Very informative.

One observation...

I was always under the impression that the Friday before a convention doesn't count towards the TATs. But Matt says that no graders attend unless they're doing onsite grading. For the shows that don't do onsite grading, he said that he goes (and possibly Shawn), but that's it. All the other graders are still back at CGC doing their thing.

(shrug) Maybe the 'those Fridays don't count' thing changed a while back & I just didn't get the memo.

On 7/24/2021 at 10:09 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

My economy magazines

Delivered 2/24

Received 3/17 

GEI 7/8

Went to QC today 7/23

and we have "shipped" today 7/24 and it'll go out Monday 7/26, but at least I got grades :) 

Yeah my Value tier book, has been sitting in GEI for 4 weeks now. Kinda strange.... It definitely didn’t used to move like this. It would be 1-3 days at most in SFG and then 1-3 days in Quality Control 

this GEI is driving me crazy. 

On 7/25/2021 at 4:57 AM, Ryan. said:

Matt states in this interview that TATs are going to get worse for a while. 

Yeah, this was said more as things will get worse before they get better but it actually sounded like a great answer to me. Certainly better than things are getting worse and we have no idea when or if it will improve.

Specifically he said that he expects by the end of the year things will be much better with regards to TAT’s and that they expect to be “cruising” come 2022. This coupled with some comments about how the blackstone deal is allowing them to “really grow this thing”, and the references to the hiring and training efforts underway all lead me to have a positive take away from this. Although my expectations for TAT’s were low to begin with I suppose, never expect things to get better by the end of the year, but maybe if you did this didn’t sound that great.

On 7/25/2021 at 11:26 PM, wiparker824 said:

Yeah, this was said more as things will get worse before they get better but it actually sounded like a great answer to me. Certainly better than things are getting worse and we have no idea when or if it will improve.

Specifically he said that he expects by the end of the year things will be much better with regards to TAT’s and that they expect to be “cruising” come 2022. This coupled with some comments about how the blackstone deal is allowing them to “really grow this thing”, and the references to the hiring and training efforts underway all lead me to have a positive take away from this. Although my expectations for TAT’s were low to begin with I suppose, never expect things to get better by the end of the year, but maybe if you did this didn’t sound that great.

Based on the past decade or so, TAT's tend to get better through November - February/March due to a lack of submissions at conventions. I am curious to see whether the number of new graders they hire is actually able to make a dent in the backlog of books this year during the slow season. If they add more in-house signings during that time, I do not see how they can make a meaningful dent in TAT's unless they hire 5X (if not more) the number of graders that they currently have. On-site grading submissions at cons + in-house signings + high prices driving more submissions means the backlog is here to stay for a while.

On 7/25/2021 at 7:39 AM, Gaard said:

Thanks for the link. Very informative.

One observation...

I was always under the impression that the Friday before a convention doesn't count towards the TATs. But Matt says that no graders attend unless they're doing onsite grading. For the shows that don't do onsite grading, he said that he goes (and possibly Shawn), but that's it. All the other graders are still back at CGC doing their thing.

(shrug) Maybe the 'those Fridays don't count' thing changed a while back & I just didn't get the memo.

I've been wondering this exact thing for awhile now. I know for a fact that Friday's didn't count as a business day during Con season, but maybe that has changed. Honestly that really changes TAT if you can start counting Friday's as actual days. Interesting....

On 7/26/2021 at 11:00 AM, comixry said:

It will be interesting to see TATs in the next 6 months or so. CGC is definitely no longer the nimble speedboat it once was 20 years ago but rather an aircraft carrier (cruise ship?). It will take some time to pivot and right the course.

More like a drifting barge. Their business model is inexplicably flawed.