• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,089 posts in this topic

On 2/25/2022 at 8:26 AM, greggy said:

They finally made that one clickable but I realized that they created a label for FedEx Ground instead of FedEx Economy so I called customer service who spoke with the shipping manager who will try to get it fixed.  I hope the new unclickable one won't get the same treatment and I will have to call again. 

image.thumb.png.8d37a17d1bc4f00667089abe99153480.png

image.thumb.png.3864bd3dda7906e40d41d3c2424f3fbb.png

25 Modern Fast Track

12/3 Delivered to CGC

12/8 Received

12/8 SFG

12/23: GEI

2/16: G/QC

2/17: Shipped

2/24: Delivered :banana:

1 Mechanical Error

1/10: Delivered to CGC

1/13: SFG

2/14: GEI

2/28: Shipped

1 George Perez Signature Series w/ Pressing

1/28: Delivered to CGC

2/22: Received at CCS

1 Brian Michael Bendis/Mark Bagley Signature Series w/Pressing

1/28: Delivered to CGC

So my Mechanical Error is scheduled to ship out on Monday but it has the wrong info listed on my submission page, which is why it was sent back.  The original submission now has the correct info where it did not before.  Is this normal?

I still haven't received the email about the Perez signing but book is Received at CCS while my Bendis/Bagley signing hasn't been received yet even though they were delivered in the same box.  (shrug)

On 2/24/2022 at 3:42 PM, PKJ said:

My 9-30 Modern Submissions just hit shipped , Seemed a little tight on grading but all of this batch (except the Spidey 194) were books I bought off the rack. My Value submissions still haven't moved.

Ironically the only two with graders notes had the exact same notes

Comic Description:
Amazing Spider-Man 194 7/79 Marvel Comics

Grader Notes:
light bends to cover
light creasing to cover
light spine stress lines to cover

Comic Description:
Usagi Yojimbo 1 7/87 Fantagraphics Books

Grader Notes:
light bends to cover
light creasing to cover
light spine stress lines to cover

Yep. That is the usual copy & paste job I get on my books.

On 2/24/2022 at 7:11 AM, cd4ever said:

Doesn't bother me.  I just figure around 22 business days a month and go from there.  The TAT's are such a rough estimate anyway, it's barely relevant. I'll get them when I get them.

I just use this website so I don’t have to think.

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/workdays.html

On 2/25/2022 at 7:06 PM, Wheresmymarvelvaluestamp said:

Yep. That is the usual copy & paste job I get on my books.

So basically, not only are the turn around times extremely long, but the grades are worse and grader notes are either missing or repetitive.  Sure sounds like a losing proposition.

I called yesterday as a submission of mine has not been put into the system yet.  They have on the website that they are currently opening books received 1/24 and mine got there on 1/19.  The rep told me to wait another week or so and maybe it will show up.  While I was on the phone with her I noticed that the books that I sent in April that only got into the system on 6/24 weren't there anymore.  She told me not to worry that they don't display after 8 months with nothing happening to them.  :( 

I just received the bill on my Visa for the first ever CGC submission I have done on my own (usually go through a presser, but started to press my own books). It is for modern tier, no pre-screen and no fast track. 

I know this is highly variable, but roughly how big a lag is there between billing and having the books hitting the grading stage? I submitted this group in mid Nov and was not expecting anything until spring or early summer. Apologies in advance for the newbie question. 

On 2/25/2022 at 7:09 PM, Petroman said:

So basically, not only are the turn around times extremely long, but the grades are worse and grader notes are either missing or repetitive.  Sure sounds like a losing proposition.

Pretty much. And the consensus is we just take it because they are the top grading company. I cut my submissions by at least half this last year.

On 2/25/2022 at 3:45 PM, Jemin said:

So my Mechanical Error is scheduled to ship out on Monday but it has the wrong info listed on my submission page, which is why it was sent back.  The original submission now has the correct info where it did not before.  Is this normal?

Yes. This happened to one of my ME returns. Go by the original submission details.

Good luck!

On 2/26/2022 at 9:03 AM, Stefan_W said:

I just received the bill on my Visa for the first ever CGC submission I have done on my own (usually go through a presser, but started to press my own books). It is for modern tier, no pre-screen and no fast track. 

I know this is highly variable, but roughly how big a lag is there between billing and having the books hitting the grading stage? I submitted this group in mid Nov and was not expecting anything until spring or early summer. Apologies in advance for the newbie question. 

Great question.
'It varies' is the only answer to provide.
Below is a comparison between my September and October slow boat modern with no pressing submissions.
In September my card was charged and then a month later it moved into 'grading / quality control'.
In October my card was charged the same day it moved into 'grading / quality control'.

September
Shipped to CGC                9/7
Delivered to CGC              9/10
‘Received’ by CGC           10/6 (18 business days later / 18 days so far)
Scheduled for Grading     10/6 (0 days later / 18 days so far)
Grading / Encapsulation   10/6 (0 days later / 18 days so far)
Credit Card Charged        1/18 (66 business days later / 84 days so far)
Grading / Quality Control  2/23 (25 business days later / 109 days so far)
Shipped

October
Shipped to CGC              9/25
Delivered to CGC            9/27
‘Received’ by CGC         10/13 (12 business days later / 12 days so far)
Scheduled for Grading    10/13 (0 business days later / 12 days so far)
Grading / Encapsulation 10/13 (0 business days later / 12 days so far)
Credit Card Charged       1/18 (62 business days later / 84 days so far)
Grading / Quality Control 1/18 (0 business days later / 84 days so far)
Shipped

Edited by Troy Division

@dikran1 I agree with your first one. I don't use GPA (GC guy) and I have no interest in the registry. I can be involved in the chat boards without using CGC (well, technically, I'd be using CGC, but you know what I mean). Got anything else?

Edited by Gaard

On 2/27/2022 at 12:14 PM, Troy Division said:

Great question.
'It varies' is the only answer to provide.
Below is a comparison between my September and October slow boat modern with no pressing submissions.
In September my card was charged and then a month later it moved into 'grading / quality control'.
In October my card was charged the same day it moved into 'grading / quality control'.

September
Shipped to CGC                9/7
Delivered to CGC              9/10
‘Received’ by CGC           10/6 (18 business days later / 18 days so far)
Scheduled for Grading     10/6 (0 days later / 18 days so far)
Grading / Encapsulation   10/6 (0 days later / 18 days so far)
Credit Card Charged        1/18 (66 business days later / 84 days so far)
Grading / Quality Control  2/23 (25 business days later / 109 days so far)
Shipped

October
Shipped to CGC              9/25
Delivered to CGC            9/27
‘Received’ by CGC         10/13 (12 business days later / 12 days so far)
Scheduled for Grading    10/13 (0 business days later / 12 days so far)
Grading / Encapsulation 10/13 (0 business days later / 12 days so far)
Credit Card Charged       1/18 (62 business days later / 84 days so far)
Grading / Quality Control 1/18 (0 business days later / 84 days so far)
Shipped

Thank you for taking the time to write this up, it is really helpful.

The random factor makes life interesting, I guess :) 

On 2/27/2022 at 1:45 PM, Gaard said:

@dikran1 I agree with your first one. I don't use GPA (GC guy) and I have no interest in the registry. I can be involved in the chat boards without using CGC (well, technically, I'd be using CGC, but you know what I mean). Got anything else?

I think number 1 is pretty much all that matters… but once the gap starts to close all bets are off. I honestly don’t know why GPA doesn’t track sales of the other grading companies but it remains the closest thing to determining a “fair market value”. The registry is pretty much a throwback to when this hobby was about collecting runs rather than just keys, I enjoy seeing some of the insane collections. Flex, before it was a thing on YouTube 😂