• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,076 posts in this topic

So it looks like the major backlogs are here:

Modern which is currently 100 business days vs their targeted 20 business days turnaround.

Economy which is currently 120 business days vs their targeted 40 business days turnaround.

Value which is currently 120 business days vs their targeted 40 business days turnaround.

Everything else seems to be on track per this page:

http://www.cgccomics.com/services/Services.aspx

Modern seems to be the most impacted as they are 5X behind vs 3X behind for Economy and Value Tiers. It's the cheapest tier but NOT that cheap as compared to the Value Tier.

Fast tracks and Standards are also behind, though this chart does not show that they are.

Sadly, :pullhair:, that chart has been something of a joke for the entire 10+ years it has been available!

Don't be silly - there's been long stretches where all the tiers were on time.

They may or may not be catching up but convention season will be starting up again in the next couple of weeks and submissions will increase again so is it short lived?

Not to mention they have on-site grading scheduled for mid March.

That will probably stick a fork in all production for the better part of two weeks.

My understanding is that for MegaCon they shuttle books back and forth to Sarasota, so it's not like other shows where an encapsulation machine is completely out of commission while it's being shipped to and from the show.

There are two other on-site events just a few months later.

Both events are 4 days long each.

The second on-site event you're referring to is WW Chicago - which is 5 months later.

It'd be interesting to compare the number of submissions that are finalized at an on-site show versus the number of submissions CGC would have done if they weren't doing on-site grading - my opinion is that on-site grading actually helps with the bottle neck because it's so intensely concentrated hm

They may or may not be catching up but convention season will be starting up again in the next couple of weeks and submissions will increase again so is it short lived?

That will probably stick a fork in all production for the better part of two weeks.

My understanding is that for MegaCon they shuttle books back and forth to Sarasota, so it's not like other shows where an encapsulation machine is completely out of commission while it's being shipped to and from the show.

The second on-site event you're referring to is WW Chicago - which is 5 months later.

It'd be interesting to compare the number of submissions that are finalized at an on-site show versus the number of submissions CGC would have done if they weren't doing on-site grading - my opinion is that on-site grading actually helps with the bottle neck because it's so intensely concentrated hm

Their on-site grading events this year are...

Megacon on March 15 through 17

Wizard World Philadelphia on May 30 through June 2

Wizard World Chicago on August 8 through 11

That's roughly 2 months apart on each one with the first one in March.

Their on-site grading events this year are...

Megacon on March 15 through 17

Wizard World Philadelphia on May 30 through June 2

Wizard World Chicago on August 8 through 11

That's roughly 2 months apart on each one with the first one in March.

I read it as you saying that the two other on-site events were both a few months later :shrug:

I still don't think on-site grading causes any sort of significant delay in the submission queue - if you look at CGC's history of falling behind, the big delays always start right after the big non-onsite shows (like NYCC and SDCC).

Modern which is currently 100 business days vs their targeted 20 business days turnaround.

Economy which is currently 120 business days vs their targeted 40 business days turnaround.

Value which is currently 120 business days vs their targeted 40 business days turnaround.

Modern seems to be the most impacted as they are 5X behind vs 3X behind for Economy and Value Tiers. It's the cheapest tier but NOT that cheap as compared to the Value Tier.

Fast tracks and Standards are also behind, though this chart does not show that they are.

Sadly, :pullhair:, that chart has been something of a joke for the entire 10+ years it has been available!

That's quite possible. Have there been any in the last 3 years?

I just called today and they said the were up to grading 9/18 invoices. My invoice was received 11/6, even though technically I submitted it to DWC at NYCC. I'll get my order in June :(

Edited by stitchem05

That's quite possible. Have there been any in the last 3 years?

Fall 2010 as far as I remember.

I'll take your word for it, but I have to also assume that was the end of one of those "long stretches" you were referring to. Kind of sad that, even if we accept that date, CGC has been way behind for more than 2 YEARS.

I'll take your word for it, but I have to also assume that was the end of one of those "long stretches" you were referring to. Kind of sad that, even if we accept that date, CGC has been way behind for more than 2 YEARS.

No argument there!

While some readers may remember this, others will find this shocking. I believe while Steve Borock was still there they were pretty regularly running about 80 days on Economy. There was no value at the time. This was true practically from the day they started grading up until around 2004 or so , as I recall.

CGC finlly started catching up and then did something remarkable. They GUARANTEED that all books would be shipped by the stated time frame or you got your money back. And I'll be darned if they didn't do pretty well at that for awhile.

In fact, I recall at the time, I at least wondered if most of the comics worth grading had already been graded, really. My biggest concern with CGC at the time was that they were going to be like the circus in town. They grade a bunch of books and when all the good ones are done they declare BK and head out, leaving people with slabbed books holding the bag.

Apparantly my thoughts about the potential demise of CGC were unfounded. I just know at the time that when the backlog finally did clear, it caused just as much suspicion in my mind as the big backlog had!

The now 100-120 day wait makes the 80 day waits of the early 2000's seem pretty tame by comparison. Moreover the fast track certainly seems to be an interesting vehicle for sales. It almost guarantees that CGC will never get on time, even if by design. Otherwise, why pay for "fast track"? Paying an extra 10 bucks for saving 20 days hardly seems like a big deal when you are used to waiting 120 days!

In any case my thoughts of 7-8 years ago about the demise of CGC were clearly premature! lol

The announcement that the 'second' encapsulation machine would hardly ever leave the cgc facility this year was a big step forward though.

It does seem the graders are working their socks off to at least make some headway, so the news that both machines will be there most of the time is encouraging.

I was really obvious that on-site stuff at Cons had to be looked at if they ever wanted to try to reduce the backlog.

Moderns

9-17 moved to scheduled for grading today

9-19 verified

update... so the 9-19 invoice just went straight from "verified" to "graded" today. Anyone else had this happen?

Moderns

9-17 moved to scheduled for grading today

9-19 verified

update... so the 9-19 invoice just went straight from "verified" to "graded" today. Anyone else had this happen?

Yeah my Modern Fast Track went from verified to graded on 1-15.

1 Modern invoice from 8/30 changed to "Graded' on the website.

Pre-Screen Value invoices from 8/30 still "Scheduled for Grading" even though 2 other Pre-Screen Value invoices from the same day have been shipped and received.

i've got 6 of those from 8/27 all still "scheduled for grading"

Edited by paperheart

When people are stating status update for modern submissions are you referring to a modern prescreens or just a modern submission? The last time I called for an update on my modern prescreen cgc told me that prescreens were further behind.