• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Surely not legit ?

24 posts in this topic

Noticed these on ebay, a no reserve Superman #1 and a no reserve Batman #1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERMAN-1-CGC-6-0-Restored-Grade-Off-White-D-C-1939-NO-RESERVE-/330793067359?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4d04cda35f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATMAN-1-BAT-MAN-CGC-7-5-C-OW-D-C-1940-NO-RESERVE-/330792547760?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4d04c5b5b0

Seller is operating out of Germany, and feedback of just 11 selling 2 major books like this ?

Just seems too strange to be true, doesn't ebay have any filters for stuff like this to check out the validity of such a major and important item ?

What everyone else said, but if you look closely at the Batman 1, you can see the front cover photo shows a badly skewed Batman 1 of proportional size that is different than the one pictured in the back cover photo.

The amateurish photoshop skills (and there are tonnes of tells, especially the drop shadows) are a giveaway this guy is a scammer.

Yes. The pictures in his auctions are 100% fake Photoshop wet dreams. He's trying to catch a big fish with that bait.

His scams go the extra mile. Hopefully this is not a sign of what is to come. :(

About two years ago I reported a guy who kept building accounts with shill feedback to around 100 positive and then selling raw hulk 181 and ASM 129 with scans that looked in the 9.6/9.8 range a week after the auctions closed he would shut down the account and start again. eBay let it go on for a year....

I counted about 12-15 of these fake auctions. And if I could spot it ( the shills used for each account were all the same) why can't eBay. Answer is they can and they didn't give a spoon.

He's still doing it. He keeps like 10-15 shill accounts that he buys his own books with and leaves feedback minutes after the auctions close.

As eBay closes a few of his accounts down he makes a few more to weave into his nest of dishonesty.

I've not watched him in a while. One of his accounts was something like Clifford's Comics.

He likes to sell New Mutants 98's as well.

STILL!!! :o

One of his accounts was also called 'USPS mail fraud' or something like that..

Hope I am not hijacking this thread. Sorry if I am.

Even if eBay does not care about the sellers being defrauded because they can reimburse them with buyer protection don't they care about their insurance costs?

Also I find the buyer protection payout does not reflect the real cost of a fraudlent transaction. What about all the non economic loss of the buyers I.e distress. Or the harm it does to the comics market.

Maybe it will be like some segments of the civil war weapons market where many dealers refuse to buy and sell certain goods in certain ways because of the prevelance of fraud.

That is all a bit rambling...

THANK GOD FOR THE BOARD!!!!

About two years ago I reported a guy who kept building accounts with shill feedback to around 100 positive and then selling raw hulk 181 and ASM 129 with scans that looked in the 9.6/9.8 range a week after the auctions closed he would shut down the account and start again. eBay let it go on for a year....

I counted about 12-15 of these fake auctions. And if I could spot it ( the shills used for each account were all the same) why can't eBay. Answer is they can and they didn't give a spoon.

He's still doing it. He keeps like 10-15 shill accounts that he buys his own books with and leaves feedback minutes after the auctions close.

As eBay closes a few of his accounts down he makes a few more to weave into his nest of dishonesty.

I've not watched him in a while. One of his accounts was something like Clifford's Comics.

He likes to sell New Mutants 98's as well.

STILL!!! :o

One of his accounts was also called 'USPS mail fraud' or something like that..

Hope I am not hijacking this thread. Sorry if I am.

Even if eBay does not care about the sellers being defrauded because they can reimburse them with buyer protection don't they care about their insurance costs?

Also I find the buyer protection payout does not reflect the real cost of a fraudlent transaction. What about all the non economic loss of the buyers I.e distress. Or the harm it does to the comics market.

Maybe it will be like some segments of the civil war weapons market where many dealers refuse to buy and sell certain goods in certain ways because of the prevelance of fraud.

That is all a bit rambling...

THANK GOD FOR THE BOARD!!!!

Yes. USPS Mail Fraud guy and Clifford's Comics are one and the same.

He's not hard to track because all his shill accounts leave feedback for each other and they all have the same rhythm with the underscores and whatnot. All you have to do is find him once and keep an eye on his feedback. He'll out his own 20 different shills. Then wait on his selling account to be NARU'd and watch those shills to see which one he'll start selling with next.

He's probably in cahoots with those umbrella guys. They're all equally as much of a skidmark in the underwear of life.