• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Provenance vs. Pressing

38 posts in this topic

There's something to be said for driving prices higher with an original owner collection that's never been pressed.

And even more to be said about pressing that OO collection and the buyers thinking that they haven't been pressed. hm

lol

I always wondered why people apparently assume "OO collection" means some rube that has no clue he should press his 9.4 ASM #3 meh

I would agree. It is the same reason why people in the 'antique world' actually believe that a 'farm fresh' item can't be restored. They learn this 'lesson' rather quickly.

I have seen a lot of restored items (always undiclosed unfortunately) come from 'farm fresh' collections. I laugh at the term. Even the term 'fresh' should be used with caution.

'mint'

Absolutely. You can crack, press, and resub as many times as you like.

Even with the "FROM THE COLLECTION OF..." provenance on the label? If that's possible I'm all for it. The dealer I'm buying from wasn't sure CGC would still allow the collection notation if the slab had been opened by someone other than them.

Though my fellow Boardies are correct that if you don't press, someone else will I concur with your feelings of leaving the books as is. If these are keepers for your collection I would definitely leave them as is. It doesn't preclude you from pressing later. Food for thought. I had hundreds of raw,virgin books from a pedigree collection and did not press any of them. Heck, lots of them got 9.8's anyway. It is very satisfying knowing your 9.8 is untouched. The one key book I got pressed was somehow damaged in the process. It happens.

"The one key book I got pressed was somehow damaged in the process. It happens."

Could you expand on this (if you feel comfortable talking about it)? I just sent some books to be pressed (first time submitter). Were you contacted about this or was this due to a pressing you did yourself?

I am just curious as I do not think this would happen (in my case), but I was always curious as to whether or not anyone ever got contacted by a 'presser' that their books were damaged in the process.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Yes, damage can and does happen. Not often, but it happens.

If you are getting them graded for your own collection, and you are not comfortable with the idea of pressing, then why would you consider having them pressed?

I guess I'm just a purist. I've never had a book pressed, but I realize it's a reality I should get used to.

I'm worried that if I don't press them now and change my mind later I won't be able to without losing the collection provenance on the label. And if my kids sell them years from now they'd probably get more if the key books were pressed.

If you are getting them graded for your own collection, and you are not comfortable with the idea of pressing, then why would you consider having them pressed?

I guess I'm just a purist. I've never had a book pressed, but I realize it's a reality I should get used to.

I'm worried that if I don't press them now and change my mind later I won't be able to without losing the collection provenance on the label. And if my kids sell them years from now they'd probably get more if the key books were pressed.

Press them. No sense in going through the extra expense to have them slabbed, then crack them out at some point to press and reslab them.

Press them. No sense in going through the extra expense to have them slabbed, then crack them out at some point to press and reslab them.

Or as some people have told me, slabbing and selling, then whoever buys them, cracks and presses. That's just cheating yourself out of money.

Though my fellow Boardies are correct that if you don't press, someone else will I concur with your feelings of leaving the books as is. If these are keepers for your collection I would definitely leave them as is. It doesn't preclude you from pressing later. Food for thought. I had hundreds of raw,virgin books from a pedigree collection and did not press any of them. Heck, lots of them got 9.8's anyway. It is very satisfying knowing your 9.8 is untouched. The one key book I got pressed was somehow damaged in the process. It happens.

"The one key book I got pressed was somehow damaged in the process. It happens."

Could you expand on this (if you feel comfortable talking about it)? I just sent some books to be pressed (first time submitter). Were you contacted about this or was this due to a pressing you did yourself?

I am just curious as I do not think this would happen (in my case), but I was always curious as to whether or not anyone ever got contacted by a 'presser' that their books were damaged in the process.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Yes, damage can and does happen. Not often, but it happens.

During my N00Bish week breaking in my new press a cat hair got in there.

Left a dent on the back cover... lol

Fortunately it was a $1 box bronze age Thor nobody cares about test monkey book.

It did press out though when I did a second press to see if I could fix it... hm

I always check for hairs now! :cool:

Kind Regards,

'mint'

'Mint', without getting into specifics I can talk about it. I submitted the book to be pressed

by someone else. The damage was a protruding tear at the top staple. Interestingly enough, the book did get the expected two ticks grade bump. CGC viewed the new tear as bindery. In any event, I no longer looked at the book in the same way and moved it. This book was supposed to be a keeper for me. Lesson learned. In the future I will only perform CPR on a book that I intend to sell.

.....exactly what I was going to say. Furthermore, do some homework and learn which books will even benefit from a press.....Pressing is not some magic charm that automatically turns anything into a high grade book. It's cost effective on some books and not for others. I've had my best results turning 6.5's into 8.0's, 8.0's into 9.0's, etc.....I've never even thought about pressing a book that was already 9.4 or better. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.....exactly what I was going to say. Furthermore, do some homework and learn which books will even benefit from a press.....Pressing is not some magic charm that automatically turns anything into a high grade book. It's cost effective on some books and not for others. I've had my best results turning 6.5's into 8.0's, 8.0's into 9.0's, etc.....I've never even thought about pressing a book that was already 9.4 or better. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

This is a great statement and a good point. My cut-off is 9.6. I find no real reason to take a 9.6 and attempt to get a 9.8. Now if I collected late 'copper age' books and moderns, this may be a different story. I collect 1975 and older comic books. I have been 'dabbling' in some (very few) copper age keys, but they have to be in 9.8 or higher for me to consider them; and they have to be the key issues I can relate to: GI Joe #1, Transformers #1, the Valiant Nintendo books, etc.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

If they aren't for re-sale, why bother spending thousands slabbing them at all? If you are concerned about the provenance, I would just keep a detailed record of the purchase, maybe even an affidavit form the original owner, just in case you do decide to slab them for re-sale and want to be sure it gets the notation on the label.

If they aren't for re-sale, why bother spending thousands slabbing them at all? If you are concerned about the provenance, I would just keep a detailed record of the purchase, maybe even an affidavit form the original owner, just in case you do decide to slab them for re-sale and want to be sure it gets the notation on the label.

This. Why spend the dough on all that grading if you're just going to keep them?

I want the provenance on the label. Taking detailed notes and documentation won't cut it as far as CGC is concerned.

Like with the Cage collection, the books have to be graded all at once to get that label and verified/submitted by a trusted 3rd party. So I basically have one opportunity to make it "official," and feel that provenance will enhance the value of the collection as a whole and definitely on the high-grade keys.

I just bought a Silver Age collection that will have the original owner's provenance indicated on the CGC labels. (Like the Nicholas Cage books). We'll be sending in 700+ books to be graded, but a few of the key books might benefit from pressing before we ship 'em off.

Would love to hear some opinions on pressing books with provenance vs leaving them as is. I didn't think I was a purist, but a part of me hates to press any of these, even if bumps 'em in grade. Am I nuts?

(shrug)

I would go with maintaining the provenance.