• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Montreal Comiccon Report (photo heavy, and yes, girl-centric!)

172 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

So for the third year running I had the pleasure of attending the Montreal Comiccon and can confirm that it continues to grow and get bigger and better each year.

The event garnered much mainstream coverage around the city and early reports are projecting attendance to be in the 30,000-40,000 range over the course of three days (it expanded to three days from a Saturday/Sunday-only event this year, and also moved to Montreal's most modern and expansion convention center, the Palais des Congrès).

Last year's issue with horrendous lineups and fire marshall concerns about overcapacity seemed to have been largely addressed with the new facility. From an attendee standpoint, my sense is that there are more women/girls than ever before (as my pictures may attest), and that it truly is becoming a draw for people who don't even like funny books - the show is really starting to comprise all elements of pop (geek) culture (with a focus on local Quebec talents as well), and I overheard a lot of conversation and comments from people that suggests they were there simply to see what the buzz was all about.

From a dealer standpoint, there was a decent mix of modern and silver/bronze/copper, though gold was tough to come by. High grade material from the earlier eras was tricky to find, though it was there at certain dealer tables if you asked for it. What's nice about this show is that to an extent, there are a lot of private collectors from Quebec and Ontario who are on hand, so there is stuff to be found that you might not see regularly elsewhere, at least in the U.S.

I enjoyed formally meeting and chatting with my first fellow boardie, Voorhees, who was helping out a buddy at his booth. Unfortunately I once again missed the opportunity to meet board icon VintageComics, though Voorhees confirmed Roy had been in the house on Friday... Roy, if you're reading this, hopefully you enjoyed the show! (thumbs u

But enough rambling. All anyone cares about in these reports are the pics, so away we go...