• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Amazing Spider-Man 102

34 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! Hope all is well with you.

With all the printing defects and imperfections, I'm guessing this comic book will grade out to be a 8.0 or thereabouts? What do you guys think? hm

Thanks in advance.

ASM102Front_zps43f592ec.jpg

Printing scuff?

ASM102Front-1_zps0f7e9ea7.jpg

ASM102Back_zps953b3aec.jpg

Mark left by staple? Not sure.

ASM102Back-1_zps6603af34.jpg

Looks like a bit of overspray from printing process.

ASM102Back-3_zpsc201dc59.jpg

ASM102Back-2_zps4082252f.jpg

i think 8.5 max here more so because of the corner crease on the fc.

the indents (printing scuff) on square bound where the staples are don't get ding that hard if at all. Even when the "rubs" broke color, many times you can see this in 9.6 slabs. I have seen some in 9.8 slabs and I disagree. You can go to Heritage old database and look at Marvel feature #1 and see a ton of 9.4 and even 9.8 where the scuffs are worse.

I have had 2 books with similar mark on the back cover that looks like mark left by other staples that got 9.4 and 9.6 from CGC due to other flaws.

I really don't know what that mark is but when I first saw mine, I thought it was rust transferred from another book but in the end, at least for both of my book, CGC didn't ding them at all so I take it is production related of some sort.

i think 8.5 max here more so because of the corner crease on the fc.

the indents (printing scuff) on square bound where the staples are don't get ding that hard if at all. Even when the "rubs" broke color, many times you can see this in 9.6 slabs. I have seen some in 9.8 slabs and I disagree. You can go to Heritage old database and look at Marvel feature #1 and see a ton of 9.4 and even 9.8 where the scuffs are worse.

I have had 2 books with similar mark on the back cover that looks like mark left by other staples that got 9.4 and 9.6 from CGC due to other flaws.

I really don't know what that mark is but when I first saw mine, I thought it was rust transferred from another book but in the end, at least for both of my book, CGC didn't ding them at all so I take it is production related of some sort.

Thanks for your thoughtful analysis and grade on my book.

I missed the crease on the bottom right corner on the front cover! doh!

ASM102Front-2_zpsf6c8d52a.jpg

In any event, I was going to submit this to CGC. However, seeing all these imperfections, I won't now. Not worth it.

I think I'll slap it up on eBay and see if I can get anything for it.

Again, thank you for your well reasoned reply! (worship)

Still a cool book, and it seems harder to find flaws in your own books. I've got a WD 1 on here that people have said there's a crease on the front cover, but didn't say where....I'm still looking for the damn thing. :makepoint:

Still a cool book, and it seems harder to find flaws in your own books. I've got a WD 1 on here that people have said there's a crease on the front cover, but didn't say where....I'm still looking for the damn thing. :makepoint:

Yah, it's a "cool" book, but not good enough for me to submit to CGC! 1sm056pullhair.gifcrying-and-sobbing-1.gif

Hopefully, I can get $25 or so on eBay for this dirty pig.

I saw your WD 1, and I looked at the image at 400%. For the life of me, I couldn't find the crease in the front cover either! sleuth.jpg

I have this same book in a 7.5. Yours looks quite a bit better, so I'll say 8.5

I'm sure mine has way more imperfections than your's.

Thanks for the grade nevertheless! Appreciate it. (thumbs u

Yah, it's a "cool" book, but not good enough for me to submit to CGC! 1sm056pullhair.gifcrying-and-sobbing-1.gif

Hopefully, I can get $25 or so on eBay for this dirty pig.

I saw your WD 1, and I looked at the image at 400%. For the life of me, I couldn't find the crease in the front cover either! sleuth.jpg

So my suspicions are true that they said there was one just to drive me mad :ohnoez:

Miracle Man was one of the characters my friend inked regularly in the 70's, though this doesn't look like his work. Looks like Colletta's.

:)

Wow! You're a friend of MIKE ROYER?

That is very cool! (thumbs u

His work with Kirby was simply AWESOME!

Z-MisterMiracle2_zps769741d1.jpg

Z-MisterMiracle1_zps377521ff.jpg

That is beyond SUPER COOL! :applause:

Man, I knew it was him since both of you are in Oregon.

I read this great informative piece on him.

http://www.whatifkirby.com/artists/mike-royer

The stories he must have working with the "King!" WOW!

I always loved Mike's inking on Kirby's work - DC and Marvel. He really was Jack's best inker IMO.

Thanks so much for sharing this bit of your background as well as the photo.

Since this is your thread and you don't seem to mind...

His work with other artists is pretty awesome too :headbang:

Hell no, I don't mind! I think anytime you can showcase a talent like Mike Royer ... GO FOR IT! (thumbs u :headbang::applause:

Hopefully, others will jump in the thread and show their appreciation for the "look" you've graciously provided.

You're right! His inking on the other artists work is A+!

All I can say is WOW! (worship)