• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Amazing Spider-Man 102

34 posts in this topic

The stories he must have working with the "King!" WOW!

His "audition" for Kirby was pretty whirlwind. He got a call from JK asking if he'd like to do some inking for him. Mike went out to his home the next day I believe and inked 2 or 3 pages with The King looking over his shoulder.

Hey, no pressure right? lol lol lol lol

Obviously he impressed. His ability to ink AND letter 3 pages a day is almost as astonishing as Jack's ability to draw those pages 3 pages in a day :o

@Sulphur: That‘s just great. I thought Mike was older, how old is he?

Royer’s "surgical precision" inking on the New Gods added a sense of otherworldliness and of something latter-day bound to happen all of a sudden. Please if you see him tell him he transported me in some eschatological "no man's land" when I was 10. (thumbs u

Ah, and his lettering is awesome. Almost no one mentions that. (I am a type and lettering designer).

Of course, this has *nothing* to do with an ASM #102. lol

Royer’s "surgical precision" inking on the New Gods added a sense of otherworldliness and of something latter-day bound to happen all of a sudden. Please if you see him tell him he transported me in some eschatological "no man's land" when I was 10. (thumbs u

Ah, and his lettering is awesome. Almost no one mentions that. (I am a type and lettering designer).

I certainly encourage people to come to this PGM ASM 102 thread and pay homage to Mike Royer. Mike is a legend in his own right IMO.

However, if you do drop by this thread, can you at least have the courtesy to grade my ASM 102? :makepoint:

However, if you do drop by this thread, can you at least have the courtesy to grade my ASM 102? :makepoint:

lol I’m sorry Modok but the only reason I did not grade it is that… I’d like to have it (I have a low grade copy). ;)

But since I have just made an expensive purchase, I will say I am more or less with Sulphur (which is as always "spot on"), so 8.0 or 8.5 and wait… :sorry:

P.S. I wasn’t complaining about talking of Royer here, I was just thinking that no one would notice our interesting discussion, since it’s "buried" within a PGM thread. ;)

I certainly encourage people to come to this PGM ASM 102 thread and pay homage to Mike Royer. Mike is a legend in his own right IMO.

Thanks for being such a gracious host MODOK :applause:

I will definitely pass on the kind words, vaillant. Mike left for the Cincinnati show yesterday but I'll tell him when he returns. And he's a very young 73 years old.

Daily walks. That's the ticket.

I'm happy to say he is swamped with work right now (and I'm thrilled to have played a part in that :cloud9: ). This time last year was somewhat lean, with Mike getting work only every 4 or 5 months. That was difficult for me to see. Since volunteering to handle the sales thread of his work, he's sold 3 from it. And the attention from those sales has lead to his getting an invitation to the Detroit show and now the Cinci show. And the Detroit show has lead to a few commissions (two of them are GIANT). I'd love to show them as a WIP, but since they are now the property of someone else it would be inappropriate. But It was a Kirby splash reproduction of Cap diving into a sea of Nazi's and whoopin' azz as always, and a Thor reproduction.

As relieved as I am that Mike is keeping busy, I'm patiently waiting for him to get a window of opportunity to do some work for me. I'd like to have him reproduce some pin ups I own so I can display the two pieces side by side on the wall. :headbang:

Did somebody say "New Gods?" This "proof" page isn't as cool as the OA, but it's still cool. And the Kirby sig is supposed to be authentic (came with a COA FWIW). Mike says it looks like Jack's, but that doesn't clinch it. Mike's sig is of course the real deal.

NewGodssigned001_zpseb6f93d7.jpg

OK. Back to the PGM 102 lol

Hi Sulphur, thanks for telling us the stories, that’s great. (thumbs u

I find it both irritating and disturbing that stellar artists which have still the desire or the need to work, should wrestle with the arbitrary requests of a market which does not reward actual value, but rather oscillates on "trends". What you are doing for Mike is GREAT.

I was thinking that, instead of writing here, we could maybe start a thread on personal relationships each one may have had with a comic artist or writer. I mean not simply meeting them at a convention or having a signature, but situations where, albeit for a little, we have had the privilege of getting to know the person to which we are indebted for his work.

Personally I have met and interviewed Jack Kirby in 1991, and I should move my azz since John Morrow is interested in re-transcribing and re-presenting my interview on the Jack Kirby Collector.

Jack’s signature is authentic, it just looks a little trembling, so it may be from his late years, when he was ill. I am convinced the signatures he made for me when I was at his home were done by Roz, since she asked to sign them in a separate room. Of course, they hold the same value, maybe more, for what COAs may be worth… lol

What do you mean by "reproduce some pin ups"?

A process Mike helped start in the industry is the use of a light box. Instead of inking directly over the pencils- losing them forever- or inking over a carbon copy, Mike reproduces the pencils from the original- "cleaning up the roughness" Jack left on the paper.

Some don't care for the process feeling the inking isn't of the original pencils, but of a hand drawn copy of the pencils. They prefer machined copies being inked. :shrug:

saying Kirby's hands never touched the reproductions so they're not really from his pencils.

His hands never touched the carbon copies either, so what the difference? Mike's light boxed inks of published Kirby art are all hand made.

I believe Neil Adams light boxes his own work, making variations of past art (there was a thread about that on these boards once). Nobody seems to mind that very much.

I just bought a penciled pin up of a Joe Sinnott "Thing". He and Mike are friends and both are my favorite favorite Kirby inkers (Sinnott is Mike's favorite inker). I've asked Mike to reproduce the art so I can display the "before and after" right next to each other on the wall.

Sulphur, that is just great, because I have been wrestling with the desire to contact Joe Sinnott since before summer, as I had an idea in mind.

What you say is particularly interesting, since my idea would be to follow Kirby’s style and set up a particular scene. Do you think either Joe or Mike would be willing to ink a Kirby-inspired drawing? (More or less like Joe did often with Ron Frenz).

That would be great! :)

I was just dubious because of Joe’s age, I did not know how much he still draws/inks and how much strain this could imply for him. I see his son manages the official website.

I’ll send you a PM… :)

Mike does this all the time. He just completed a commission where he took different Fourth World character images, making them into one drawing. It was incredible! He took it with him to Cincinnati.

He has a few more projects lined up, but I'm sure he'd be willing to take on another as long as there are no immediate time restraints.

I'd be happy to help in any way ;)

This is *awesome* Sulphur!

I love how Joe managed to stay away both from Kirby clichées (a thing rarely seen) and his own, more morbid style, producing an astonishing and innovative interpretation. He must have a firm hand, God bless him, if I think poor Ed Hannigan, so considerably younger than him, suffers from multiple sclerosis I am really sad for him… :(

I will definitely contact you in case I will be able to manage something. It’s been over 15 years since last time I have drawn something complex, but I have an idea I care a lot about, concerning Joe. If I find a similar inspiration, I’d love to propose Mike a similar thing.

I will PM you again to give you my details, just in case and…a wholehearted "thank you" to MODOK for his gracious "hidden" hosting here… ;)