• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Superboy 127 - writing on cover and interior

10 posts in this topic

Not really something I'm considering getting graded, I was just wondering how much a little writing on the cover and interior affects the grade of an otherwise NM book from the 60's. None of the writing affects the story, however there is rather a lot of it. I ask because I have a lot of comics exactly like this from The Jimmy Richardson Collection.

• Check mark on Comics Code box (cover)
  • Stylized box drawn around title (cover)
  • "JDR" initials on back cover (back cover)
  • "JDR" initials on the bottom of every other page (interior)
  • Blocks of text scratched out from Direct Currents (interior)

Superboy%2520127.jpg

Superboy%2520127b.jpg

He wrote his initials on the bottom of every other page like this:

2012-09-08%252014.27.18.jpg

And this page got a little extra attention with the pen:

2012-09-08%252014.28.32.jpg

Reminds me of when I first began to collect comics. My twin and myself would pen out all the direct currents stuff, and a lot of ask the answer man stuff, that didnt appertain to the 7 books we collected.

Fun times.

As for grade, I would imagine the scrawled writing can affect an otherwise NM book by quite a lot as a lot of defacing has taken place.

No better than FN in my opinion although you may get a better grade with a GLOD (green label of death).

Jimmy Richardson Collection?

Thanks for the laugh!

Who do I speak with to have this collection officially registered? I have about 50 would-be-super-high-grade comics from the 60's (mostly DC) from this guy whose name I know because at one point in his collecting he put his name stamp on the cover of every issue.

If I get the name "Jimmy Richardson" to be famous in the comic collecting world those stamps will only up their value, right? hm

He scribbled out the entries for Sea Devils, House of Mystery and All-American Men of War (I can't quite make out the issue numbers from these pics and I'm too lazy to go get the book). I wonder if he used this as sort of a checklist and somewhere there exists copies of these issues from the Jimmy Richardson collection... hm

:o I shall not rest until I find them!