• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Graphic Novel Mania! posted by bagofleas

15 posts in this topic

A whole bunch of em!

I always keep an eye out for Marvel Graphic Novels to show up somewhere in 9.8 WP so I can try to get them for my set but they rarely show their pretty little heads.

Then suddenly a whole bunch of them showed up on Ebay a few days ago. I HAD to try for them and in the end I got all but four that I bid on!!

These are extremely rare to find graded. There are mostly only one or two of each of them even available in 9.8. Here was a chance to get a huge lot of them all at once. And all of them were in 9.8 WP condition! Even with being outbid on four of them I managed to acquire 14! AWESOME!

I have entered them into my set but none of them have even been posted to the census yet so they will be added as soon as they are verified.

Here are the copies I got:

#6 Star Slammers

#11 Void Indigo

#13 Starstruck

#14 Swords of the Swashbucklers

#16 The Aladdin Effect

#24 Daredevil

#25 The Alien Legion

#26 Dracula

#28 Conan the Reaver (see below)

#33 The Mighty Thor

#36 Willow

#nn Cloak and Dagger and Power Pack

#nn Conan the Barbarian

#nn The Black Widow

It is always nice to be able to fill multiple spots in a set you are putting together. Especially when many of the individual issues are so rare to see graded at all let alone in the top grades.

Man I love this hobby!!!!!!

12151.jpg

See more journals by bagofleas

Yeah, there were three copies that sold on ebay one after the other about a year ago and they went for anywhere from $175 to $200. I took a stab at this one but for some reason the bidding just went up beyond what I was shooting for.

I was hoping for around $185 but it went for $250! YIKES! :o

I have all of the Marvel graphic novels, bought new as they came out.

I loved these when I was younger and read them over and over.

I always took great care with my comics but had a bit less regard for Graphic Novels.

I doubt that any of mine would be 9.8, I didnt even realize that CGC graded these.

Great score on the 14 :o

What do you still need for your collection?

Well with this new influx of copies, I still need 22 more to have all 38 numbered issues. I need to upgrade my copy of #17 from a 9.6 to a 9.8 as well.

I have a second copy of #14 in 9.6 WP.

The issues I still need are: 1 2 3 5 7 9 10 15 18 19 20 21 23 27 29 30 31 32 34 35 37 and 38

Not to mention all the extra printings and price variants in the first few issues.

So I still have a long way to go considering how rarely any of the non-key issues show up in the high grades.

Yeah, that was a cool auction. I went for #4 for my Copper 1sts set. Didn't want to pay over $185 or so either. Was at $100 with one minute left. Ended up going for $256! Wow! And #4 isn't that rare considering the others. Patience, patience...Anyone out there want to sell a #4 9.8? Just fishing :)

Well, of course the reason #4 is less rare is specifically because it is THE KEY of the series featuring a 1st appearance & origin of a group of characters.

I speak of the New Mutants, of course.

So while there may be 15 9.8 copies out there, that's still relatively low for such a significant first appearance. Copies of #4 in 9.8 have always sold between $200 and $260 in the past and people are generally holding onto them.

I know I'm not ever selling mine!

:grin:

I was trying for that New Mutants First appearance. I was at work and hoping the access would work on my phone and with three seconds left I had the highest bid, but that was three seconds too much. Someone else place a bid higher than I.

Bagofleas...hear you on the GN #4...good analysis. I saw one on Comiclink a few months back, but didn't bid. This eBay one was the next. So maybe one will show up in a few months...but now that I know TNerb wants one, I'm afraid :)

Tnerb...I thought you would have had one, but I looked up your set and saw you have a 9.4. I think I'll cool off bidding on the 9.8's until I read one of your journals that you FINALLY got one! Then maybe I can get a deal on the next one...we can only hope.

There were only 11 9.8 copies of #4 for over three years until just recently. Now there are 15 so maybe there's a slightly better chance at a copy or two showing up over the next year as made evident by this one showing up.

However, as I said before, people seem far less willing to part with their 9.8 copies of this big Copper Age Key. That's why they consistently sell for over $200.

:pullhair:

OK. Most of my issues have been verified and added to my Marvel Graphic Novel set, but for some reason, there are still a few yet to be done.

I've got the pics up on the ones that have gone through so far, so go check 'em out!

The others should go through any day now.