• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about teared corners.

10 posts in this topic

Hi there, for a long time I was wondering about tiny, little tears on spine corners.

I would like to get graded some modrn comics books (SAGA, Thief of Thieves, Batman,...), most of them are in really nice condition, but lot of them have got these small tears. I tried to take some detailed pictures, but it was really hard to focus my camera on those corners, so photos ale bit blurry, but when you see that photo, you guys will know what Im talking about.

I tried searching forum and littlebit google, but could find answer how these little tears will decrease my final grade (Im aiming for 9.8).

Thank you very much and hope you understand.

Thief of Thieves #1 with smaller tear:

1112nn5.jpg

Thief of Thieves #2 with bigger tear:

2zdu6q1.jpg

Photos are really rubbish, I'll try to make some better pictures...

These are normally bindery defects, I believe caused by dulling blades and/or fiber build up interfering with the cleanness of the cut. If those are the ONLY defects on the books you should be able to get 9.8- But if there are a couple additional defects, you might end up with a 9.6 IMUO.

But I could be wrong :shrug:

In the thread where a boardie is trying to get a 9.9 from a case of old spawn books he posts a picture of a 9.9 that he already has and it has a tiny tear and some wear on the edge. I didn't think you could get a 9.9 with either but I guess anything is possible. Its a shame I've avoided books with these little tears because I thought they would really bring down the grade :facepalm:

speaking of learning, and my appologies to the OP, i'll only hijack your thread for one question; how exactly can you tell whats a subscription crease vs. just a regular old crease?