• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Two Strange eBay return cases...how to prevent this in the future???

414 posts in this topic

I used to use those boxes from Uline... they would step on them, claiming damages. The USPS denied that claim for that Iron Man 9.2 I sold some time ago, and the clerk wrote that affidavit that she remembered handing that Customer the box, and WAS NOT DAMAGED when she handed it over to him. All of this case has been re-hashed years ago, and I was flamed royally bacause of that case, but no more boxes because of that.

The Flat Bins for 1st class are actually SAFER than the boxes thrown in the truck bins at USPS anyway.

CAL hoping for that silver bullett to stop the nonsense...

The USPS won't note damage unless the package is actually ripped open, or has an enormous hole in it. If you shipped an IM 9.2 in a u-line box, you are :screwy:

What I was hoping for is for someone who has bought from me before to chime in here and describe my shipping methods.

But so far, none have come forward...

CAL can still hope...

So what you really wanted was for someone to just up and agree with you that you were in the right, rather than seek actual opinions about what could have happened and how you could do things better.

gotcha :thumbsup:

Arex,

All you are doing is re-demonstrating your dislike for CAL. I really don't think the CGCers really care about your dislike for CAL. Most of the reasonable ones are going to try to help me with this.

What I WANTED is for those who have seen my ship stuff first hand to type here: hey, you ship terrible. or maybe it was okay, or bomb-proof. If I wanted people to agree with me do you really think i would come here just for that?

CAL who gave Arex a little too much respect but Arex put CAL back to his place( reality)

There's no such thing as bomb proof 100% of the time to me.

I've probably sold to like 50 people on here. 49 of them would tell you that my packing is bomb proof and as good as any they have ever received. That one though, I did screw up and the books arrived damaged. It happens. Not every problem is someone trying to screw you over or "buyers remorse" (thumbs u

Well, I did come away tonight with a few good ideas because of you guys. Even going to get a Handle with care stickers and paste on both sides of Mylars. I will come up with something to keep this from happening again.

CAL still has hope..

So even more sticky tape on the mylars to cause tape pulls from faulty packing?!? doh!

:baiting:

Cal, I'm getting that you've had experiences with remorseful buyers using any excuse they can to get a full refund. I can't comment from any personal experience with your packaging. A useful test may be to send a package to yourself through the US Postal System and re-open that package considering the perspective of a buyer prepared to be happy. The test may confirm your confidence in your packaging, but you may find an a-ha moment in the unpacking, to reveal something that could be done better.

I'm not saying the buyers are right or wrong, but it's worth looking at, in any case.

What the heck...I will do this, and take photos, too.

Thanx (thumbs u

CAL the good outweighed the pinhead this time...

And this is what drives so many people here crazy about you, a backhanded comment and downing of people.

Im glad you did get some good ideas

I used to use those boxes from Uline... they would step on them, claiming damages. The USPS denied that claim for that Iron Man 9.2 I sold some time ago, and the clerk wrote that affidavit that she remembered handing that Customer the box, and WAS NOT DAMAGED when she handed it over to him. All of this case has been re-hashed years ago, and I was flamed royally bacause of that case, but no more boxes because of that.

The Flat Bins for 1st class are actually SAFER than the boxes thrown in the truck bins at USPS anyway.

The USPS won't note damage unless the package is actually ripped open, or has an enormous hole in it. If you shipped an IM 9.2 in a u-line box, you are :screwy:

What I was hoping for is for someone who has bought from me before to chime in here and describe my shipping methods.

CAL can still hope...

So what you really wanted was for someone to just up and agree with you that you were in the right, rather than seek actual opinions about what could have happened and how you could do things better.

Arex,

All you are doing is re-demonstrating your dislike for CAL. I really don't think the CGCers really care about your dislike for CAL. Most of the reasonable ones are going to try to help me with this.

What I WANTED is for those who have seen my ship stuff first hand to type here: hey, you ship terrible. or maybe it was okay, or bomb-proof. If I wanted people to agree with me do you really think i would come here just for that?

CAL who gave Arex a little too much respect but Arex put CAL back to his place( reality)

I've probably sold to like 50 people on here. 49 of them would tell you that my packing is bomb proof and as good as any they have ever received. That one though, I did screw up and the books arrived damaged. It happens. Not every problem is someone trying to screw you over or "buyers remorse" (thumbs u

:thumbsup:

Arex,

unfortunately, my faith in people is not as strong as yours.

I would NEVER dissuade you or anyone else off of your good faith in people, but for me, my path is very different. For me, this is the only way I can succeed. Having faith in people has not turned out too well for me. Trust me.

CAL who knows people for what they are, and what they can be, and what they don't want to be...

Cal, I'm getting that you've had experiences with remorseful buyers using any excuse they can to get a full refund. I can't comment from any personal experience with your packaging. A useful test may be to send a package to yourself through the US Postal System and re-open that package considering the perspective of a buyer prepared to be happy. The test may confirm your confidence in your packaging, but you may find an a-ha moment in the unpacking, to reveal something that could be done better.

I'm not saying the buyers are right or wrong, but it's worth looking at, in any case.

Thanx (thumbs u

And this is what drives so many people here crazy about you, a backhanded comment and downing of people.

Well, joecgcmaniac or whoever deserves what he gets.

CAL still the same, and does not apologize for defending myself...ever...

Thanx (thumbs u

Arex you sure look like you are allowing joecgcmaniac to be allowed to be part of a problem and not the solution...

CAL just sayin'...

Thanx (thumbs u

Cal, has every return that one of your buyer's brought up to you been a scam? or do you sometimes make mistakes? hm

CAL can still hope...

Arex,

:thumbsup:

Arex,

unfortunately, my faith in people is not as strong as yours.

I would NEVER dissuade you or anyone else off of your good faith in people, but for me, my path is very different. For me, this is the only way I can succeed. Having faith in people has not turned out too well for me. Trust me.

CAL who knows people for what they are, and what they can be, and what they don't want to be...

Self fulfilling prophecy. We see in people, often times, what we want or what we expect to see.

But I can understand that life experiences can color ones worldview

:facepalm::I will never tape any book directly to a board, it ruins my nails getting the tape off, so I don't want to ruin someone else's...BESIDES ruining the bags and sometimes the comics;) Hotflips magazine bags are perfect to put over your mylars/mylites, etc.

BTW, manilla envelopes are an accident waiting to happen. Have you tried Foam Core boards? If you HAVE to use some kind of envelope, they are very sturdy...much better than cardboard....more expenisve, but well worth it.. if you need to use a flat rate envelope on inexpensive books...put your books in a magazine bag and tape that to the foam core board, then tape the 2nd board on the other side..I sent someone a book that way and they told me it would survive a truck running over it;)

but seriously...with the stuff you sell...I'd put the whole envelope thingy, in bubble wrap and put that all in a box...

:facepalm::I will never tape any book directly to a board, it ruins my nails getting the tape off, so I don't want to ruin someone else's...BESIDES ruining the bags and sometimes the comics;) Hotflips magazine bags are perfect to put over your mylars/mylites, etc.

BTW, manilla envelopes are an accident waiting to happen. Have you tried Foam Core boards? If you HAVE to use some kind of envelope, they are very sturdy...much better than cardboard....more expenisve, but well worth it.. if you need to use a flat rate envelope on inexpensive books...put your books in a magazine bag and tape that to the foam core board...I sent someone a book that way and they told me it would survive a truck running over it;)

but seriously...with the stuff you sell...I'd put the whole envelope thingy, in bubble wrap and put that all in a box...

Hello Sky

You might be that someone I sold a thing or two too...

Anyway, where can I get a look at this Foam Core???

That might be another idea...

Curious CAL ...

Thanx (thumbs u

Cal, has every return that one of your buyer's brought up to you been a scam? or do you sometimes make mistakes? hm

I'll put it this way:

The scamsters far outweigh any mistakes I have made regarding shipping.

CAL who wants to improve anyway...

BTW, manilla envelopes are an accident waiting to happen. Have you tried Foam Core boards? If you HAVE to use some kind of envelope, they are very sturdy...much better than cardboard....more expenisve, but well worth it.. if you need to use a flat rate envelope on inexpensive books...put your books in a magazine bag and tape that to the foam core board...I sent someone a book that way and they told me it would survive a truck running over it;)

Hello Sky

Curious CAL ...

No, but you bought from me, years ago...you can get foam core at an art supply house, or online from a shipping place. I buy it on eBay, too...I get mine cut, but you can use an exacto knife...get the 1/4 inch thick stuff or thicker, it's light and very sturdy. I first saw it in a package I got from someone on here...great idea for packing.

Cal I have a idea

Mail 3 parcels to a friend on other side of country have them post them right back unopened and take a look at what you got with the postofice handling your package 2 times

The ones that are beat up open and inspect the ones that look great send them off for another round

You should be able to get a understanding of what the post office dose to packages ?

Here's a catch: I INSURE everything. Just to keep the fraudsters thinking about merely wasting their time, and still coming away with nothing.

CAL kinda complicated

Hey CAL,

Here's a suggestion. Offer a no-questions-asked 14 day refund policy on the book plus original shipping cost. Ship Priority, not economy. Ship within 3 days. Only insure high value books. Make sure books are always sandwiched tightly between thick oversized cardboard to reduce/eliminate that possibility of the book sliding around and getting damaged (you may be doing this already).

You customers will be happy to receive their books quickly, and will know that if they aren't pleased with the book they can return it for "any" reason. You'll save money in the long run because of savings on insurance costs and avoiding the occasional bad customer who damages a book in order to have a reason to return it.

If the customer returns the book under your no-questions-asked return policy, he's incentivized to return it quickly and damage-free. Your only cost is shipping and time, rather than dealing with email wars, constant frustration, opened cases, and customer-created damaged books.

Just my 2c.

Hello Sky

Curious CAL ...

No, but you bought from me, years ago...you can get foam core at an art supply house, or online from a shipping place. I buy it on eBay, too...I get my cut, but you can use an exacto knife...get the 1/4 inch thick stuff or thicker, it's light and very sturdy. I first saw it in a package I got from someone on here...great idea for packing.

probably doesnt crumple on the edges like cardboard would hm

Cal I have a idea

Mail 3 parcels to a friend on other side of country have them post them right back unopened and take a look at what you got with the postofice handling your package 2 times

The ones that are beat up open and inspect the ones that look great send them off for another round

You should be able to get a understanding of what the post office dose to packages ?

Here's a catch: I INSURE everything. Just to keep the fraudsters thinking about merely wasting their time, and still coming away with nothing.

CAL kinda complicated

Hey CAL,

Here's a suggestion. Offer a no-questions-asked 14 day refund policy on the book plus original shipping cost. Ship Priority, not economy. Ship within 3 days. Only insure high value books. Make sure books are always sandwiched tightly between thick oversized cardboard to reduce/eliminate that possibility of the book sliding around and getting damaged (you may be doing this already).

You customers will be happy to receive their books quickly, and will know that if they aren't pleased with the book they can return it for "any" reason. You'll save money in the long run because of savings on insurance costs and avoiding the occasional bad customer who damages a book in order to have a reason to return it.

If the customer returns the book under your no-questions-asked return policy, he's incentivized to return it quickly and damage-free. Your only cost is shipping and time, rather than dealing with email wars, constant frustration, opened cases, and customer-created damaged books.

Just my 2c.

Very good policy

I really didn't want to ask, but since I just invested the time to read 7 pages of CAL and how everybody is out to screw him....

Why do you refer to yourself in the 3rd person CAL?

Not trying to attack...just a little annoyed at the whole thread in general. :screwy:

It is something I started years ago, and at the time, people laughed and got it as just harmless "schtick", nothing more, nothing less.

But time marches forward. This Forum was a "final battleground" as it was as such, between a certain segment of CGC Forum users and CAL. Started on another Board now defunct, and yes, I predicted that Board's demise then, but am not looking for credit.

When you have anonymous people sitting behind a keyboard, they are liable to type anything. Me included. When anyone's so-called enemies need to grasp at any straw they can get thei hands on, they will and do. So the 3rd person "schtick" became something that my enemies kept hounding me on, and soon, the majority of the group decided to join their side.

I can't quote the person who qouted the following, but I remember the quote:

" If you hear something enough long enough, even a lie becomes the truth". That is the analogy I will close this out with.

CAL who hopes he made a little sense out of all of this...

yeah, i would be interested in getting some of that as well

:hi:

It's about $3.00 a sheet (wholesale) and you can get 6 shipping pieces from one sheet. Your best bet is if you can find a business that uses it for something else and you buy their left over pieces. Michaels carries it and they have sales all the time.

I was buying cut pieces by the hundred last year, but my source seems to have retired...I still have enough for a year or so.