• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How did this happen?

32 posts in this topic

For reasons I don't understand, CGC treats GA books differently from SA or later books. Its their bat, their ball. They make their own rules.

I agree with Overstreet that age should not factor into condition. IF CT is restoration on a SA book, it should be restoration on any book.

My thinking is that the owner of a high dollar GA book wouldn't slab it if it were to get a PLOD so CGC would rather get the bucks from slabbibg it than worry about being consistent.

I feel like they should treat certain ages of books differently. What about date stamps? Or even subscription creases? I feel like a silver age book with a subscription crease is understandable and I'd be interested in it. Now if a modern age book had a similar crease no way in hell.

I don't feel like it is questionable if they have a different grading system for different time periods. One thing I wouldn't mind is a web page done by CGC clearly showing their grading standards to answer these questions.

For reasons I don't understand, CGC treats GA books differently from SA or later books. Its their bat, their ball. They make their own rules.

I agree with Overstreet that age should not factor into condition. IF CT is restoration on a SA book, it should be restoration on any book.

My thinking is that the owner of a high dollar GA book wouldn't slab it if it were to get a PLOD so CGC would rather get the bucks from slabbibg it than worry about being consistent.

I feel like they should treat certain ages of books differently. What about date stamps? Or even subscription creases? I feel like a silver age book with a subscription crease is understandable and I'd be interested in it. Now if a modern age book had a similar crease no way in hell.

I don't feel like it is questionable if they have a different grading system for different time periods. One thing I wouldn't mind is a web page done by CGC clearly showing their grading standards to answer these questions.

Until CGC came along, the guidelines published in Overstreet were the industry standard. In fact, for a great many collectors and dealers- they still are. Overstreet has always maintained age is not a factor in grading a book.

Until CGC came along, the guidelines published in Overstreet were the industry standard. In fact, for a great many collectors and dealers- they still are. Overstreet has always maintained age is not a factor in grading a book.

I do understand that. And part of me likes the way Overstreet's guidelines go. But, CGC is the 3rd party grader of choice these days. I think CGC needs to publish their list of grading standards.

How did this happen?

I'll tell you how it happened. Someone who has been a board member since 2007 and knows exactly why that book is sitting in a blue label thought he would stir some mess by starting a thread and pretending to be innocent while hoping to incite a brouhaha.

That's how it happened.

Yep.

It's allowed in a GA book if it's only a dot or two.

From what I understand, they had to make this allowance to keep so many Church books from getting purple labels.

I wondered how that happened if Edgar Church`s comics went right to Chuck of Mile High?

What happened did a bunch of dealers do some restoring after Chuck? hm

Color Touch and just about any form of restoration was popular and very accepted pre-CGC. It wasn't unusual to see a dealer buy a book at a show, use a sharpie to fill in a crease and put the book up for sale.

(thumbs u

I have seen some dealers do this but it was a long time ago. PreCGC One in particular had a whole bunch of fine tipped pens handy to fill in a line or small dot of color.

How did this happen?

I'll tell you how it happened. Someone who has been a board member since 2007 and knows exactly why that book is sitting in a blue label thought he would stir some mess by starting a thread and pretending to be innocent while hoping to incite a brouhaha.

That's how it happened.

Yep.

Read my post above, I never knew that golden age could have color touch :makepoint:

As always - one should buy the book not the label. If a tiny amount of color touch, glue or tape for that matter bother you, don't buy it, no matter what color the label.

While I have no problem with the PLOD being a quick identifier of restoration, not all resto is equal, even if listed as "slight". Should books with minor CT and glue get lumped into the same category as heavily restored books due to a label color, when others with tape and writing on the cover are associated with books without these flaws?

There are plenty of blue label books with tape at the staple on the inside that could only have gotten there if the staple were removed first and then pushed through the tape. They get a higher grade than the book would with a detached cover, even if the tape is taken into consideration while grading. I don't see how this is less restoration than a spot of glue on the staple, or why a big grease pencil scribble is less of a detraction than a small bit of marker.

Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe that CT should be disclosed, and I can understand with the price multiples that higher grades achieve, that it can have a major impact on value, but in the low to mid grades, there are many factors that can make a book unacceptable to a given buyer, even if they are generally willing to buy books in the given grade, color touch is just one of them.

Overstreet has always maintained age is not a factor in grading a book.

Actually, Overstreet has allowed some defects to increase in size as the book got older.

GA books were allowed larger defects than SA books, etc.