• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prevent Obscuring of high ranking sets

97 posts in this topic

The Registry provides us collectors a way of showing off our collection. It is a modern day verison of "Show and Tell".

I have to wonder about the collectors who add their books to the registry but then obscure the set so nobody can look. Could you image the World's Series games that we were only allowed to see the score but not any of the games? What's the point?

If I was the one making the decision at CGC I would have disable the feature of "obscuring" a set a long time ago.

And the suggestion to pay a fee to look, we have enough greed in this country already, we certainly don't need more.

As I mentioned previously, the Registry is great and I enjoy looking at people's collections. But there are times that I know it has been used to run up prices on people looking to fill holes in their sets. Having the flexibility to obscure a set before a big auction with significant targets is a big deal to me. If I lost that opportunity, I'd delist my sets and track them elsewhere.

As I mentioned previously, the Registry is great and I enjoy looking at people's collections. But there are times that I know it has been used to run up prices on people looking to fill holes in their sets. Having the flexibility to obscure a set before a big auction with significant targets is a big deal to me. If I lost that opportunity, I'd delist my sets and track them elsewhere.

Couldn't agree more :applause:

The Registry provides us collectors a way of showing off our collection. It is a modern day verison of "Show and Tell".

I have to wonder about the collectors who add their books to the registry but then obscure the set so nobody can look. Could you image the World's Series games that we were only allowed to see the score but not any of the games? What's the point?

If I was the one making the decision at CGC I would have disable the feature of "obscuring" a set a long time ago.

And the suggestion to pay a fee to look, we have enough greed in this country already, we certainly don't need more.

I don't see anyone selling admission tickets to the Registry like they do to the World Series.

Greed? You want to talk greed? Let's put books in plastic cases with numbers so we can get five times the price for the same book over a raw copy.

Or

Hey, let's devise a "checklist" type system where people can input books, receive points, and complete sets. This way, even the books that aren't worth anything will still have a reason and motivation for grading. What a stroke of marketing genius.

Greed indeed.

lol

I don't see anyone selling admission tickets to the Registry like they do to the World Series.

Greed? You want to talk greed? Let's put books in plastic cases with numbers so we can get five times the price for same book over a raw copy.

Or

Hey, let's devise a "checklist" type system where people can input books, receive points, and complete sets. This way, even the books that aren't worth anything will still have a reason and motivation for grading. What a stroke of marketing genius.

Greed indeed.

lol

At some point you can cultivate enough cynicism about any 'for profit' business that you can justify (at least internally) calling them a bunch of greedy bastards. All you have to do is redefine their customers as ignorant sheep incapable of making their own choices and being totally under the control of those greedy bastards at xyz company.

So CGC goes from a service providing a reasonably consistent grading and restoration detection system in an industry where inconsistent grading and frequent use of magic markers have been a recognized problem to a bunch of greedy bastards because they place a grade on a book that the sheep of the world can't avoid spending their precious resources on. Instead of providing a registry for collectors to list their books, share their collections, and compete for the best collection, they have engineered a incidious marketing plow designed to force those sheep into buying comic books that they should never have wasted their money in. And instead of building a successful business that provides jobs to employees and allows them to use their skills to work in a discipline they enjoy, they are a bunch of greedy bastards hellbent on devising clever schemes to sell unwanted services and products to those blind sheep in the collecting community.

I have no illusions that there are no unscrupulous people in comics or any other industry whose goal is to enrich themselves at someone elses expense. But the fad of denigrating anyone who has a business idea that involves selling anything other than raw comics at break-even prices is just dumb, and probably a bit insulting to anyone who is actually involved in comic book collecting because the enjoy collecting comics.

No one forces anyone to list thier books ?

Nothing wrong with Obscuring what is wrong is people complaining they cant see other peoples private property

there is a simple solution for CGC that will help them make money -- alow only paid members to obscure ?

As a mater of fact the paid members should get more for thier money

Hidding is a good thing !

Compeating in sets is a good thing!

Greed and envy not so good !

:)

Greed? You want to talk greed? Let's put books in plastic cases with numbers so we can get five times the price for same book over a raw copy.

Or

Greed indeed.

lol

At some point you can cultivate enough cynicism about any 'for profit' business that you can justify (at least internally) calling them a bunch of greedy bastards. All you have to do is redefine their customers as ignorant sheep incapable of making their own choices and being totally under the control of those greedy bastards at xyz company.

So CGC goes from a service providing a reasonably consistent grading and restoration detection system in an industry where inconsistent grading and frequent use of magic markers have been a recognized problem to a bunch of greedy bastards because they place a grade on a book that the sheep of the world can't avoid spending their precious resources on. Instead of providing a registry for collectors to list their books, share their collections, and compete for the best collection, they have engineered a incidious marketing plow designed to force those sheep into buying comic books that they should never have wasted their money in. And instead of building a successful business that provides jobs to employees and allows them to use their skills to work in a discipline they enjoy, they are a bunch of greedy bastards hellbent on devising clever schemes to sell unwanted services and products to those blind sheep in the collecting community.

I have no illusions that there are no unscrupulous people in comics or any other industry whose goal is to enrich themselves at someone elses expense. But the fad of denigrating anyone who has a business idea that involves selling anything other than raw comics at break-even prices is just dumb, and probably a bit insulting to anyone who is actually involved in comic book collecting because the enjoy collecting comics.

Comics Greed Comics (shrug)

How dare you take away the scapegoat for my excesses by dismissing the suggestion that someone other than myself is responsible for my collecting.

I would support limited obscuring powers for Jeff's conceptually reasonable, yet hard to prove, theory. The books you are going after are hard in high grade and can reasonably be expected to go for, higher amounts.

I still think its nuts that people in the top top rankings can obscure ALL of their sets. Even complete ones. If the registry is a tracking device then why see anyone else's sets at all? If its "competitive" then why obscure the sets?

Any successful business gets accused of being greedy. "Obscene profits" WTF?

If its "competitive" then why obscure the sets?

If Poker is competitive, then why do players hide their cards until a time of their choosing?

I do see the Registry as a competition. There are obvious advantages to obscuring your set. Some of these advantages have been mentioned previously by other participants in this thread. For one, it does help prevent the "running up" of prices by clever auctioneers.

Why do I obscure my more competitive sets? Because I want to ultimately be the champion. How does it help?

If I check the census and see that there are only three copies of a certain issue...then I check the registry sets and notice that two of those issues belong to my direct competitors, then for me that book suddenly becomes a top priority.

If I check an auction and realize that my direct competitor does not have the book, then that book also becomes a top priority.

Keeping my set obscured prevents the competition from having the same advantage.

Personally, I cannot wait to "unobscure" some of my sets. But first, I must fill in a few more gaps in my collection. When I'm confident that the competitve danger has been removed...well that's the time I'll show my full hand. I will also feel more comfortable doing so after I win a couple of awards...because that is my ultimate goal.

I think that people should be able to obscure their set for any reason.

I *do not* agree with suggestions that would turn this into a money-maker for the CGC. I don't think people should have to pay to obscure sets or pay to see an obscured set. TERRIBLE IDEA!

If someone other than my direct competition wants a peek and contacts me, then I'd gladly show them the set.

There is one notion, however, that I can definitely get on board with...

Award-winning sets should be made public.

For me the registry should be for collectors showing off their collection and it should be for fun. I know I'm not going to get rich with a high grade collection of Teen Titans. But these are the books I first read as a kid and I am attempting to complete the collection. When I get time I want to take photos of each cover and post them to the registry. Final word, this is a hobby and it should be fun!

doc joe made the coment -- If its "competitive" then why obscure the sets?-- and I missed that the first time and it may be a easy answer

competitive sets and nonconpetitive sets

one shows for the public the other is private

Cant be more than fiddling with some computer programing for CGC

:)

I remember a time, not too long ago, when a couple of guys were battling it out for the #1 spot in the Marvel BA #1 editions set. I seem to recall the guy in second place obscuring his set so that no one would know what he was bidding on. I'm drawing a bit of a blank on the name, but maybe Doc Joe can help me remember.

I remember a time, not too long ago, when a couple of guys were battling it out for the #1 spot in the Marvel BA #1 editions set. I seem to recall the guy in second place obscuring his set so that no one would know what he was bidding on. I'm drawing a bit of a blank on the name, but maybe Doc Joe can help me remember.

:acclaim: (Your memory stinks dude)

Still have a few sets obscured, but not everything

Oh, yeah, now I remember. :baiting:

I am reminded that there is no bigger critic of smoking than a reformed smoker.

Oh, yeah, now I remember. :baiting:

I am reminded that there is no bigger critic of smoking than a reformed smoker.

You should see how righteous I get every time I try to improve my eating habits :sorry: