• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prevent Obscuring of high ranking sets

97 posts in this topic

Personally I do distinguish and understand the "I want to obscure this set for a while" , I have done it myself as I said. What I dont get is the "I will obscure every set I list" , as per Peter says, it seems to defeat the point of sharing and the registry becomes a fancy inventory system - which CGC could simply market and sell.

That's the primary reason why I use it...a free comic management system. CGC gets to entice others to collect CGC books, create demand, which increases a need for their service. Win for all.

I see both sides of the coin here, but if I'm not mistaken a Top Bronze/Silver/Modern winner set, even if hidden or not, is displayed in plain view for all to see even if it's hidden when they announce the winners. It's a snapshot in time, but you can see it. So CGC has mitigated this somewhat, although this only pertains to certain winners and not every top set is saved or display. I think if they could do THAT then people could have their cake and eat it too.

I also subscribe to the fact that hidden sets should be removed from any award notation of any kind. That would be another way to help curb behavior.

Here's a contentious notion: pay for the privilege of keeping the sets obscured.

Then the person obscuring them will probably just take them down altogether, which defeats the purpose.

...or begrudgingly pay and still keep the comics obscurred...

Can an obscured set win a plaque, such as best GA set?

Yes; This was a big what will happen when TF won this year; what they did was post the winners - link below - and when you went via this link you could see all the books in their set. If you just clicked on his listings via the registry in the usual manner then they were still obscured. The curtain was pulled back - albeit briefly.

http://www.collectors-society.com/news/ViewArticle.aspx?IDArticle=2844&CGC-Registry-Winners-2012

Same will presumably happen to the fully obscured wallstreetrebel - my understanding is (completely third or fourth hand) that he plans to delist after winning next year. But that information is as reliable as 'yellow cake'. I think I had one brief interaction with Wallstreetrebel - was a nice guy; I wish he would show me his junk online.

again in a nut shell

- is it primarily a tracking service?

or are these competitive sets for people to play in and compete?

I wish they would make (for sale) just a pure tracking service for people - but that would probably be the death of the competitive sets.

Can an obscured set win a plaque, such as best GA set?

Yes; This was a big what will happen when TF won this year; what they did was post the winners - link below - and when you went via this link you could see all the books in their set. If you just clicked on his listings via the registry in the usual manner then they were still obscured. The curtain was pulled back - albeit briefly.

http://www.collectors-society.com/news/ViewArticle.aspx?IDArticle=2844&CGC-Registry-Winners-2012

Same will presumably happen to the fully obscured wallstreetrebel - my understanding is (completely third or fourth hand) that he plans to delist after winning next year. But that information is as reliable as 'yellow cake'. I think I had one brief interaction with Wallstreetrebel - was a nice guy; I wish he would show me his junk online.

Someone should inform Wallstreetrebel that his sets will be unobscured.

They didn't bother to inform me that they were going to unobscure mine.

Here's a contentious notion: pay for the privilege of keeping the sets obscured.

Then the person obscuring them will probably just take them down altogether, which defeats the purpose.

Not really. If you can't see them, you can't see them. Right? If they're up: you can't see them, if they're down: same result.

Let everyone see them, unless the owner specifically wants them obscured from prying eyes.in that case, make them pay.

If they're obscuring just because they want their own private inventory, "that" seems to defeat the object of sharing pics within the community. Might aswell go Comic Collevtor Live for inventory purposes.

...or begrudgingly pay and still keep the comics obscurred...

Indeed, they would. But i think they would be in the minority. I think with the majority of obscurers, when faced with either making their sets unobscured or paying to keep them obscured, would probably just say "the hell with it, I'm not paying. If people want to see my slabs, let 'em".

At the moment, I think "most" collectors who "are" obscuring their sets are doing so because they want their own private inventory. .. and I think that goes against the whole spirit of having a registry set anyway.

.. toldja it would be contentious ;)

The people who are judging your set for the popularity contest can see your set whether it's obscured or not. If you aren't inclined to show it to the masses, then you shouldn't have to do so.

I agree - whether a set is obscured or not should be a personal decision. I just don't think that obscured sets should be eligible for any registry awards.