• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prevent Obscuring of high ranking sets

97 posts in this topic

I have seen people cheat on their registry. They list certs for books they do not own.

I was once bumped from the top spot and an award by someone that did not own half the books he listed. I think if you are getting an award your books need to be listed.

Obscure if you want, but no awards allowed.

Well' Dr. Watson, You had better take a (Back-Seat) on this one!

An' Yes, Ghost Town, and all the others here are Right-On, in their statements!

A few of the collectors' having their collections hidden,(obscured) from the rest of us,shouldn't have access to all the benefits, especially the Awards Program. The many that do proudly display their sets in Ngc,I believe deserve this,and get the first priviledges of it.

I made a comment about this just recently. Check out the Message I left here as well, I'm just glad NGC acknowledges this now, and is acting upon it, beginning this year 2013' ! Enjoy,and Show your NGC- Collections for Everyone to View!

Jim Berline

Go away, coin man. 2c

:acclaim:

There are many ways it could be done.

June is awards month, so no obscured sets in the month before awards

No awards if you obscure

Obscure only 2 sets at a time if you have less than 10 sets total

Obscure up to 4 sets at a time if you have more

only ever allowed to obscure up to 2 sets

Pay $10 a month to obscure a set

All sets revealed between 1pm and 1:15 every Tuesday

Only the top 10 registry holders can not obscure

The top two in any set can not obscure

Red heads prevented from listing any set at all

:o

That one would work since, other than on site grading, there would be no time to source and grade any other books.

I'm stil not seeing a difference between obscuring or simply waiting until the day before to register.

Simply eliminating any obscurred competitive sets would prevent any issues at all with timings. If people want to wait until the last minute to register then that should be their choice but their sets would still be visible. If they want to catalogue their collection privately they should use CPG or something similar. This way all sets included in the competition throughout the year are visible for all interested and equally sharing competitors.

Imagine everyone obscurred their sets...what would be the point of having a public competition where no one could see any of the books. That's like the super bowl where all players are invisible, including the pig skin.

I don't think charging $10 for being able to obscure sets accomplishes anything other than a cash grab as it will leave us all in the same predicament.

Simply eliminating any obscurred competitive sets would prevent any issues at all with timings. If people want to wait until the last minute to register then that should be their choice but their sets would still be visible. If they want to catalogue their collection privately they should use CPG or something similar. This way all sets included in the competition throughout the year are visible for all interested and equally sharing competitors.

Imagine everyone obscurred their sets...what would be the point of having a public competition where no one could see any of the books. That's like the super bowl where all players are invisible, including the pig skin.

I don't think charging $10 for being able to obscure sets accomplishes anything other than a cash grab as it will leave us all in the same predicament.

Even when you obscure a set you still see the points. You have no issue with me registering a set, winning an award and the deleting 90% of the books so I can rinse and repeat next year? Obscuring a set still sets a bar with the points system which fuels the competition and lines CGC's pockets. Other people wanting to know the details shouldn't even enter the equation.

As for your comparison I would relate obscuring the set to hiding play calling which is exactly what every team tries to do.

So what about creating a 2nd identity on the registry, registering your set there, adding descriptions and pictures and obscuring the set? Then when you feel the time is right you transfer all your books to your regular registry identity which had a set of 2 books unobscured the entire time.

I applauded the effort and lol most of the weekend.

All this while trying to condemn obscure sets. The set in 1st after all is obscured. lol

Nice moves. :applause:

This whole concept is one of the stupidest things I have read on these Boards, and that is a high bar.

:acclaim:

Well it seems it was effective at least in the short term. I'm left scrambling a little to catch up.