• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Romance 100pagers help please....

23 posts in this topic

All of them are hard to find because of there small popularity.

If you want certain issues that are hard to find then i have done a search on valiantman's site just for 100 page issues.

Young Love Issues

Young Romance Issues

Even though they are only CGC copies i hope this helps. thumbsup2.gif

thanx..... I know they USED to be considered hard to impossible to find... but over the years enough showed up. (Ive got most of them...) but I remember sdiscussions about which ones are NOW considered the hardest. (as in the later Young Romances are no longer considerd so impossible anymore..)

but thanx for doing teh CGC search....

thanx..... I know they USED to be considered hard to impossible to find... but over the years enough showed up. (Ive got most of them...) but I remember sdiscussions about which ones are NOW considered the hardest. (as in the later Young Romances are no longer considerd so impossible anymore..)

but thanx for doing teh CGC search....

In HG the later Young Romances are still hard to find confused-smiley-013.gif

I know you guys have discussed this, but can someone quickly tell me which issues of YOUNG LOVE and YOUNG ROMANCE are the harder issues to fine in high grade, or at all...

thanx.

The better answer will be what would be the easiest. YL 107-109 and YR 197-199 are the easiest, as there appears to have been a warehouse find back in the mid-late 90.

All the other numbers are pretty well difficult to find with the last few issues of each run tougher than the rest.

The Winnipeg pedigree seemed to be (so far) the only pedigree in which the books were in really high grade. However, the later ones weren't as nice as the earlier ones.

I know you guys have discussed this, but can someone quickly tell me which issues of YOUNG LOVE and YOUNG ROMANCE are the harder issues to fine in high grade, or at all...

thanx.

The better answer will be what would be the easiest. YL 107-109 and YR 197-199 are the easiest, as there appears to have been a warehouse find back in the mid-late 90.

All the other numbers are pretty well difficult to find with the last few issues of each run tougher than the rest.

The Winnipeg pedigree seemed to be (so far) the only pedigree in which the books were in really high grade. However, the later ones weren't as nice as the earlier ones.

sleeping.gif

I don't want to comment on the rarety of these books as I am not interested in them for investment reasons, but I did just want to comment on how much I like these books. I made an effort to buy all of the 100-page issues in affordable mid-grade condition and was lucky enough to find a few lots of them as well as some sellers on Ebay selling a bunch together, although individually. In my search, I encountered and purchased up to three copies of some, and have no copies of others. I would go through them now but they are a little buried at the moment, but I do know that some are more abundant than others, in all grades.

I actually like these books over ASM, Batman, X-Men or you name it. Yeah, I know they are "cheesy" romance, but really, they are more realistic, and we can certainly all relate to them much more than with most comics. Even though I am not a real "reader" I have read a few, and I found that they are sometimes very realistic, however, with a 70's mentality. I'm thinking about buying a few high grade slabs for showcasing purposes, but for investment, or value, I go elsewhere. -----Sid

I agree with Greggy.

Young Love 110-114 and Young Romance 200-204 are harder to find than the lower numbered issues.

Although these books may not be that popular with collectors, the fact remains that (as of the latest CGC census) Young Romance #203 is the only DC 100 pager (out of the 115 different issues from 1971-1975) that has had zero submissions.

I agree with Greggy.

Young Love 110-114 and Young Romance 200-204 are harder to find than the lower numbered issues.

Although these books may not be that popular with collectors, the fact remains that (as of the latest CGC census) Young Romance #203 is the only DC 100 pager (out of the 115 different issues from 1971-1975) that has had zero submissions.

So what? Just because there are no submissions for a particular issue doesn't mean it's rare. How many issues of the Atari Force series have been graded beyong the first two issues? Does this mean these are rare valuable comics?

That's not really a fair comparison though. A 9.8 atari force #4 is still not worth the sweat off the back of my.....

On the other hand a really high grade 203 would be worth something; there is some incentive there. But beyond the submissions issue, high grade copies of those books have always been tough to track down, pre and post cgc.

While it true that Atari Force is a POS, there are no Young Romance 203 submissions, let alone HG submissions. All this means is that nobody has bothered to submit, regardless of value. There is not a large market for slabbed romance books. So just buying pointing to 203 and saying that's the rarest book ever because there are no submissions is ridiculous.

Now you can have the Highest Census and only graded copy of YR 203

thanx guys. this was the info I was looking for. I dont have a 203 either! In any grade. I was going through the copies I had bought a few years ago, noting that I had paid a lot for some (all unslabbed) with the accepted wisdom that they were all pretty scarce since few collectors cared much about them. And The thinking was to buy them and pay a loy (up to $125) for any sharp looking copy.

So, not to jump to conclusions based on coincidence, but is there a chance that 203 does not exist? Seems starange that NO ONE has gotten one graded. Who here has a copy?

gee, never thought Id say this - - but wheres Ian when you need him???

thanx guys. this was the info I was looking for. I dont have a 203 either! In any grade. I was going through the copies I had bought a few years ago, noting that I had paid a lot for some (all unslabbed) with the accepted wisdom that they were all pretty scarce since few collectors cared much about them. And The thinking was to buy them and pay a loy (up to $125) for any sharp looking copy.

So, not to jump to conclusions based on coincidence, but is there a chance that 203 does not exist? Seems starange that NO ONE has gotten one graded. Who here has a copy?

It exist. I have a complete run of them.

It exist. I have a complete run of them.
sleeping.gif

While it true that Atari Force is a POS, there are no Young Romance 203 submissions, let alone HG submissions. All this means is that nobody has bothered to submit, regardless of value. There is not a large market for slabbed romance books. So just buying pointing to 203 and saying that's the rarest book ever because there are no submissions is ridiculous.

Now you can have the Highest Census and only graded copy of YR 203

I agree with that, but no one ever said that 203 was the rarest one, just that it's tougher to find than atari force! wink.gif

I don't recall stating that Young Romance 203 is rare. That WOULD be a ridiculous statement.

I have a very nice raw copy. For whatever reason, the fact still remains that none have yet been submitted to CGC.

The higher numbers are harder to find, and you don't see 203 come up very often.

Maybe it's because nobody wants them, maybe it's because there aren't that many in high grade, maybe a little of both.

Yes, there is a so-called VF on Ebay right now for $99.

Last, most people aren't in to purposely submitting low grade issues of ANY bronze copy to CGC.

sign-rantpost.gif

I don't recall stating that Young Romance 203 is rare. That WOULD be a ridiculous statement.

I have a very nice raw copy. For whatever reason, the fact still remains that none have yet been submitted to CGC.

The higher numbers are harder to find, and you don't see 203 come up very often.

Maybe it's because nobody wants them, maybe it's because there aren't that many in high grade, maybe a little of both.

Yes, there is a so-called VF on Ebay right now for $99.

Last, most people aren't in to purposely submitting low grade issues of ANY bronze copy to CGC.

sign-rantpost.gif

I understand where you and Bronty are coming from, but you are using the census as the basis for your arguement. The census while it can be a valuable tool for various reasons, should not be used to justify whether an issue is "hard to find" as you two both put it. It's a matter of semantics between "hard to find" and "rare".

We all know how little CGC books comrpise of the comic industry, as well as how little romance books comprise the comic industry. These two notions lend credibility that romance books are less abundant than say Spider-man books for example. You guys are kidding yourselves if you believe that 203 is this difficult to find, it's just a matter of lack of interest at this point.

While it is true that most people do not submit mid to low grade bronze. I think it's safe to say many people submit bronze books with the hopes of a HG book, but they may fall short of this. This is the reason there may be mid to low grade copies on the census.

So far there have been a few in this thread who say they have ncie copies, and that's just a small sampling of collectors out there. As well as those DC completionists as well.

I can see your point. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

On another note, Greggy, where's red? confused-smiley-013.gif

Ya think he'll come in at the last minute and buy your HOM and Unexpected?

I think maybe he already has a nice copy of Unexpected 160 that he bought a long time ago from (don't laugh) nikkat (who has had a few "actually great" books among his overgraded ones). Probably not 9.6, though.

I understand where you and Bronty are coming from, but you are using the census as the basis for your arguement. The census while it can be a valuable tool for various reasons, should not be used to justify whether an issue is "hard to find" as you two both put it. It's a matter of semantics between "hard to find" and "rare".

I agree with everything you said except the bolded part above. I think icefires was just saying in a casual way that there are no copies on the census as an almost unnecessary, casual back up his main statement that they are just hard to find period. Certainly no one is claiming that the census will actually be reflective of true rarities on books like these.

So I think any debate here is really more of a misunderstanding than anything. We're all pretty like minded on the issue from what I can see.

I agree with everything you said except the bolded part above. I think icefires was just saying in a casual way that there are no copies on the census as an almost unnecessary, casual back up his main statement that they are just hard to find period. Certainly no one is claiming that the census will actually be reflective of true rarities on books like these.

So I think any debate here is really more of a misunderstanding than anything. We're all pretty like minded on the issue from what I can see.

okay, from another angle then. What basis does Icefires, or anyone that 203 is hard to find? Just because he is unable to find a HG copy, does not mean that that particular issue is hard to find. This sounds too much like the Ian defense, "because I can't find it it is hard to find."