• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Man: Ditko or Romita?

Better Spider-Man: Ditko or Romita?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Better Spider-Man: Ditko or Romita?

44 posts in this topic

Well, I don't have time to sift through all the posts on the Ditko vs. Romita thread, so let's just get to the bottom of this. Of course this is subjective.

Given Ditko's contribution to Spider-Man's developement, it's Ditko all the way!

'nuff said! Make Mine Marvel! thumbsup2.gif

Do you guys think that Gil Kane is another good artist during his run on Spider-man

He sure was, although not in Ditko or Romita's league.

You could also add Ross Andru to the list of great Spider-man artist to,but yes GK was fantastic also...

cmon, Ross Andru? Not in the same league as Ditko Kane and Romita. Hes just a rougher Romita type: nice artist, good skills, but not unique or exciting at all.

Maybe he has not been there in the beginning of the line,but he has demonstrated to me that he can add a slightly different style which did not depart to much from Romita's.In fact he has add a more grittier mood to the line and would say he has added exciting elements to Spidey.From 125 to 149 was a great run and so on.If you don't thinks so that's fine,but I do appreciate his work... 893applaud-thumb.gif

are you talking about the stories during that run when you speak of your enjoyment of them? Or specifically Ross Andru's artwork? I think he's a good artist, and Im sure he can draw the pants off of both of us... but I dont think he's in the pantheon of GREAT comic book artists. or the top ten or twenty all time, do you?

are you talking about the stories during that run when you speak of your enjoyment of them? Or specifically Ross Andru's artwork? I think he's a good artist, and Im sure he can draw the pants off of both of us... but I dont think he's in the pantheon of GREAT comic book artists. or the top ten or twenty all time, do you?

The original post asked who? Ditko or Romita,well I guess my first post on the topic was both.Then someone else also add Gil Kane,I then thought of another artist in "MY EYES" who I think is excellent and kept the quality of the Amazing S. line going.Yes I agree that Ditko and Romita are 1 and 2 for that line.Don't forget this is for the A. Spider-man line not F.F. or JIM or X-titles.Why did you commented on my selection negatively and the other member of Gil Kane not. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

because in "MY EYES" Ross Andru, as competant and skilled as he is/was, doesnt hold a candle to Gil Kane or Steve Ditko for originality, creativity, style or talent. Out of the four in question, I place Romita 3rd and Andru 4th. His work was "serviceable"... but in no way "inspired".

Im not so much criticizing your affection for his work on Spidey - -he had a good run and ended up drawing many memorable stories. Its just that his body of work just doesnt compare favorably in "my eyes" with many comic book greats... and I dont think he will ever be considered in the small select list of the "best".

because in "MY EYES" Ross Andru, as competant and skilled as he is/was, doesnt hold a candle to Gil Kane or Steve Ditko for originality, creativity, style or talent. Out of the four in question, I place Romita 3rd and Andru 4th. His work was "serviceable"... but in no way "inspired".

Im not so much criticizing your affection for his work on Spidey - -he had a good run and ended up drawing many memorable stories. Its just that his body of work just doesnt compare favorably in "my eyes" with many comic book greats... and I dont think he will ever be considered in the small select list of the "best".

You have your opinion and taste and I have mine......

1) Ditko

2) Romita

3) Andru... thumbsup2.gif

Ross Andru did do some great work on ASM, and it is generally underrated. But as Aman has pointed out, his style was very derivitive of Romita, and therefore he can never really be considered an influence on the style and look of Spider-Man in the same way as Ditko and Romita can. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif