• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GLWTS!

81 posts in this topic

Directed at no one specifically:

It also doesn't help when a person gets a sketch from an artist and immediately upon getting it back from CGC it shows up in a sales thread or on ebay. That, I suspect, is why there are more and more artists raising their prices for them. Some creators feel the same about SS books. They sign books for someone, knowing the books are getting graded, and later on see them listed online for sale. I can see where they might get the feeling they're being used as someone's cash cow and not be happy with it.

Tim, this may be true to some extent. But to try and put some positive into what has been a very negative SS day, there are some artists that are absolutely ecstatic about sketch covers and the opportunity they provide. Darryl Banks was thrilled with the response that he received from his sketch opp. He has gotten several emails, and thus more opportunity to draw and make money. I think there a lot of artists that appreciate the opportunity to make money with their artistic abilities, especially those artists that don't have a steady book.

Agreed. I know one year my brother got a sketch (11 x 17) from Eddie Newell at Motor City Con. It seemed like he was having a slow weekend and was thrilled to have something to work on. He's not a big name artist but produces some really nice stuff. And he's a pretty nice guy.

I didn't mean for that post to have a negative undertone, sorry if it came across that way.

One thing that we as comic collectors need to realize is how lucky we are. Most creators sign for free or for minimal fees. Anyone looked at autograph prices at sports card shows lately? Or any time in the last 20 years for that matter. In most cases you're looking at $20 for Joe Schmoe bench warmer and that's if you're lucky.

It also doesn't help when a person gets a sketch from an artist and immediately upon getting it back from CGC it shows up in a sales thread or on ebay. That, I suspect, is why there are more and more artists raising their prices for them. Some creators feel the same about SS books. They sign books for someone, knowing the books are getting graded, and later on see them listed online for sale. I can see where they might get the feeling they're being used as someone's cash cow and not be happy with it.

I can see that, too - but it's always surprising to me when an artist takes this viewpoint. The entire existence of comic books is based on "collectibility" in some fashion, and for someone to get offended because someone wants to re-sell their autograph just seems short-sighted in terms of business. They get paid to sign, and the comic industry as a whole (CGC, sellers, fan who buy and then resell again) gets some financial benefit from that as well. The process helps the hobby as a whole.

I can see that, too - but it's always surprising to me when an artist takes this viewpoint. The entire existence of comic books is based on "collectibility" in some fashion, and for someone to get offended because someone wants to re-sell their autograph just seems short-sighted in terms of business. They get paid to sign, and the comic industry as a whole (CGC, sellers, fan who buy and then resell again) gets some financial benefit from that as well. The process helps the hobby as a whole.

I'm not sure all creators who attend conventions get paid to be there. I would think in a few cases they do and there are those I'm sure who's expenses are covered by the promoter. Beyond that I'm not certain.

I'm not sure all creators who attend conventions get paid to be there. I would think in a few cases they do and there are those I'm sure who's expenses are covered by the promoter. Beyond that I'm not certain.

True. But even if they don't get paid to sign by a promoter, I would guess they charge for a signature? I've only been to one comic convention and I can't remember who charged and who didn't. But I've been to lots of horror conventions, and every Tom, George and Harry who ever uttered a word in the cheesiest horror movies ever made gets $10-$20 for an autograph. I'd hope that comic creators charge for autos.

I figured this was a stab at me, so I will post this.

The price/value of a graded sketch is what YOU are willing to pay for it.

Needless to say, I don't want conflict. Those of you who know me, know that I more than fair whwhen it comes to getting things done

Its funny. No one in this thread knows who is talking to who

True. But even if they don't get paid to sign by a promoter, I would guess they charge for a signature? I've only been to one comic convention and I can't remember who charged and who didn't. But I've been to lots of horror conventions, and every Tom, George and Harry who ever uttered a word in the cheesiest horror movies ever made gets $10-$20 for an autograph. I'd hope that comic creators charge for autos.

Most do not. And many have to pay their way and pay for a table at a con as well.

Some do, some don't. Some only charge for CGC SS. Some sketch for free, some charge big bucks. It is generally left to the whims of the creator and that is fine with me.

With your really big shows like SDCC, NYCC, and Heroes, the publisher will sometimes pay to get their talent out in front of the drooling public to sign and sketch in an effort to promote their latest big project. This will generally draw out some of the "tougher" signers and these are generally free, although you may have to win a ticket for a spot in line.

Smaller publishers often can't afford such elaborate trappings and the creators are on their own to promote a project. This is the strongest reason I can think of to encourage people to cruise the artist alleys at shows. The people that make up the alleys are the soul of the modern comics industry. These are people that generally still have a "day job" and make comics for the love of it. They are the ones still trying to "break in" in most cases.

Another group in artist alleys is the veteran creators. They may not have a new book to promote or be the current "hot artist" but they have paid their dues and are out there either connecting with fans for the fun of it and/or trying to make a few bucks. One guy that comes to mind on this is Herb Trimpe. He's been on the show circuit for ages and genuinely seems to enjoy spending time with his fans.

Somehow I strayed way off topic....

hm

Anyway, some charge, some don't.

Most do not. And many have to pay their way and pay for a table at a con as well.

Huh. Well, I'm kind of surprised by that - not by you stating it, but that they don't charge for sigs. I mean, if they don't charge for autographs, and they have to buy their tables/meals/hotel - they pay for that out of pocket with the only way of recouping it is by selling sketches or prints? Wow.

Anyways - sorry for side-tracking the thread.

Bringing it back to what we were originally talking about - I think if more people knew what artists charge for sketch covers, it might improve the way people buy and sell them. This is a great website for that: http://www.sketchprices.com/home.html and sellers should think about quoting it in sales threads if it's accurate to do so.

I mean, I bought an Ebas cover for $600. I loved it, wanted it and because of it's rarity, wondered if I was paying a more than I should, but I figured: why not? They are super hard to find. Then, I found out that he charged $350/$400 for a copic sketch, and $50 to sub to CGC - not to mention the several hours someone has to stand in line to get it.

So, I got a sketch from Ebas, that I didn't have to travel to get it, didn't have to buy a hotel room to stay in, didn't have to buy convention tickets for, didn't have to wait in line for it, and didn't have to wait to get it back from CGC - all for an extra $150 on top of his/CGC fees.

Yeah, I'm ok with that. (thumbs u

Huh. Well, I'm kind of surprised by that - not by you stating it, but that they don't charge for sigs. I mean, if they don't charge for autographs, and they have to buy their tables/meals/hotel - they pay for that out of pocket with the only way of recouping it is by selling sketches or prints? Wow.

There's always the option of donating money to a creator when they sign or sketch something if they don't outright charge...

Ideologically, I understand how a creator may feel like he is being used for others to make money. Pragmatically, this industry (or any for that matter) cannot sustain itself without commerce and the selling of sigs, sketches, etc. are part of the machine that drives creative enterprise.

Needless to say, I don't want conflict. Those of you who know me, know that I more than fair whwhen it comes to getting things done

I love movies with a Mexican Stand-off!

there ya go

gbumexicanstandoff.jpg

there ya go

gbumexicanstandoff.jpg

lol

there ya go

gbumexicanstandoff.jpg

lol

0.jpg

there ya go

gbumexicanstandoff.jpg

lol

0.jpg

befunkyimages2.jpg

there ya go

gbumexicanstandoff.jpg

lol

0.jpg

befunkyimages2.jpg

271235-vlcsnap_357776.jpg

there ya go

gbumexicanstandoff.jpg

lol

0.jpg

befunkyimages2.jpg

271235-vlcsnap_357776.jpg

screenshot20120926at113g.png

Ideologically, I understand how a creator may feel like he is being used for others to make money. Pragmatically, this industry (or any for that matter) cannot sustain itself without commerce and the selling of sigs, sketches, etc. are part of the machine that drives creative enterprise.

I know one thing I do is encourage the creator to get SS sketches/books done themselves and have them/their agents/whomever sell it direct so they get it all! (minus eBay or ecommerce fees that is) I can think of several A-list artists where I've told them I'll pay the CGC grading fees, they draw it, mail it in, I pay the fees, books get mailed straight back to them, and they sell it, and it never touches anyone else's hands. Heck one guy has the blanks and a filled out invoice and paperwork. ;) Thankfully there are a growing number of us who are partnering with these artists to get the lions share of the money to the artist directly, whether it's a sketch opp or processing books for the creator.

Creators set up at shows and sell prints, commissions, product (comics, trades, posters, merchandise) to cover their costs, and they are also "marketing" themselves and making deals with editors and publishers at shows, so there can be an indirect payoff for going to shows as well. The rise in sketch cover business is usually a boon to many of these guys and sketch opps allow some to make money without travelling to a show, which is even better.

But yes, they sell a $50 sketch and see it sell for $200, they are more mad at themselves for "undercharging" is what I think. My answer - draw the best darn sketch you can for yourself, and get $400-500 by selling it direct in the open market and keep it all. Several artists have learned the power of "letting the market decide" by auctioning off guaranteed sketch spots for a show. Why draw 7-8 sketches to make the same amount of cash as 1 guaranteed sketch? It absolutely sucks for the fan who just wants to own something, but sometimes if a creator can make easy money with 1 high dollar sketch, they're happier to do quickie sketches or do sketches at smaller shows because they're not working so hard all year.

Ugh, too much else I can comment on. Go sketch covers! :)