• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artists who get better with age?

50 posts in this topic

...but his bronze age stuff from the 70's wasn't as strong to many fans... but maybe it was the Royer and Colletta Inks as opposed to Sinnott and Ayers...

Jack Kirby, of course. The GA stuff is good enough to make him an immortal, but his wheelhouse silver age art is why he's The King.

actually til about '75 the art is still very strong. In the late 70s early 80s is when it really slips but by then he had been in the industry 40 years, he's allowed at that point :)

Mike Deodato.

No. Have you seen any of his South American work? It is stunning.

DG

No, I haven't. I'm basing this off his 90's comic work, compared to what he's doing currently. Going by that standard, his current stuff is way better than his 90's Wonder Woman work.

Mike Deodato.

No. Have you seen any of his South American work? It is stunning.

DG

No, I haven't. I'm basing this off his 90's comic work, compared to what he's doing currently. Going by that standard, his current stuff is way better than his 90's Wonder Woman work.

Sadly, he took 10 steps backwards to get work in America. He was hired by Image and drew in the Image style because it was hot. He drew pretty similar stuff for DC. He's always been talented enough to draw in many styles. Now that I think about it, I believe he had a studio and didn't personally draw all the comics credited to his name in the 90's.

DG

Yes! Dave Sim's work on Glamourpuss has been spectacular.

The style he uses is based on photo reference storytelling.

dave sim? i hate the art in early cerebus but i dont know, did his art get better or did he just redesign cerebus to look better? adding gerhard sure didnt hurt too