• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarest Warrens

22 posts in this topic

Hi Guys--

Just curious your about your thoughts on this--I have many of the Eeries, Creepys and Vampis and Famous Monsters--but as we all know--this is such a small portion of the mags that Warren produced.

I have heard that Teen Love Stories and Freak Out USA are really tough--does anyone out there have any other titles or input on this?

Also--I am trying to track down a copy of The Warren COmpanion--I have heard from other boardies and mag collectors that this is a great source--but is ebay the only spot to get it? Is it totally out of print?

Odd Comix World Of Richard Corben.

Heidi Saha(creepiest magazine ever!)

House Of Horror#1

Outside the 4 big titles(Eerie/Creepy/FM and Vampy) these are my picks for the rarest. I am sure there are plenty of other odd ones, but from what I have sen, these three seem to take in big bucks when offered cause they just honestly do not come up very often.

I'd love to hear other opinions on this from others.

Blazing Combat 1

After Hours 1-4

The True Fantastic Story of Tiny Tim

Dracula Book One

Various isues of Spacemen and Help!

The Warren Companion is out of print. Have you tried looking for copies on Amazon or ABEbooks? There are qiute a few copies available if you don't mind the price.

You could also track down a copy of Comic Book Artist #4 (magazine, Tomorrows Pub., also out of print) which was the precursor to the Warren Companion.

It's funny-- I hear that Blazing Combat#1 was pretty hard to find but has never been the case for me and the After hours issues(especially #4 which has some Famous Monsters leanings within) should be super hard to find but the AH mags show up on the bay quite often, which is a surprise to me.

The Tiny Tim mag is one I never dug up, mostly from lack of looking, but I may have to add it to the hunt list. I could see this mag getting lost to time as I suspect Tiny Tims fanbase dropped pretty hard after his initial success.

Dracula Book One. Never seen a copy either. Sounds like fun.

Help and Spacemen I have seen but I am not 'up' on what is rare in the run.

All in all I suspect if you want to have a fun and challenging collecting experience going after a complete run of mind to high grade warrens would be a fun challenge. I am a Famous Monsters guy and have some of the keys from creepy and eerie.

You could be right about Blazing Combat 1 and the After Hours mags. It seems like in the last 5-10 years more copies of these have been hitting the market.

Generally, the early issues of Help! and Spacemen are harder to find. So much talent involved with Help! I wonder if they still hold up?

I know that I sold off all my Blazing Combats when Fantagraphics published the collected hardcover edition a few years back.

Blazing Combat 1

After Hours 1-4

The True Fantastic Story of Tiny Tim

Dracula Book One

Various isues of Spacemen and Help!

The Warren Companion is out of print. Have you tried looking for copies on Amazon or ABEbooks? There are qiute a few copies available if you don't mind the price.

You could also track down a copy of Comic Book Artist #4 (magazine, Tomorrows Pub., also out of print) which was the precursor to the Warren Companion.

The Warren Companion is an excellent read, and a bit difficult to find. Spaceman and Help! is/are fairly easy to find in the Toronto area, especially at The Beguiling.

Eerie #1 (ashcan) 1st print is very difficult to find and I'd add it to the list of most difficult Warren's to find.

I support the Eerie#1-- My issue with it is my deep ingrained fear that I would drop serious money on it and not know if it was a fake or not. I know how to spot the difference but I have that fear nonetheless.

The Warren Companion turns up here and there and can be snagged for a deal if you keep your open. It is an important book for anyone involved in collecting warrens, as is 'Gathering Horror' by David Horne' -- Which is hard'ish to find but not even remotely impossible as I think only 500 we're printed-- amazing book!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5874727

I've heard Horror Of Party Beach was a tough one to get in grade, but I have seen many nice copies over the years hidden within boxes and stacks at cons, collections and stores. It was a pretty cool issue as it was sort of a photo journal of the movie and Warren was planning to do a long running series of these, I think he only did Mole Men next and cut it off, but I could be wrong. I bet if he woud have done more classic films this idea would have taken off in a huge way.

Kind of reminds me of those amazing photo books of ALIEN and OUTLAND that came out in the early 80's. I worshipped those books.

And also-- if anyone has a copy of the OUTLAND PHOTO NOVEL. Please PM me, I want a new copy. Badly.

I mean not badly--haha... Don't want to pay too much. haha

I support the Eerie#1-- My issue with it is my deep ingrained fear that I would drop serious money on it and not know if it was a fake or not. I know how to spot the difference but I have that fear nonetheless.

The Warren Companion turns up here and there and can be snagged for a deal if you keep your open. It is an important book for anyone involved in collecting warrens, as is 'Gathering Horror' by David Horne' -- Which is hard'ish to find but not even remotely impossible as I think only 500 we're printed-- amazing book!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5874727

I've heard Horror Of Party Beach was a tough one to get in grade, but I have seen many nice copies over the years hidden within boxes and stacks at cons, collections and stores. It was a pretty cool issue as it was sort of a photo journal of the movie and Warren was planning to do a long running series of these, I think he only did Mole Men next and cut it off, but I could be wrong. I bet if he woud have done more classic films this idea would have taken off in a huge way.

I have heard that horror of party beach is tough too--wasn't Wally Wood the art director on this book?

Kind of reminds me of those amazing photo books of ALIEN and OUTLAND that came out in the early 80's. I worshipped those books.

And also-- if anyone has a copy of the OUTLAND PHOTO NOVEL. Please PM me, I want a new copy. Badly.

I mean not badly--haha... Don't want to pay too much. haha

Back in '67 - '68 when I was just a young budding Monster Kid of about 6 or 7, my favorite uncle decided to bestow upon me his entire stash of FAMOUS MONSTERS when he left for college. When he did so, he gave me a large box & took me up to his bedroom closet at my Grandparent's house where his stacks of FMs were & told me to to take everything I wanted.

Needless to say, I was VERY excited as I saw those stacks of magazines & I was mesmerized by all those terrific old covers with all my favorite monsters on them, as well as many that I'd never even seen before in print or on television. All these decades later & I can still distinctly remember my hands trembling as I packed them up in that box.

My treasure trove consisted of about 25 or 30 FMs.

But mixed in with them in those stacks, I clearly recall there being several issues of SPACEMEN, SCREEN THRILLS ILLUSTRATED & some other interesting stuff as well. Which, was all up for the taking, but for some unknown, silly reason, I left them behind.

I think that I was just so overwhelmed by my new, flush acquisitions of FAMOUS MONSTERS that I didn't know what I was doing! lol

Now, a few years later when I was about 11, I spent a week at my grandparent's house & was told that I could have anything left in my uncle's old room, who by then had graduated college, married & moved to Boston.

Naturally, I headed right for that closet & dug around frantically looking for those magazines, but to no avail. They were MIA, never to be seen again. Much to my everlasting chagrin as you can imagine.

It wasn't a total loss though, as I found some other pretty cool things like a complete set of the first collections of HP Lovecraft in paperback, another bunch of vintage horror paperbacks & a couple of those monster/hot rod model hybrids. Most of which I still have.

Great story BRK! My uncle got me into FM's as well. I was deadly sick as a little 4 year old and my uncle took my brother out for the afternoon. When they returned they brought me some comic books, Godzilla, micronaughts, star wars--my faves and the Jaws 2 issue of Cracked magazine(love that issue)-- I was pretty stoked, but then I saw what my brother had-- An issue of FM. It blew my little fool mind. I dropped everything and read over my brothers shoulder the rest of the day.

I have never been the same since--haha!

Out of all the Creepy mags,where does Creepy 32 fall in rarity?

With only 23 universals,and only 9 in 9.0 and above.I would say it's up there.

They are crertainly harder to come by, I'd wager that the cgc numbers are even a bit inflated because of the overstreet notation. Issues 19 and 29 are both tough too - there are four total 19s and 9 total 29s but I don't think that as many people know that these issues are tough because they are not noted in the guide.

Good Point--29 and 32 are tough--but there are other issues of Creepy--like 38 that are hard to find too. I can't remember which ones had low print runs--I have heard that some of the later issues are tough too due to low prints. I wish Overstreet would accurately note which ones are truly scarce--besides just 32.

I think 114 was just more popular than other issues around it, due to the whole Godzilla covered in awesome sauce cover. It may have sold out of the warren back issues as well, not sure though.

Honestly, not rare. At least to me.

Outside of the first 30 issues or so not many FM's are that tough to find if you look. But I did have issue in the early 90's digging up the last few warren issues 190-193. Now I know they are not very rare.

Indeed, the prices that sellers are asking for #114 are just ridiculous.

I just took a peek over on ebay at they had about four or five copies listed ranging from $69 to $175! And no, NONE of them are slabbed. Not even that one for a buck & three quarters.

Craziness.

I adored that issue when I had it as a kid & I'd love to acquire it again, but I have no intention of going anywhere NEAR those kinds of prices. So, I'm just going to continue to poke around flea markets, shops etc. & hope to come across an affordable copy.

Jim