• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OA I Love That Has Absolutely NO Investment Potential

63 posts in this topic

With all the focus on big ticket items, I may as well start a thread on art that doesn't get too much attention. Art I happen to love but has no investment potential whatsoever.

Tim Truman's Time Beavers:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?Order=Date&Page=1&GSub=17155

The fact that the majority of comic fans wouldn't even recognize the title "Time Beavers" should be an indication that this art has no investment potential. lol.

That's okay. When I entered this hobby, I have usually stuck with the philosophy of "buy what you love and can afford".

The 2 pages were some of the first OA I ever purchased and have been in my permanent collection ever since. Time Beavers was a graphic novel published by First Comics during the 1980's. I remember just being amazed at how good the inks looked. When I look at the pages today, I still think the inks are amazing.

Cheers!

N.

I'll give you two from my collection:

In the first case, Katie generates those cards by the hundreds at shows and while I (and lots of other people) think they are cool, I seriously doubt there is going to be a price surge as long as she can draw. She's young and strong so that should be a long, long time.

In the second case, it's a recreation (always a knock) of a successful, but not well known series (another knock) by an artist who doesn't have a large fan base from other work (another knock). None the less, as soon as I saw that issue, I knew I wanted that image. Check out Mark's expression when he finds his ex (Amazonia) at the bar with his fiancee. Priceless. The cover doesn't actually exist (digital) so I suppose this might be considered something other than a recreation, but it wasn't used print the book.

For the link impaired:

Cook,%20Katie%20-%20LSH%20Founders.jpg

Zahler,%20Tom%20-%20L&C%2011%20Cover%20Reproduction.jpg

This is a fun thread, great idea!

I get art from books I enjoyed reading, so there are certainly some that are not mainstream. At first I was going to say my Alan Moore Supreme collection, but even that might not quality (it's still by Alan Moore!)

So I submit 2 more obscure works

Dinosaurs for Hire - Original series

So for those that don't know Dinosaurs for Hire, its basically Alien Dinosaurs who come to earth, and guns, booze and babes are involved. I also thought it was HILARIOUS! So was happy to snag a few pages.

Dan Vado's Griffin

I'm sure even less people have read the Griffin. But it was a sci-fi action series that was a fun read. Go give it a try. I don't think it stood the test of time but it was fun.

Malvin

Here are two pieces that I love but have a very limited audience. First is the original art for Daves II Comics & Collectibles by Glenn Barr. Growing up in Ann Arbor Michigan I would goto The Eye of Agamotto on State Street (which later closed down in the 80s). About that time Dave's Comics started up, I had moved to California by then but whenever I visited Ann Arbor I would check out Daves II Comics & Collectibles, William & State street (upstairs). Great to own the art from a comic shop I used to frequent.

daves_II_ad.jpg

The other is a guilty pleasure of mine, FemForce, a cheesecake super-heroine team which I read in the 80s. Mark Heike who I feel is a very overlooked inker. He worked with Bill Black the publisher and penculer of many of the covers. The first time I saw Mark's art was with Femforce #7. A few years ago I was able to acquire the cover. FemForce is still being published (amazing for an independent publisher) but they don't have a big following.

Femforce7_cvr.jpg

Those are obscure! I can remember Dinosaurs for Hire a little, but Griffen is totally new to me. Nice books, but I think you are right - probably not a lot of financial appreciation to anticipate. :)

Those are obscure! I can remember Dinosaurs for Hire a little, but Griffen is totally new to me. Nice books, but I think you are right - probably not a lot of financial appreciation to anticipate. :)

Yup, obscure! There is also Aircel's Dragonforce, but the artist is Dale Keown, so it can't be that bad (although he did cringe when I gave him the comics and OA for those to sign, heh)

Malvin

Yup, obscure! There is also Aircel's Dragonforce, but the artist is Dale Keown, so it can't be that bad (although he did cringe when I gave him the comics and OA for those to sign, heh)

Malvin

How can anything called Dragon Force not be made of liquid awesome!?!?!?

I would think most commissions have no investment potential.

I also have an Archie cover with me which has no potential, and I overpaid for it just because it featured a lot of characters in their natural setting.

Malvin

How can anything called Dragon Force not be made of liquid awesome!?!?!?

Truth! Great idea for a thread...I've got a Darkhawk page or two...

I would think most commissions have no investment potential.

I also have an Archie cover with me which has no potential, and I overpaid for it just because it featured a lot of characters in their natural setting.

Yeah, as much as I enjoy commissions , there's not much hope of a return on them. Unpublished/rejected art is in a similar category, I think.

I, too, have an Archie cover (DeCarlo) with lots of folks that I suspect isn't going to put my grandkids through college. I don't think I overpaid (<$200), but who knows. :)

I don't post very often, but this is a great topic. I would say that a good deal of the art I own has little to no investment potential. But the one thing that really stands out most are my handful of Norm Breyfogle Prime pages. A completely defunct character from an equally defunct universe, Prime has absolutely no investment potential. Still I just love the art Breyfogle did during the first year that book was published.

I've been mainly focusing on obtaining pieces that mean something to me personally. While probably much of it might never reach that "investment" range, there are a couple I know for sure will not:

First, is my Ms. Tree page. While it is an excellent example of the charcater and the noir style that the book revolves around, I doubt this work by Terry Beatty is ever going to be a highly valuable commodity on the marketplace.

mstree44p11.jpg

Then, we have my page from the long forgotten Thing series from the 80's. The series was a lot of old school comic fun, especially during his stay on the Beyonder's Battleworld, but while artist Ron Wilson was one of the workhorse for Marvel in the 80's, he never really got any acclaim to make his work highly sought after.

thing15p7.jpg

I agree wih those here, who say that investment should never be a main factor in getting into comic art. Nostalgia and love of the work is what should always be paramount for anyone who wants to get involved in the crazy hobby.