• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clone

1,853 posts in this topic

Actually most of those on your list haven't had a pilot or been Greenlighted. But the key factor in Clone being different is none of those above titles have a backer / producer as big as Kirkman pushing it through. Big big big difference.

David S. Groyer was attached to executively produce 100 Bullets - his credits include co-writing The Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel.

Stephen Hopkins was attached to Chew - he's won Emmys for both 24 and Traffic.

D.J. Caruso was attached to both Preacher & Y: The Last man - he directed The Shield, Disturbia & I Am Number Four.

Locke & Key had friggin' Steven Spielberg attached to it.

etc

Actually most of those on your list haven't had a pilot or been Greenlighted. But the key factor in Clone being different is none of those above titles have a backer / producer as big as Kirkman pushing it through. Big big big difference.

Thief of Thieves has Kirkman pushing it and it's been put around the ringer.

Also, WB's in control of YTLM. It's being written by David Goyer (who just wrote Man of Steel and is writing the new supers/batman movie) and that can't even get that past a -script stage. Yes, Kirkman's great, but it's not like these other properties are small potatoes.

PLUS-- Have you seen NBC lately? Have you seen how awful their programming is? Have you seen how terrible they are at amplifying the content and shows they have? It's a shame how bad the network's gotten and I wouldn't trust them to do anything correctly.

Speculators, make your money i guess! I wish the book success, but I think you'd be naive to think this will be on TV anytime soon. Or ever.

Yup... all very valid points regarding titles that have not seen the light of day on any screen. However the specualtion is .... well pretty much ok for now, as far as that side of things is concerned.

I agree with you that NBC are not the greatest network when it comes to developing original material but, the single biggest thing that Clone has going for it with them is it falls into that safe mainstream crime/thriller/conspiracy/mystery drama category that they like to pick up. Not Kirkman.

I can't remember... is this rumored for the next pilot season in 2014? Either way there's no way you can call it now unitl it gets to the pilot stage and more importantly when you know who it is up against.

So is this going to get Sixth Gun/Peter Panzerfaust big until it's inevitably cancelled before production starts? You lunatics should check Ebay UK where issue 1 is still selling for £3.

There is virtually no chance this doesn't make the air even on NBC with Kirkman producing. Seriously man if you think otherwise you are going to be disappointed.

Didn't you say the same thing about Sixth Gun? :)

It's absolutely insane to think anything related to a TV production is ever guaranteed - no matter who's producing it.

Don't think I ever said such on Sixth Gun but the difference here is :

1. Kirkman is thriving off WD and TV show is highest rated cable show.

2. Kirkman is producing Clone.

3. NBC executives did drop the ball on WD for whatever reasons, they will not make a mistake with Kirkman again.

Nuff said!

WD would never have worked on NBC ... it's a hugely successful show because it ended up on cable (so they could do all the gory bits), has zombies (which are hot hot hot) and managed to draw in a ton of non-comic-book viewers.

That Kirkman is involved in Clone almost guaranteed that it would get optioned - just like Thief of Thieves - but in the end it all comes down whether NBC thinks the show can make them money. There are certain producers who can get shows greenlit & aired solely based on their name - Joss Whedon springs to mind - but Kirkman is nowhere near that level yet.

I prefer Kirkman over Whedon. Kirkman is a comic guy who pushes other media. Whedon is a TV/Movie writer who pushed into comics. I think this show happens and I think all signs point to it. I would think everybody on this site would be pushing for it. The more quality comic productions either TV or movies, the better imho. Time will tell and it won't take much time with this one. :grin:

We'll come back to this thread later on and I would take a guess the tune will have changed. Still most of those above never got a pilot cast and finished. Sixth Gun did make a pilot and one of these days a network will take a risk on it.

I'm really starting to get tired of all the detracting comments on these threads lately. Is anyone happy with anything out there? Are there any titles that are "perfect" or any news that someone wants to be "positive" about??? Seriously fellas its the summer why be so blue?

We'll come back to this thread later on and I would take a guess the tune will have changed. Still most of those above never got a pilot cast and finished. Sixth Gun did make a pilot and one of these days a network will take a risk on it.

I'm really starting to get tired of all the detracting comments on these threads lately. Is anyone happy with anything out there? Are there any titles that are "perfect" or any news that someone wants to be "positive" about??? Seriously fellas its the summer why be so blue?

Not upset by it in the slightest... just balanced.

I've loved Clone from the get go and thought it'd make a great TV series and really hope it does however: NBC is owned by Comcast. Being in Philly I can tell you that the entire Comcast company from top to the bottom has their heads up their es.

Be stoked but stunned if Clone ever airs

Totally hear you man, but I was just giving some proof points based on what's actually happened in the past. These things are like lottery picks in the NBA: all the potential in the world, but most of the time, it's really only one or two of them that actually make a dent in the biz.

Rights deals nowadays have really just become a nice PR play for a book.

Locke and Key and Wonder Woman both had pilots if I recall correctly.

Nobody is purposely bashing anything. There is a lot of wisdom on these boards. This is not their first rodeo when it comes to comic book properties being optioned to other media. Knowledge from past experiences will lead to a better understanding of the current market and what to hopefully expect in the future. It's always helpful to have a grasp on the ceiling and floor when it comes to how certain news will impact the monetary potential of a book that you are invested in.

Just my 2 cents. Please don't take viewpoints that are not as rosy as yours as bashing you or the book. It will make your experience here more enjoyable, as well as your experience buying and selling.

You mean as opposed to blowing sunshine up everyone's posterior? You are so sure that you're labeling any doubt as being negative. Odds are very likely this goes nowhere.

Nobody is purposely bashing anything. There is a lot of wisdom on these boards. This is not their first rodeo when it comes to comic book properties being optioned to other media. Knowledge from past experiences will lead to a better understanding of the current market and what to hopefully expect in the future. It's always helpful to have a grasp on the ceiling and floor when it comes to how certain news will impact the monetary potential of a book that you are invested in.

Just my 2 cents. Please don't take viewpoints that are not as rosy as yours as bashing you or the book. It will make your experience here more enjoyable, as well as your experience buying and selling.

Yes, and to boot, Wonder Woman was being led by Whedon. After WB passed on it, Whedon blew off WB, went to Disney, directed the Avengers and the rest is history. One of the biggest causes of WB/DC's impotence when it comes to movie development is shorting Whedon.

Complete sidebar, but Much Ado by Joss Whedon was freaking awesome

WD would never have worked on NBC ... it's a hugely successful show because it ended up on cable (so they could do all the gory bits), has zombies (which are hot hot hot) and managed to draw in a ton of non-comic-book viewers.

Hannibal has more gore than The Walking Dead.

The writer of Clone has a contract (that predates the creation of Clone) to develop properties for the network, people keep mentioning Kirkman ignoring that Schulner has worked for NBC for years.

This isn't the network buying the rights to a tempting property with the possibility of it at some point in the future getting a pilot. Its a property created by a contracted employee of a network who was hired specifically to bring new shows to the network. Its a huge difference.

Yes, and to boot, Wonder Woman was being led by Whedon. After WB passed on it, Whedon blew off WB, went to Disney, directed the Avengers and the rest is history. One of the biggest blows to WB/DC's impotence when it comes to movie development is shorting Whedon.

Complete sidebar, but Much Ado by Joss Whedon was freaking awesome

I've heard nothing but good things about Much Ado. I'll check it out.

I think people are just offering some more realistic opinions to balance out the less realistic:

There is virtually no chance this doesn't make the air even on NBC with Kirkman producing. Seriously man if you think otherwise you are going to be disappointed.

The writer of Clone has a contract (that predates the creation of Clone) to develop properties for the network, people keep mentioning Kirkman ignoring that Schulner has worked for NBC for years.

Not very successfully though, right?

why would you say that...it's basically on a fast track....which show went from comic book to tv deal this quickly? There is a lot of power behind this play, and reps on the line...I just sold a set for 50...just saying

Not very successfully though, right?

But this little factoid is the ONLY thing that increases the chances of Clone being seen. It may only increase the chances by a percent and it may only air one episode but it does have something extra going for it.

Great point-- and just to illustrate one more time how someone with not just a foot in the door, but a seat at the NBC table still can't even get his projects off the ground, here's a Deadline article that references David's other two projects with NBC.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/writer-producer-david-schulner-signs-new-deal-with-universal-tv/

Getting a pilot picked up is unfortunately pretty common and you'll save yourself a ton of money by just letting news like this go in one ear and out the other.

Edit for clarification for the lazies: Universal TV is exclusively owned by NBCUniversal TV Group.