• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Thor 151 & Silver Surfer 10

14 posts in this topic

Thanks to everyone who's taken the time to reply to my PGM threads. You have been VERY helpful to me in getting a decent handle on approximate grades. Again, I will be putting these 2 up on eBay this Sunday 30th for 7 day auctions (shamless plug!)

OK, what do you guys think? I'm also providing interior shots to show PQ as well as artwork.

Marvel really kicked some arse in those days with early Kirby and Buscema! :cloud9:

eBay3.jpg

eBay3a.jpg

Thor1.jpg

Thor1a.jpg

eBay22.jpg

eBay22a.jpg

SS1.jpg

SS1a.jpg

6.0/6.5 for the Thor, on the low side (not because I wants it precious) but because of how the spine looks on the BC

6.5/ 7.0 for the SS

Great books MOD.

Thanks for the grades, bro! (thumbs u

I can live with listing these grades for these 2 books. Ranging between Fine, Fine+, Fine/Very Fine. Yes, I can deal with it.

Hopefully I'll find loving homes for these 2 on the 7th of October! :acclaim:

If you're putting books like this up I don't think you'll have any issues selling, regardless of where you're selling from. GLWTS

Thanks, Hado, for the well wishes. I'm really looking to place my "babies" with good homes. I have a slew of other Silver Age Marvels. Some in better condition than these. Many the same. It's time for me to sell many of my duplicates and these to raise some cash for either other Bronze Age Marvels or .... gulp ... CGC fees! :insane:

Let me digress for a moment. When I take photos of these books, I gingerly read and look at the awesome artwork. Some of which I haven't seen in decade since my collection is pretty much boxed up and stored airtight.

I have to say the stories/art still kicks major arse.

I know I'm a "baby boomer," and I will always be biased by supporting King Kirby, Big John Buscema, his younger brother Sal Buscema, Gene Colan (as in my MODOK collage signature,) Ross Andru, John Romita Sr., Herb Trimpe, Neal Adams, Joe Kubert, etc.

Nothing against the modern artists of today, but I will be a loyalist to the bitter end.

I'm a tad younger so I have artists that were "big" influences when I was just getting started collecting; Andy & Adam Kubert, Bagley, Keith, Silvestri are names I'll always love, so I understand the bias. Pitty those of us who have to back-track to see these great stories.

@Hado: Glad you picked Silvestri, since – unlike Jim Lee, for example, he actually knows how to deliver a story. Although I prefer Texeira and Stuart Immonen.

Bagley is occasionally good, but became too predictable quite early on. Besides, I can’t stand his current work since the inkers they put on him are unfit (well, even Colletta was pretty unfit to Jack, but it’s another story…).

There is, of course, a legitimate subjective side on how we appreciate artwork, and possibly stories, but there is also the most important, objective element, for which artists which emerged since the late 1990s often doesn’t have the proper training to draw all things needed to *narrate* a story. On writers I wouldn’t even begin, since now almost everyone is lacking the background needed to write adequate superhero stories.

want that Thor
I told you.. It's mine :sumo:

Yup! Bargain at $15.99 also! :headbang:

Check your PM. I need your telephone number for Thailand Post Registered Airmail.

Congrats on the win! YOU DA MAN! :sumo: