• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cracked slabs in the mail

14 posts in this topic

is it me or is a lot of other people having the cgc slabs coming in all cracked and broken.lately 1 out of 3 are coming in cracked and this is driving me insane!!! some sellers really know how to package them,but others really need to take some lessons. mad.gifconfused.gifmad.gif

I've received literally dozens of cracked slabs...that's why I keep going back to sellers who I know package well. Every time I buy something from a new person, I always send them specific packaging instructions.

Those cases are deceptively fragile and I've tried to spread the word about this as much as possible. I know some sellers have improved their packaging after receiving a thorough tongue-lashing from me after receiving one or more cracked slabs from them.

Gene

I've had a handful that arrived cracked, but it rarely happens for me (knock on wood). It usually happens when the insufficiently_thoughtful_person decides to send it in a bubble mailer or those cheesy priority envelopes with no cardboard!!! mad.gif I've also received cracked cases when the seller decided to throw the slab in a Priority box with nothing to protect it at all which basically allowed it to move within the box mad.gif

ive also seen a few people who try to save on shipping and pack them in very small packages and it never fails,i have become pretty good at taking super glue and making them look better but that is a pain in the .i just sent 13 to get new slabs and wouldnt you know it this week i have already had 3 come in cracked.the safest people as far as i have seen have to be tropic comics,now they can package some @#$%@#$ comics!!! wink.gif

LMAO, tropic puts their books in 2 of those UPS bubble mailers that are extra thick and double boxes them I believe smile.gif

It doesn't take that much to protect a book. All it takes is some common sense. I keep an extremely well packed CGC package under 2 pounds. I prefer to use a ton of popcorn because it keeps the package extremely light while giving the slab more than enough protection from abuse.

Not to mention the fact that "The REAL Wonder Girl" isn't even one of the titles.

My THING 16 came to me as a 9.2 with a perfect slab. I kept it horizontal a while and pulled it out to look at the cover and Badda Bing! Crack in the lower right. So I pulled it from the slab and am glad cause it literally looked about 75% better that way. The gloss was really apparant (and it wasn't behind the slab). Richness of colors improved nicely too. And I READ the sucker! grin.gif

Worse cracked slab I had was a book sent in a bubble envelope with no other protection. shocked.gif Also it was sent FedEx, and those guys know how to throw a package around! The CGC case arrived with a huge crack right across the centre, luckily the book was undamaged (phew).

Emailed the seller stating how unhappy I was, but got no response. So, lost future business for that guy. mad.gif

when i first started to bid on comics on ebay i won amaz spiderman# 90 nm,this one was not cgc graded,but the guy sent the comic in just a envelope with out anything not even a bag or board.when i go to the mail box it is curled all up like a newspaper.needless to say it was a terrible looking book mad.gif

I don't have much experience in this arena, but so far so good.

I haven't sent any books to be graded yet, so I can't speak for CGC's packaging.

I only have 9 slabbed books to my credit so far and each of them was shipped tremendously. As it happens though, even with a great job of packaging, one of the books I bought from a pretty reputable seller was cracked and he was kind enough to send me some cash with PayPal to get it re-slabbed. And he didn't have to do that because the book in question just happened to be one that we "agreed" to transact even though the auction ended without his reserve being met. In other words, I had no way to leave him Neutral or Negative feedback but he took responsibility anyway. When I do send my first shipment to CGC, I'll send this book out too and voila.

That can't be right, what if someone ships you some CGC book WELL packed in a generic cardboard box...you would really not give them a positive, even though you can clearly see that the way the comic was packed prevented damage?

USPS boxes are not any stronger than normal cardboard boxes.