• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay listing cost vs. invoice costs

4 posts in this topic

I won an auction tonight for which shipping is listed at $8. When I received the invoice, I noticed the seller is charging me $11.50. I contacted him to ask why the difference, and he said that is what a similar shipment recently cost him. We're only talking 19 comics here.

Has anyone run across this before? I know it's only a $3.50 difference, but it seems shady. And, coincidentally, it gets the auction price up to his BIN price. Should I just eat the difference and chalk it up as an "oh well"? Or do I have a legitimate gripe?

The only thing you might try is to ask the seller if he will refund the shipping difference between what is paid and the actual cost. Otherwise you are at his mercy as far as getting your books. confused-smiley-013.gif

Did he specifically state in his auction that shipping is 8 dollars?? If he did, then hold him to it. BTW How are the comics being shipped? Was he specific about that??

BTW You might want to move to general section - it might get more looks. gossip.gif

The auction specifically says that shipping will be $8 under the shipping and payment details section (right below the counter) which he said was for the standard USPS media rate (seems about $4-5 too high if this is the same as media mail).

He said the extra charge is because he wants to ship it UPS ("So it gets to you in better condition by better people handling it"). He shipped an "almost identical" package today, and that was the cost to ship it UPS. He then wants to get the package insured (no insurance was offered in the listing), so the comics will be covered should perhaps "they fall into a mud puddle, TRUST ME, I have had comics delivered in pretty beat up conditions, please add this for both our sakes. I don't want you to end up with the short end of the stick." Doesn't UPS include insurance up to $100? I know UPS Ground does.

He sent an email a few minutes later that said it was my choice whether I have him ship USPS or UPS.

At this point, I'm somewhat worried that he'll deliberately do something to them if I don't go the UPS route with insurance. I haven't paid him yet, but I guess I'd rather pay the extra few bucks to get my comics in good condition and avoid any further headaches.

Thoughts? confused-smiley-013.gif