• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

I feel a bit uncharitable saying this, as ES has participated in the boards and been so friendly and generous with his time. But as this is a public forum, I'm going to soldier on...

I finally got to read the first two issues, and while there are things about them I like, being honest I'm not sure I would have pursued the series further without the stylish covers and the general buzz around the title. It's read to me as a pretty slow start, and perhaps more critically, I don't yet feel emotionally invested in the characters.

That said, I have a fresh copy of #3 still waiting to be read, so I do look forward to seeing where the storyline is going. I can appreciate that it does take a few issues for a title to set up all the chess pieces on the board (Thief of Thieves comes to mind, and it's among my favorites).

Thoughts?

If it's not for you, it's not for you. What's the big deal?

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

I feel a bit uncharitable saying this, as ES has participated in the boards and been so friendly and generous with his time. But as this is a public forum, I'm going to soldier on...

I finally got to read the first two issues, and while there are things about them I like, being honest I'm not sure I would have pursued the series further without the stylish covers and the general buzz around the title. It's read to me as a pretty slow start, and perhaps more critically, I don't yet feel emotionally invested in the characters.

That said, I have a fresh copy of #3 still waiting to be read, so I do look forward to seeing where the storyline is going. I can appreciate that it does take a few issues for a title to set up all the chess pieces on the board (Thief of Thieves comes to mind, and it's among my favorites).

Thoughts?

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

:golfclap:

"And the crowd goes wild!"

Thoughts?

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Howdy, Eric. I was curious about other folks' first impressions of the book, having read about the title but not read it myself until now. The consensus seemed to be that things really get cooking with #3, which is great to hear as that ish is next up for me.

Not slamming the book; just having a discussion. :foryou:

That's how I took it as well. I wonder if e.s. has witness one of our epic derails? lol

Agreed. I do like the comic, love the covers, love the art- but I am a bit befuddled by the ballistic craziness that people have over it? Granted, it's rare that I understand that kind of ZOMG!1!!!!thisBookIsAWEzeomeMustSpend$$$$$on it NOW! attitude that is prevalent these days.

The only comic fever I "got" when I saw the book was the fervor over Cursed Pirate Girl, which was just like nothing ever seen before.

Thoughts?

In a way I agree with you but for me it seems to have that special *something* that makes me keep coming back. I think it's a slow burner and each issue we're getting a small bit of the onion skin peeled back. I think the world that we're seeing is huuuuge and I'm very interested in seeing where it's going. The quality of the writing & art plus the mystery and the world that's being revealed is what I believe are keeping people interested. The characterisation and being emotionally invested in the characters is coming slowly imo but doesn't detract from its enjoyability.

Howdy, Eric. I was curious about other folks' first impressions of the book, having read about the title but not read it myself until now. The consensus seemed to be that things really get cooking with #3, which is great to hear as that ish is next up for me.

Yeah, my point was why be concerned about what I thought? It's not the end of the world if you don't like it, regardless of my presence on the board. Just speak your mind. Different people like different things, and honestly, I'm writing this first and foremost for myself, and my tastes no doubt vary wildly from others', especially in regard to comics.

As for your question, reviews have been overwhelmingly positive from the start (which isn't to say there weren't some negative reviews, because there were, but the majority of them were very positive), but yeah, issue three was the one that seems to have really pushed it over the edge. Which was the plan all along.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Love this series and cant wait for #4 since I cant stop re-reading 1-3!

The character interactions and acting in this series has been superb. Even subtle things in art such as facial hair, aging, ect has been very enjoyable for me as well.

Is it me or do many general comic readers just dislike having to actually read? Seems like many series/issues that use words as their main driving points receive generally lower reviews, idk.

I think it's the refinement of this comic that makes it stand out for me. The little things like the World Corp adverts and the detail in the artwork, detailed tattoo's, detailed graffiti in the background and just simple items in the background that don't need to be added but are.

The science chronicle, the book excerpts and character bio's all add to the overall package. As I said, the refinement is excellent and really makes the comic stand out.

Edited by buddymagoo