• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

Can you give a little insight on where the style of the book comes from? Was this the vision you had in your mind all along when birthing the idea, or is it more of an art decision? Or somewhere in between? I love the clean, hip layout. Nothing superfluous! Thanks for reading, big fan here

Well, the mid-century modern style of the architecture, clothing, etc. is something I'm into personally and wanted to include in the look of the book. In terms of the design -- Fonografiks had done these re-interpretations of various comics as '60s style paperbacks, and I really liked the look of those. Nate had worked with Fonografiks before, so when he suggested him, I was completely on board for that.

We knew we wanted a clean look to the covers, and I'd wanted to do put the credits and indicia on the back cover of a book for a while, but Fonografiks kind of took everything Nate and I said about all that and came up with the overall look of the covers.

In terms of the various articles and ads, with the articles, I'm generally suggesting something based on an existing sources -- the interview in issue one is from Playboy, the fact file in that issue is from an old feature that used to run in New Musical Express, the Nigel ad is a late '60s Volkswagen ad, etc. – but other things are just Fonografiks taking a vague idea and some copy and creating something from scratch. (The "Into Tomorrow" and "Trans-Island Skyway" ads are good examples of that.)

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Awesome thanks for posting the reply and some information about how your book came together!

Dont stop with the ephemera cause that has been very enjoyable and well done. The articles especially have been very entertaining to me

Can you give a little insight on where the style of the book comes from? Was this the vision you had in your mind all along when birthing the idea, or is it more of an art decision? Or somewhere in between? I love the clean, hip layout. Nothing superfluous! Thanks for reading, big fan here

Well, the mid-century modern style of the architecture, clothing, etc. is something I'm into personally and wanted to include in the look of the book. In terms of the design -- Fonografiks had done these re-interpretations of various comics as '60s style paperbacks, and I really liked the look of those. Nate had worked with Fonografiks before, so when he suggested him, I was completely on board for that.

We knew we wanted a clean look to the covers, and I'd wanted to do put the credits and indicia on the back cover of a book for a while, but Fonografiks kind of took everything Nate and I said about all that and came up with the overall look of the covers.

In terms of the various articles and ads, with the articles, I'm generally suggesting something based on an existing sources -- the interview in issue one is from Playboy, the fact file in that issue is from an old feature that used to run in New Musical Express, the Nigel ad is a late '60s Volkswagen ad, etc. – but other things are just Fonografiks taking a vague idea and some copy and creating something from scratch. (The "Into Tomorrow" and "Trans-Island Skyway" ads are good examples of that.)

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Eric, I know it has been said many times but think I speak for a number of individuals.

I appreciate that you take the time to post on the boards and also answer "fan mail".

Edited by iceman399

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Eric, have you ever thought of putting the articles and ads together as a NWM Special or Annual once there is enough material to do one?

Eric, have you ever thought of putting the articles and ads together as a NWM Special or Annual once there is enough material to do one?

No, because they're specific to what's happening in the story.

We may do a portfolio of some of the more graphic design-oriented ads, but the articles are components of the actual story.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

We may do a portfolio of some of the more graphic design-oriented ads, but the articles are components of the actual story.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

i think its good to keep them only in the floppies, as an incentive to own the floppies

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Understood, but it would be neat to have the articles together in a magazine style "special" with a new story or two as well. (thumbs u

For OA fans, here's a page I picked up recently from Nate:

nowheremen2p3b.jpg

The team shot is the one that was used for the back cover to #1. A nice bonus. This cost less than half the going rate of the Thought Bubble. OA is undervalued relative to some of these variants, imo. But to each their own, of course.

Don't tip people off! I've been saying the same thing for about a year now.

Where do you order this from?

shut-up-and-take-my-money_zps5af3e865.jpeg

I don't think it's a secret;) I used to collect high grade, until I realized that OA was cheaper than some 9.8s. That was 2005. I'm sure others have reached the same conclusion on their own at varying points.

Where do you order this from?

Been getting a lot of PMs, so here's the link for everyone:

http://fetorpse.bigcartel.com/

You can order direct from Nate. Good luck!

He won't put OA up on there. If you'd like to get OA you have to contact the artist through that page and tell him what issue and what page you're interested in.

To make life easier he told me to take a pic or describe the page as well because they don't always line up with numbering. In doing this you can quicken the end result as I a am sure he gets tons of emails. Good luck!

I don't think it's a secret;) I used to collect high grade, until I realized that OA was cheaper than some 9.8s. That was 2005. I'm sure others have reached the same conclusion on their own at varying points.

The only problem with Modern OA, especially covers, is that it is just as volatile price-wise as modern variants or #1 9.8s. In most cases you are better off waiting until the series is a bit longer in the tooth and prices have pulled back after the initial surge in demand has subsided to jump in.

In addition, you have to be very careful with the pieces you pick up. Interior pages are hit and miss with longer term value.

Yeah, if you're getting into OA to speculate that can be a dangerous game. You can easily get stuck with pages that no one wants or if you buy something expensive it's possible you may have to wait a while for the buyer to come around.

If I am contacting an artist because I want a specific page, it's because I actually want it and assume i'll be buried with it lol