• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

Okay... who's the hater. Put 'em up against the wall... :taptaptap:

Not from here, someone from the iFanboy community, actually.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Okay... who's the hater. Put 'em up against the wall... :taptaptap:

Not from here, someone from the iFanboy community, actually.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Nate's art was actually what attracted me to pick up the book before I even read it.

This seems like a good place to say, I do think the art is pretty cool. Love the newest cover (#4) !

As a kinda cool data point, I work at a design firm and have had a few of the books perched on a shelf in my workspace for the last few weeks, and quite a few female non-comic-reading colleagues have been intrigued enough by the covers to ask me more about the title.

Hey ES, how many hours a night do you sleep between your duties as Image's publisher and having to churn out NWM each month? You sound like you have a chaotic schedule.

I manage to get my rest!

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

im digging the FF/NWM idea

NWM = this generation's FF

I dislike the FF comparison for the simple reason that the FF has sucked as a franchise since well before I was born...... :baiting:

On the other hand, the X-franchise is one of the top three comic book properties (Spider-Man and Batman being the other two) in the world right now. Shoot for the top instead of the bottom. (thumbs u

IMHO, NWM is more like the X-Men since the characters are evolving via a "mutation" caused by a virus. This will allow Eric and Nate to continue to add new characters as more people are affected, which is closer to the mutant proliferation in the X-Men. In NWM, the mutations would have happened in a lab buried underground or underwater just as easily as in outerspace.

im digging the FF/NWM idea

NWM = this generation's FF

I dislike the FF comparison for the simple reason that the FF has sucked as a franchise since well before I was born...... :baiting:

On the other hand, the X-franchise is one of the top three comic book properties (Spider-Man and Batman being the other two) in the world right now. Shoot for the top instead of the bottom. (thumbs u

IMHO, NWM is more like the X-Men since the characters are evolving via a "mutation" caused by a virus. This will allow Eric and Nate to continue to add new characters as more people are affected, which is closer to the mutant proliferation in the X-Men. In NWM, the mutations would have happened in a lab buried underground or underwater just as easily as in outerspace.

i think its more like FF as its not for the "capes crowd"

NWM requires reading

I thought this quote from a recent Bleeding Cool review of #4 really summed up the way I feel about this series.

"...I thought I was reading a comic like (the criminally under-loved) Greatest Hits, more of a dramatic story of science and drama. I didn't realize I was reading the modern comics Watchmen. I’m serious here, not being hyperbolic or silly. When you read actual issues of Watchmen you feel it, being connected to this big “thing”, it’s an immersive experience, it doesn't feel like reading a comic book. That’s Nowhere Men all over. It doesn't feel like you’re reading “just a comic book”, it feels like something else entirely." Source

I thought this quote from a recent Bleeding Cool review of #4 really summed up the way I feel about this series.

"...I thought I was reading a comic like (the criminally under-loved) Greatest Hits, more of a dramatic story of science and drama. I didn't realize I was reading the modern comics Watchmen. Im serious here, not being hyperbolic or silly. When you read actual issues of Watchmen you feel it, being connected to this big thing, its an immersive experience, it doesn't feel like reading a comic book. Thats Nowhere Men all over. It doesn't feel like youre reading just a comic book, it feels like something else entirely." Source

Miracleman by Alan Moore gives a similar feeling.

RE: The artwork. I already said this:

Is anyone else reminded of Geoff Darrow's artwork when they look at Nate's work? I love the artwork!

And I also echo the sentiment that PointFive put forth about the design of the book. It just feels like more thought is put into the entire package than many other books on the shelf right now.

I also enjoy the coloring & design of the book (like how it just dives right into the story on the inside front cover & puts indicia & credits on the back cover - well done).

And I am intrigued by this quote from ES' interview...

we all undergo changes from the day we’re born to the day we die. And our bodies continue to change once we’re no longer in them.

I wonder if we will have a character die, yet come back as something else / different (as a continued evolution)? I think this would be interesting.

Eric - do you anticipate taking 'scheduled' breaks in publishing the comic (like Revival did) after story arcs are concluded - or say every 5 or 6 issues? It just seems like there is a ton of effort and care and detail going into the book, and I know that can be difficult to maintain that quality.

Eric - do you anticipate taking 'scheduled' breaks in publishing the comic (like Revival did) after story arcs are concluded - or say every 5 or 6 issues? It just seems like there is a ton of effort and care and detail going into the book, and I know that can be difficult to maintain that quality.

Yup. Following the pattern we established with Saga, we won't be soliciting for June, then we'll have the trade out in July, then be back with issue seven at the end of August.

Looks like there will be a second t-shirt in August as well.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com