• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

im digging the FF/NWM idea

NWM = this generation's FF

I dislike the FF comparison for the simple reason that the FF has sucked as a franchise since well before I was born...... :baiting:

On the other hand, the X-franchise is one of the top three comic book properties (Spider-Man and Batman being the other two) in the world right now. Shoot for the top instead of the bottom. (thumbs u

IMHO, NWM is more like the X-Men since the characters are evolving via a "mutation" caused by a virus. This will allow Eric and Nate to continue to add new characters as more people are affected, which is closer to the mutant proliferation in the X-Men. In NWM, the mutations would have happened in a lab buried underground or underwater just as easily as in outerspace.

The 'X Franchise' is the worst thing that ever happened to Marvel. Great for the greenbacks, poor for quality comics.

Yup. Following the pattern we established with Saga, we won't be soliciting for June, then we'll have the trade out in July, then be back with issue seven at the end of August.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

:cry:

The 'X Franchise' is the worst thing that ever happened to Marvel. Great for the greenbacks, poor for quality comics.

"X-franchise," maybe, but Giant-Size X-Men 1 and Uncanny X-Men 94-200 are mostly excellent comics.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

RE: The artwork. I already said this:

Is anyone else reminded of Geoff Darrow's artwork when they look at Nate's work? I love the artwork!

I don't see a lot of similarity in their styles (although some of the DPSs have the same hyper-detail that Darrow is famous for), but Nate's process is close to Darrow's. Both guys are heavy-handed with a pencil, which makes it hard to ink over. So panels are penciled first, and then lightboxed on separate board. The resultant inks are very clean. Check out the OA if you get a chance...very nice looking stuff.

"X-franchise," maybe, but Giant-Size X-Men 1 and Uncanny X-Men 94-200 are mostly excellent comics.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Yes, indeed they are. Most of what followed wasn't though.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

+1 my friend's uncle gave him a run of those Uncanny issues when I was a kid. We read the mess out of those and I was in love.

For the most part, I would agree. There are bright spots here and there. I liked Grant Morrison's run on New X-Men, same with Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men. Currently, I've been (mostly) enjoying All-New X-Men.

With the FF, it's basically the Lee & Kirby run, then the stuff Roy Thomas, Len Wein and Marv Wolfman did with George Perez, Keith Pollard and others around FF 160-200, then Byrne's run.

Oh, and I guess there's Simonson's all-too-brief run around 350, too...

Silver age FF and Bronze age X-Men is the bulk of what I actually collect. Down to fewer than 50 issues of FF, only two left on X-Men!

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

+1 :headbang:

For the most part, I would agree. There are bright spots here and there. I liked Grant Morrison's run on New X-Men, same with Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men. Currently, I've been (mostly) enjoying All-New X-Men.

With the FF, it's basically the Lee & Kirby run, then the stuff Roy Thomas, Len Wein and Marv Wolfman did with George Perez, Keith Pollard and others around FF 160-200, then Byrne's run.

Silver age FF and Bronze age X-Men is the bulk of what I actually collect. Down to fewer than 50 issues of FF, only two left on X-Men!

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

What's THE book in your collection that gets you "giddy" ?

Fantastic Four #48 that autographed by Jack Kirby, maybe? I got a bunch of books autographed by Kirby when I met him back in the '90s, so those are all cool.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Edited by e.s.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

What no Bronze/Copper Avengers??? Sweet Byrne/Perez stuff in there. Count Nefaria was the man. :cool:

Pretty much same stuff I treasure although your FF run was before mine I start mine around 200 and go till Byrne left.

X-men you are spot on around 200 is when it all starts going downhill. Although the Mutant Massacre storyline had me waiting each month for the next issue. After that it just went downhill slowly.

Fantastic Four #48 that autographed by Jack Kirby, maybe? I got a bunch of books autographed by Kirby when I met him back in the '90s, so those are all cool.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Surfer fan... I knew there was a reason you were good peeps beyond NWM. Got a #48 myself and a nearly complete SS run. Good stuff (thumbs u

(worship)KIRBY

I don't think Nowhere men has to be compared to any other book out there past, present or future. This book can stand on its own feet.

As I have said before when I read the first issue I quickly tossed into the pile. Maybe because...simply my dumb a** didn't get it??

I gave it a second chance and re-read the series...this time I had three other books to get through...half way through book 3... I'm sold!

I tell people you don't read this book...you experience it. What I mean by that is this.....while you go through this series, one second you feel like your watching a movie, the next your watching a E True Hollywood story, then your excited to be reading a comic again...with cool characters with...dare I say superpowers!

Did that make sense to anybody? Sounded good in my head....maybe I just need to sleep more?

I am now thinking....zombies are dumb and what have I been doing with my life. This is one book I could see making a cameo on "The Big Bang Theory"

......cause it's really smart like Sheldon!

With a little shame in my heart.......I would shove down the elderly and toddlers of America to be the first to read #5.

I think a lot over looked this book....people see mini series and stay clear. After the trade comes out, people will be jumping on this book faster than the last helio out of Saigon.

Thanks to Stephenson and Bellegarde and the rest of the team who make this series happen and makes comic book day cool again.

What no Bronze/Copper Avengers??? Sweet Byrne/Perez stuff in there. Count Nefaria was the man. :cool:

That was cool stuff, but I've got them already, so no need to hunt! I think I've got a pretty solid run of Avengers from 148 or so up through 200.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com