• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

I know we are disappointed, but I really don't think this is a deliberate move to spite anyone or group. If the comics sells - to anyone - Image gets all the benefits from those primary sells. By delaying, they are shooting themselves in the foot while people wonder around, looking for the next thing ( *cough* Lazarus)... In any case, delays are a lose-lose scenario, regardless of reason.

Look at how spun around the community is.....the delays are SO OUT OF HAND that folks are starting to believe it may actually be a conspiracy to chap the speculators.

If it IS some sort of vast conspiracy, E.S. has done a bang up job and has proven he doesn't understand a lick of what it takes to make a title float.

You know who embraces the speculators and reaps the rewards: Wiebe and Barbiere.

Those are two cats that don't hate on the secondary market. In both cases those respective titles were elevated to their proper heights: PP and five ghosts.

The material IMO is good on it's own, but when it gets the speculator stink on it...folks come out of the shadows hunting down every copy in sight.

That never hurts because it propels the public's attention shortly thereafter.

Kurtis pretty much said the speculators contributed to a 'perfect storm'. And whereas Frank has been pretty quiet about the speculative interest in five ghosts...he's gotten on board with the speculator's wildest desires: ultra-rare low print runs........NOT A BAZILLION VARIANTS in every shade of the rainbow. One variant.....and some specials....like a run of 50!

Now that's how you do it every day and twice on Sundays. Those two have my utter respect and admiration. E.S. can suck a nut.

That said, I STILL believe in NWM. I just wish it wasn't written by such a starchy with unknown agendas and a literary death wish for his title.

Look at how spun around the community is.....the delays are SO OUT OF HAND that folks are starting to believe it may actually be a conspiracy to chap the speculators.

If it IS some sort of vast conspiracy, E.S. has done a bang up job and has proven he doesn't understand a lick of what it takes to make a title float.

You know who embraces the speculators and reaps the rewards: Wiebe and Barbiere.

Those are two cats that don't hate on the secondary market. In both cases those respective titles were elevated to their proper heights: PP and five ghosts.

The material IMO is good on it's own, but when it gets the speculator stink on it...folks come out of the shadows hunting down every copy in sight.

Kurtis pretty much said the speculators contributed to a 'perfect storm'. And whereas Frank has been pretty quiet about the speculative interest in five ghosts...he's gotten on board with the speculator's wildest desires: ultra-rare low print runs........NOT A BAZILLION VARIANTS in every shade of the rainbow. One variant.....and some specials....like a run of 50!

Now that's how you do it every day and twice on Sundays. Those two have my utter respect and admiration. E.S. can suck a nut.

That said, I STILL believe in NWM. I just wish it wasn't written by such a starchy with unknown agendas and a literary death wish for his title.

(worship) preach it, brother

I understand delays. I also appreciate pressure on artists to maintain a schedule.

I get that E.S. has a 'real' job being the big cheese over at Image and that this title takes a back seat to everything else he's got on his plate.

Here's what I don't understand or appreciate:

The utter lack of regard for the fans by NOT apologizing in some capacity for said delays. The lack of presence here to discuss any of the issues that relate to said delays. E.S. was here for awhile and I refuse to believe he got SO busy that it's impossible for him to pop his head in for one post or so just saying "Hey guys, we are trying our best to do right by the fans...don't worry...next issue will be along soon" or something to that effect.

This is the 21st century. Even the busiest guy/gal on the planet has the opportunity regardless of other responsibilities to pump out a few lines of text.

He had an opportunity to talk about the title at the most recent con and he basically said he didn't want to talk about it.

What kind of message is he sending to his fans except "I want to take a huge dump on you and tell you it's lunch time"?

He can be stiff and stuck up and utterly divorced from the material and I get it...but there's a common courtesy that's totally lacking. It's gone way beyond borderline unprofessional and has moved into the realm of "F-the Fans" IMO.

If it isn't that, I don't know what it is....because he's had ample opportunity to discuss the title in the media, the cons, here or even on the Image website. And if he's too busy to handle it, I'm sure he's got a bunch of quasimodo lackeys that would be able to twitter out a message of hope to the fans.

What gives?

I agree 100%, but as some said this could have also been done to spite the speculating community, but that's pretty tin foil hat.

I also agree 100%. That being said, there are multiple fans that buy more than one copy of ANY book that catches their interest in order to both boost the numbers and sustain our comic habits by selling on the secondary market. I was at the Kirkman session at Image Expo and found the "non-answer" offensive enough to remove this title from my pull list. If the numbers continue to support "future" issues then perhaps I'll buy the trades but I'm done supporting the floppies of a writer that doesn't care enough about his fans. :preach:

Where is the, "Can I get an amen brotha smiley"

I understand delays. I also appreciate pressure on artists to maintain a schedule.

I get that E.S. has a 'real' job being the big cheese over at Image and that this title takes a back seat to everything else he's got on his plate.

Here's what I don't understand or appreciate:

The utter lack of regard for the fans by NOT apologizing in some capacity for said delays. The lack of presence here to discuss any of the issues that relate to said delays. E.S. was here for awhile and I refuse to believe he got SO busy that it's impossible for him to pop his head in for one post or so just saying "Hey guys, we are trying our best to do right by the fans...don't worry...next issue will be along soon" or something to that effect.

This is the 21st century. Even the busiest guy/gal on the planet has the opportunity regardless of other responsibilities to pump out a few lines of text.

He had an opportunity to talk about the title at the most recent con and he basically said he didn't want to talk about it.

What kind of message is he sending to his fans except "I want to take a huge dump on you and tell you it's lunch time"?

He can be stiff and stuck up and utterly divorced from the material and I get it...but there's a common courtesy that's totally lacking. It's gone way beyond borderline unprofessional and has moved into the realm of "F-the Fans" IMO.

If it isn't that, I don't know what it is....because he's had ample opportunity to discuss the title in the media, the cons, here or even on the Image website. And if he's too busy to handle it, I'm sure he's got a bunch of quasimodo lackeys that would be able to twitter out a message of hope to the fans.

What gives?

I agree 100%, but as some said this could have also been done to spite the speculating community, but that's pretty tin foil hat.

I also agree 100%. That being said, there are multiple fans that buy more than one copy of ANY book that catches their interest in order to both boost the numbers and sustain our comic habits by selling on the secondary market. I was at the Kirkman session at Image Expo and found the "non-answer" offensive enough to remove this title from my pull list. If the numbers continue to support "future" issues then perhaps I'll buy the trades but I'm done supporting the floppies of a writer that doesn't care enough about his fans. :preach:

I wasn't there, but I followed the live blog and found the non-answer kind of off putting as well. I went back and tried to find the quote from the interaction between Kirkman and e.s., but I had no luck. Looks like it was scrubbed.

Here's my conspiracy theory:

If this is like many other books, Nate is probably late. We've seen Eric go to bat for his co-creator and I sincerely doubt that he's going to throw Nate under the bus. If I'm Eric, I'm probably pissed that a project that I've worked on for years is not being published because the art isn't getting done. Some fan asks about it? I'm probably mad, but I can't throw the guy who probably co-owns the project to the wolves. I need him. Rather than make excuses, which even I don't buy, or say something I'll regret, I'm just going to pass on the question. It'll make fans mad, but it's better than lying or crushing my collaborator in public (you know that this thread would have blown up if Eric called out Nate. It would have been epic).

If anything, this should put the work of capullo, adlard, Dragotta, mahnke, guillory, etc in perspective. Deadlines are tough and you have to have discipline and a great work ethic to put out 9-12 issues per year. I don't know him, but Eric Stephenson strikes me as having a great work ethic. If I had to bet, I'd guess that Eric has 3-5 issues scripted and ready to go. I've seen the guy speak. He's nothing if not prepared. This is total speculation on my part. As someone who's sold all of my nowhere men floppies, I have no horse in the race. I just hope that the book gets back on track. If that requires getting a more consistent artist on the title, so be it. Just my 2 cents.

I just wish NWM sucked so that I didnt care about all of this....but it doesnt and I do care. I think everyone in this thread still posting cares in some fashion and would continue to buy if it got back on track.

I do agree, I think as customers we should at least get a quick press release saying the book will or will not continue. That takes 30 seconds and would at least make some of us feel better.

If this is like many other books, Nate is probably late. We've seen Eric go to bat for his co-creator and I sincerely doubt that he's going to throw Nate under the bus. If I'm Eric, I'm probably pissed that a project that I've worked on for years is not being published because the art isn't getting done. Some fan asks about it? I'm probably mad, but I can't throw the guy who probably co-owns the project to the wolves. I need him. Rather than make excuses, which even I don't buy, or say something I'll regret, I'm just going to pass on the question. It'll make fans mad, but it's better than lying or crushing my collaborator in public (you know that this thread would have blown up if Eric called out Nate. It would have been epic).

If anything, this should put the work of capullo, adlard, Dragotta, mahnke, guillory, etc in perspective. Deadlines are tough and you have to have discipline and a great work ethic to put out 9-12 issues per year. I don't know him, but Eric Stephenson strikes me as having a great work ethic. If I had to bet, I'd guess that Eric has 3-5 issues scripted and ready to go. I've seen the guy speak. He's nothing if not prepared. This is total speculation on my part. As someone who's sold all of my nowhere men floppies, I have no horse in the race. I just hope that the book gets back on track. If that requires getting a more consistent artist on the title, so be it. Just my 2 cents.

Very possible and likely theory. However just a simpl "we are behind and working on it" reply would calm a lot of customers down.

Where is the, "Can I get an amen brotha smiley"

Amen-Brother.jpg

(thumbs u

From one Ryan to another.... I can buy this.

Can someone explain why, as an artist whose only job is to draw comic art, Nate has such a hard time--supposedly--turning in work on time? Is this not his only job? Maybe Nate's inability to even mail out OA that a boardie paid him good money for after a two-month delay with no explanation suggests what kind of guy we're dealing with?

I know it's not uncommon for artists to work on numerous projects big or small at one time. He could be working on other peoples books or his own. I don't know what he's working on other than NWM. He could have a job outside of drawing, I don't know. I know he's done other books in the past. Some artists draw fast some slow. I've heard of artists getting "burned out" on books before. Have some Michael

139884.jpg.683911ab18d13efa4b0b55ae8bb453c5.jpg