• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

Honestly, I hope that this series gets a new artist with experience meeting a deadline. I think that East of West is in great hands because both Hickman and Dragotta are used to Marvel deadlines and will be pushing to keep up with a 10 issues per year schedule. For all of the criticism, E.S. doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who doesn't keep up with his commitments. Hopefully, plugging in a new artist who will do what it takes to meet deadlines will help.

A great example of switching artists, then having a book really take off is The Walking Dead. Tony Moore did some amazing stuff for that series and, IMO, his art is better than Adlard's. That being said, Adlard is a machine and keeps the book coming out every month, no matter what. I think E.S. would be wise to get a workhorse on the book.

self employed is a tricky tightrope walk, been doing it for 10 years and if I didn't have to I wouldn't EVER recommend it to anyone. And i'm a procrastinator by nature so doesn't help me one bit.

Yeah I agree. I was self employed about 11 years. It started taking up my family time 7 days a week so I had to sell. I respect the fact that your still doing it. No cake walk there. If you procrastinate and still succeed you must be really good at what you do...like Wolverine lol

Honestly, I hope that this series gets a new artist with experience meeting a deadline. I think that East of West is in great hands because both Hickman and Dragotta are used to Marvel deadlines and will be pushing to keep up with a 10 issues per year schedule. For all of the criticism, E.S. doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who doesn't keep up with his commitments. Hopefully, plugging in a new artist who will do what it takes to meet deadlines will help.

A great example of switching artists, then having a book really take off is The Walking Dead. Tony Moore did some amazing stuff for that series and, IMO, his art is better than Adlard's. That being said, Adlard is a machine and keeps the book coming out every month, no matter what. I think E.S. would be wise to get a workhorse on the book.

Very good point. Morre and Adlard blended pretty well and I'm sure ES could find someone to do the same. He may be loyal and he may only own half. Hard to guess.

Katchoo......are you E.S. or Nate? :wink:

You're right tho, E.S. has no responsibilitiy to tell us anything about the delays and he's perfectly within his right to ignore the forums as well as be tight lipped at cons. He SHOULD hate speculators because we're nothing but filth that denegrate the sanctity of his beloved book (which he doesn't see fit to write with any regularity).

He SHOULD defend artists that cannot put things in the mail because of the weather and at every turn he should seem like a pretty wound up tightass because it's very becoming of a publisher of a comic book company.

Of course all that should be followed up by a tantrum about all the aforementioned things resulting in his exodus from the forums, because it's very adult-like.

How many variants do you have? lol

Got a few, but that isn't the crux of my view. I've got my bigboy pants on speculating in silver age keys. The moderns are just for z and giggles. But my commentary remains the same: silence is unprofessional. E.S. doesn't run Area 51, he's dealing with comic books...

Even at the con with Kirkman. One sentence wouldn't have been too difficult to utter. Instead he got his panties all bunched up.

Silence until there is something substantial to say is professional in my view.

The fact is, although you're saying you'd like him to say _something_, the chances are whatever he could say wouldn't be good enough because the book would still be late and that's like the apocalypse for some speculators. He probably knows that no matter what he says, people will still complain, so why bother until he has something substantial to say?

Dude, make one reply without mentioning speculators. I have one graded and one raw copy of #1 for my collection, NOT for speculating. I'm just as pissed as everybody else because this was my favorite modern title. If E.S. was/is invested in NWM, there would be some kind of reaction to the delays. If I was doing something I love, I'd be doing everything I could to put out the book on time.

No matter if "the book would still be late and that's like the apocalypse for some speculators," actual fans of the series would like some kind of reaction to at least know they're still invested in continuing the series. I'd have more respect for somebody who would come here or on the internet and say, "We're doing the best we can to get the next issue out. It will be late, but we're trying" than to have no comment whatsoever.

EDIT: accessndx beat me to it

I'm a fan and I'm not wound up about it. I don't need ES or Nate to say "We're doing the best we can..." because I already assume they are doing that. Do you think they're both sitting back with their feet up saying "Haha we have up to issue 15 finished but let's delay #6 for a few months because LOLOLOL!"?

Katchoo......are you E.S. or Nate? :wink:

You're right tho, E.S. has no responsibilitiy to tell us anything about the delays and he's perfectly within his right to ignore the forums as well as be tight lipped at cons. He SHOULD hate speculators because we're nothing but filth that denegrate the sanctity of his beloved book (which he doesn't see fit to write with any regularity).

He SHOULD defend artists that cannot put things in the mail because of the weather and at every turn he should seem like a pretty wound up tightass because it's very becoming of a publisher of a comic book company.

Of course all that should be followed up by a tantrum about all the aforementioned things resulting in his exodus from the forums, because it's very adult-like.

How many variants do you have? lol

Got a few, but that isn't the crux of my view. I've got my bigboy pants on speculating in silver age keys. The moderns are just for z and giggles. But my commentary remains the same: silence is unprofessional. E.S. doesn't run Area 51, he's dealing with comic books...

Even at the con with Kirkman. One sentence wouldn't have been too difficult to utter. Instead he got his panties all bunched up.

Silence until there is something substantial to say is professional in my view.

The fact is, although you're saying you'd like him to say _something_, the chances are whatever he could say wouldn't be good enough because the book would still be late and that's like the apocalypse for some speculators. He probably knows that no matter what he says, people will still complain, so why bother until he has something substantial to say?

Dude, make one reply without mentioning speculators. I have one graded and one raw copy of #1 for my collection, NOT for speculating. I'm just as pissed as everybody else because this was my favorite modern title. If E.S. was/is invested in NWM, there would be some kind of reaction to the delays. If I was doing something I love, I'd be doing everything I could to put out the book on time.

No matter if "the book would still be late and that's like the apocalypse for some speculators," actual fans of the series would like some kind of reaction to at least know they're still invested in continuing the series. I'd have more respect for somebody who would come here or on the internet and say, "We're doing the best we can to get the next issue out. It will be late, but we're trying" than to have no comment whatsoever.

EDIT: accessndx beat me to it

I'm a fan and I'm not wound up about it. I don't need ES or Nate to say "We're doing the best we can..." because I already assume they are doing that. Do you think they're both sitting back with their feet up saying "Haha we have up to issue 15 finished but let's delay #6 for a few months because LOLOLOL!"?

No, I don't think they have 15 issues finished. But do you think they're REALLY doing the best they can to get a single issue finished on time? The original "plan" was to have 6 (and then 7?) come out, and then the trade would be released. So essentially, they just needed to finish one or two issues, and then they would have a break to try and get a head start on the next arc.

No, I don't think they have 15 issues finished. But do you think they're REALLY doing the best they can to get a single issue finished on time? The original "plan" was to have 6 (and then 7?) come out, and then the trade would be released. So essentially, they just needed to finish one or two issues, and then they would have a break to try and get a head start on the next arc.

Yes, I do. I've no reason to think otherwise. Do you think they don't want their own book to be out in time? Do you think they are deliberately trying to get people to lose interest in their book? Do you think they don't like being paid? I mean, honestly?

And this kind of comment is one of the reasons why a post by ES saying "we're doing the best we can..." wouldn't be accepted by many of the complainers in here.

Yes, I do. I've no reason to think otherwise. Do you think they don't want their own book to be out in time? Do you think they are deliberately trying to get people to lose interest in their book? Do you think they don't like being paid? I mean, honestly?

And this kind of comment is one of the reasons why a post by ES saying "we're doing the best we can..." wouldn't be accepted by many of the complainers in here.

E.S. is making money no matter what NWM does. That's part of the complaint is that he's not invested in the comic because it's just a side project.

And if E.S. took the effort himself to say they're doing the best they can instead of opting to brush it off at a panel, then at least he's showing that he's aware of the readers and is doing his best to fix the problem. That would be enough for me. There is a big difference just telling yourself that you know they're doing their best and E.S. actually saying that they are.

Edited by chaseman210

E.S. is making money no matter what NWM does. That's part of the complaint is that he's not invested in the comic because it's just a side project.

Again, the idea that he's not invested in his own book is an assumption on your part.

And if E.S. took the effort himself to say they're doing the best they can instead of opting to brush it off at a panel, then at least he's showing that he's aware of the readers and is doing his best to fix the problem. That would be enough for me. There is a big difference just telling yourself that you know they're doing their best and E.S. actually saying that they are.

You're fooling yourself if you think you'd be happy with a "hey we're doing our best" comment. You've already made up your mind that he's not doing his best. He's just relaxing and being lazy and unprofessional and disrespecting his fans, yo. Whatever helps you justify your knickers being in a twist.

Anyway, I look forward to the next issue of Nowhere Men whenever it's out and I'm happy knowing that ES and Nate don't owe me anything :)

E.s. said NWM is "something he does on nights and weekends." Don't ask for a source Katchoo, but it's there (someone can or will post it). NWM is his side gig, but my money would be wig BeerThirty in that I bet that art is the issue. Just a guess. Whatever, I'll keep reading regardless, but it's silly that issue six will probably come out after the trade was scheduled to come out.

E.s. said NWM is "something he does on nights and weekends." Don't ask for a source Katchoo, but it's there (someone can or will post it). NWM is his side gig, but my money would be wig BeerThirty in that I bet that art is the issue. Just a guess. Whatever, I'll keep reading regardless, but it's silly that issue six will probably come out after the trade was scheduled to come out.

I'm glad that someone else buys my conspiracy theory.

One thing that I'll say is this: if there's no such thing as bad publicity, Nowhere Men sure seems to be generating a lot of posts these days even though no one tied to the project is saying anything. I don't know what that means, but I do find it interesting.

Also, in the total bragging department, landed this sweet NWM variant. No clue how many were printed. To get one requires great efforts which I am not allowed to discuss :-)

For those total fanboys out there, this is the NWM variant to get, although the only way you can get one is if it's personalized.

a9465931-302a-4736-94f1-aac4659ab9cc_zps579b44bb.jpg

Will post picks when it returns from CGC.

Also, in the total bragging department, landed this sweet NWM variant. No clue how many were printed. To get one requires great efforts which I am not allowed to discuss :-)

For those total fanboys out there, this is the NWM variant to get, although the only way you can get one is if it's personalized.

1) I completely buy into your conspiracy theory and makes sense.

2) (worship) for that variant

3) :gossip: don't want to know what "requires great efforts" means... :eek:

So that means he's not invested in his own book? Because he has a day job? Do you realise how many other creators have to spend their evenings and week ends on their book(s) too? Kurtis did until recently. I'm not sure what your point is? :foryou:

The art probably is the issue because it often is. Obviously because Nate is lazy, can't be bothered and isn't invested in his own book.

Oh dear god, don't tell Andy lol

But also... :applause:

I love NWM, late or not...I have other things going on in life, other things to read, etc.

I would rather have it late and good vs on time and sloppy.

JJ- I am still trying to get you a purple variant for your set. It may take me a while, but I'm still trying :-)