• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Thor 138

43 posts in this topic

Ugh! The scan is ugly, and besides at this small size looks better than how actually the book is. A blatant case of improper color correction. If Sulphur did his scan properly, it means they roughly corrected theirs to make the cover appear whiter than it is… :P

Well, color correction aside, did you notice how SMALL the scan was? Also, they only provided a scan of the front cover! doh!

I've never done business with SNE, but I always insist on seeing LARGE scans of the front AND back covers if I'm buying a comic book on eBay. After all, what else can I base my buying decision on?

Not a shamless plug for my auctions lol , but my scans are as big as the ones I post on the forum here. At least buyers can make an informed bidding/buying decision by seeing as much detail of the front and back covers albeit virtually.

In any event, Sulphur has a nice book. It's a classic Kirby. I have quite a few of these Thor Kirby books myself, and I can appreciate the art. (thumbs u

In any event, Sulphur has a nice book. It's a classic Kirby. I have quite a few of these Thor Kirby books myself, and I can appreciate the art. (thumbs u

No one’s questioning that. (thumbs u

I just suggested that the fact is a renowned seller does not seem a warrant of accurate grading, in this case. As you say, he could have at least provided bigger scans, and maybe additional photos would have been even better.

i see they still have thousands of modern/coppers 9.8 slabs left..3 years later and 13k plus slabs are still not sold out?...what a shocker.

for the noobs, there were plenty of discussion on here when this news was released.

http://www.cgccomics.com/news/enews/2009/November/article9.asp

they sold plenty but how many must they sold to turn a profit? many of these slabs sat there for years at $50 or less....but hey, if SNE is still around, they must do well enough.

lol

Wow, what a discussion. And all over my lil' ol' book.

If there's a way to adjust my scanner, I haven't figured it out yet. I can tone down the colors once the image is taken, but that wouldn't be accurate either. I agree the contrast seems high. Maybe I just need a better scanner hm

I didn't think it was an 8.0 when I bought it, and even now I still feel confident it's 7.0 (I have the advantage of seeing it hand, of course). I never entertained the thought of slabbing this, it's going to be my reader.

To sum it up, it's an impulse buy. And at $33 I'm ok with it.

lol

Wow, what a discussion. And all over my lil' ol' book.

If there's a way to adjust my scanner, I haven't figured it out yet. I can tone down the colors once the image is taken, but that wouldn't be accurate either. I agree the contrast seems high. Maybe I just need a better scanner hm

I didn't think it was an 8.0 when I bought it, and even now I still feel confident it's 7.0 (I have the advantage of seeing it hand, of course). I never entertained the thought of slabbing this, it's going to be my reader.

To sum it up, it's an impulse buy. And at $33 I'm ok with it.

I know. lol

What started out to be a discussion on your Thor 138 book morphed into a discussion about Showcase New England. :blahblah: Sorry about that!

Anyway, I'm glad you got SNE to reduce the winning bid by more than 50% to $33.00!

That's an abosolute BARGAIN IMO for a book like this, and we've all done impulse buying on eBay before! (thumbs u

GREAT score!

??? ??? ??? I'm not sure where you got the screen shot from, but I was either the 2nd or the sole bidder at $33.52 ??? ??? ???

Trust me, I would NOT NOT NOT have paid $74+ for this. I do remember there were 2 being sold when I bid, so I wouldn't be shocked if I got the less appealing one.

I was wondering why you were questioning my judgement in buying this. I was starting to think I paid too much, when even guide at 7.0 is more than I paid 23_30_1201.gif

??? ??? ??? I'm not sure where you got the screen shot from, but I was either the 2nd or the sole bidder at $33.52 ??? ??? ???

Trust me, I would NOT NOT NOT have paid $74+ for this. I do remember there were 2 being sold when I bid, so I wouldn't be shocked if I got the less appealing one.

I was wondering why you were questioning my judgement in buying this. I was starting to think I paid too much, when even guide at 7.0 is more than I paid 23_30_1201.gif

Don't mind me, Sulphur.

I just could've sworn that that Thor 138 SNE sold for $74+ was the same one as you posted. My eyes are bad! If you compare their scan in that auction listing and with the front cover scan you posted in this thread, perhaps it was an optical illusion? No matter. I'm glad you got a bargain.

Never going to question your judgement, friend. I apologize if I put you off with my posts. I sometimes do that. It must be my inner MODOK! Hahahaha! lol

P.S. Thanks or your eBay business tonight (Sunday 7th!) (thumbs u

I will be shipping your 4 books out in less than 24 hours!

Nothing yet.

:baiting:

Cap 156 (A favorite from my youth- Good Cap whoops arse on Bad Cap).

FF 71

Avengers 98 (upgrade)

SS 3 (been wanting this forever).

The SS 3 had quite a few bids on it, I was going to give it a poke, see what happened but I decided the same. I saw too many neat things tempted me at the LCS today.

I got the Thor 151 I wanted :applause:

Your package containing your Thor 151 is on it's way to you!

music-082.gif

GlenJohnston-4.jpg

Thanks again, and I hope you check out more of my auctions!

you-rock.gif