• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Thor 138

43 posts in this topic

Hello Sulphur! :hi:

Based on grades I've seen on other books from many of the experts here, I will have to say this particular copy looks like a 7.0 tops to me.

Showcase New England assigned this a grade of VF 8.0 so perhaps they see something we don't?

They are a senior advisor to Overstreet, won CBG's customer service award for seven consecutive years, and have sat on several of the prestigious Sotheby's and Christie's grading committees.

Who am I to question their grading? I'm just a lowly newbie, so I don't know squat about grading. Still, I would be very interested to see their grading notes on this one.

Let's get some more opinions on this book.

Hello Sulphur! :hi:S'up

Showcase New England assigned this a grade of VF 8.0 so perhaps they see something we don't?

Sure they did. They saw $ signs lol kidding.

You recognize the book?

Yup. Saw the listing up on eBay. SherlockHolmesSmiley.gif

If the grade holds up as SNE represents it as a VF 8.0, I think you got a good deal. I really like the action on the Thor 138 cover. Kirby really was hitting his stride with this one! :cloud9:

I see SNE only provided a scan of the front cover in the auction. Didn't even include the back cover. Not sure why they did that nor why they used such a small size scan. notsure.gif

On all my auctions, I make sure there are scans of the front and back covers. Also, I try to make the scans as large as possible so any prospective buyer can have a close examination albeit in a virtual sense. detective.gif

It's possible they didn't hold the top edge against the grade. :shrug:

Hard to believe SNE would miss that, don't you think? (shrug)

After all, they are a senior advisor to Overstreet, won CBG's customer service award for seven consecutive years, and have sat on several of the prestigious Sotheby's and Christie's grading committees.

:popcorn:

Hard to believe SNE would miss that, don't you think? (shrug)

After all, they are a senior advisor to Overstreet, won CBG's customer service award for seven consecutive years, and have sat on several of the prestigious Sotheby's and Christie's grading committees.

:popcorn:

Not to disappoint our awesome pal Sulphur :hi: but I rely on my eyes as well. I would not buy a VF which appears like that. But then, again, you won’t see me taking a gamble in buying books declared over 9.0-9.2, I don’t take the risk of "perfect mintness" unless of course I can see the book. :)

But then, again, Sulphur how are you doing the scans? The Tarzans looked almost overexposed, while this may appear darker than how actually is? Do you apply some kind of automatic correction? Usually I don’t, I try to apply moderate manual correction to represent the book color as actually is.

Not to disappoint our awesome pal Sulphur :hi: but I rely on my eyes as well. I would not buy a VF which appears like that. But then, again, you won’t see me taking a gamble in buying books declared over 9.0-9.2, I don’t take the risk of "perfect mintness" unless of course I can see the book. :)

In fairness to Sulphur, he really didn't have a decent scan to look at with this book. detective.gif

I think, and he can correct me if I'm wrong, that it this purchase had alot to do with the reputation of Showcase New England. They are indeed well known in the comic book collecting world, so perhaps that factor played into it? hm

You mean the Thor scan may be the original image from the Showcase New England? (BTW I do not know them as eBay sellers: which is their ID?).

Would be no surprise, can’t imagine how many times I have been surprised (both for the good & the bad) after receiving a book, which in hand looked pretty different from the scan. hm

You mean the Thor scan may be the original image from the Showcase New England? (BTW I do not know them as eBay sellers: which is their ID?).

Would be no surprise, can’t imagine how many times I have been surprised (both for the good & the bad) after receiving a book, which in hand looked pretty different from the scan. hm

No, the scans Sulphur posted are HIS scans he made. Not SNE!

Here is the actual eBay auction featuring the Thor 138 Sulphur bought from Showcase New England.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/360406436721

Please take a look and comment on it. I would be interested in your analysis.

I really don't think Sulphur had a decent look at this book from the auction listing IMO. They only provided a small scan of the front cover. Even when utilizing the enlargement function on the photo, it remains the same size. :(

We all know our friend Sulphur has exceptionally sharp trained eyes for grading, so that's why I postulated that theory in my previous post.

Sulphur can chime in and correct me.

I still think it's a great book and showcases (no pun intended) some vinatge Kirby art that kicks royal arse! :cloud9:

Ugh! The scan is ugly, and besides at this small size looks better than how actually the book is. A blatant case of improper color correction. If Sulphur did his scan properly, it means they roughly corrected theirs to make the cover appear whiter than it is… :P