• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Amazing Spider-Man 123

30 posts in this topic

Hi again everyone! :hi:

Here's another book I will be putting up on eBay in the next week or so.

Awesome cover and interior artwork by a couple my favorite Marvel artists of all the time, the late great Gil Kane and JAZZY John Romita, Sr.!

Z-GilKane-a.jpgZ-JohnRomitaSr-a.jpg

Any grades would be appreciated!

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 123

Test2.jpg

Test2a.jpg

Test2b.jpg

Test2c.jpg

Nice. PQ is lousy on the top edge, so I wouldn’t venture over beyond a VF+ 8.5, sounds good.

It's pretty safe to say you have a pronounced PQ fetish. :D

I'm not sure how much weight CGC would assign to the subpar PQ in torpedoing the overall grade of this book.

In any event, thanks for your grade. Hopefully, some of the others will chime in.

It's pretty safe to say you have a pronounced PQ fetish. :D

No, it’s just that paper degrades quickly when PQ lowers below a certain level. I have experienced this collecting golden age books. I don’t like tanning as well, but it’s also an objective problem. :)

assuming the top back cover is just dirt and no crease or tear.

i can see at 9.4 (if it is a tear then, I think 9.0 at best) with cream to ow PQ, more like cream to white PQ but I am not sure I have ever seen a slab with cream to white PQ.

assuming the top back cover is just dirt and no crease or tear.

i can see at 9.4 (if it is a tear then, I think 9.0 at best) with cream to ow PQ, more like cream to white PQ but I am not sure I have ever seen a slab with cream to white PQ.

Yup. Back cover top is just dirt. No tear.

I will be listing this up on eBay as NM.

Thanks for your astute look at my book and grade, my friend. You're the best! (thumbs u

I remain of my opinion, but yes it can be a NM- 9.0, but I can’t see it being above that. Corners do not look perfectly sharp and… etanick, maybe it’s just the picture but I though cream wasn’t so dark: as you say it’s a weird book, top insides are pretty dark, bottom ones look almost white! :o

cream can go real dark. as with white, many shades...thus not all cream to ow are even remotely close (per my example in the journal)

thus my preaching for quite sometimes now, that unless you buy a book raw and can see the interior, the label description of the PQ is a blind faith for those that want particular PQ.

Check out book #7 in my old contest

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5883864&fpart=1

and compared to the other 2 cream to ow examples in my journal and you can see how crazy cream to ow can be.

I see. What did the contest was about, precisely (sorry I have not read in full)?

Looked pretty complicate, at least to me… hm

grade 30 books and guess the PQ. I sub those books a few months back and asked everyone to submit all the guesses before the books were graded. Only a dozen people participated so I won't be wasting my time doing anymore contests.

nah...that thread was bumped to be on the first page for weeks and months (5 months). There were thousands of views so there were plenty of time for people to participate so whatever the reasons were, don't really matter but it was a good learning experiences I hope for those that participated.

It looks like there is a little wear on the top right side of the cover. It is also visible from the back cover so i'd have to go with VF/NM tops.

I cropped and zoomed in on what you targeted.

Test2d.jpg

Test2e.jpg

Thanks for your grade guess from the photos. I know it's not easy to do.

I start off my eBay auctions at $15.99, so some lucky person will take a chance and snare this baby for a low price. (thumbs u

Of course it‘s an awesome book, which doesn’t get the deserved attention just because it follows two big "key" issues and precedes other two (the Man Wolf storyline), but it’s just cool that Norman Osborne’s death spreads into this issue, and artwork is sublime. Romita inking Kane is an awesome comibination, I realized it re-browsing #124 and #125 which I recently purchased.

Sooner or later I’ll have to fill the #123 hole, maybe. I was just trying to stay the most focused as possible, as I do not collect on a "title" basis, but – hey – after all this issue is part of a larger storyline.

Advertising section

Guys what are you waiting? Be on the lookout for MODOK's auctions! :D

/end of Advertising section

Hey MODOK :hi:

What a drag about that tanning. Perhaps the photo's exaggerate it a bit, but I don't think I've seen a tanning pattern quite like that.

Without it I think this is an easy 9.0-9.2 at least, but with it... (shrug) 8.5? I think it really depends on how it presents in hand.

How's the scanner hunt going?

Hey MODOK :hi:

What a drag about that tanning. Perhaps the photo's exaggerate it a bit, but I don't think I've seen a tanning pattern quite like that.

Without it I think this is an easy 9.0-9.2 at least, but with it... (shrug) 8.5? I think it really depends on how it presents in hand.

How's the scanner hunt going?

Hi Sulphur! :hi:

Tanning in the ASM 123 is not as bad as the photos indicate. It presents very well in hand.

Yes, I really need to break down and get a damn scanner because photos tend to present a skewed look sometimes. I'm procrastinating to the bitter end. :P

Anyway, hope to see you later tonight at eBay! ;)