• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Precode Horror List? Also Atom Age Folder?

11 posts in this topic

I have decided to try a "simple" collection for precode horror. One copy of every precode horror title. By this I do not mean every issue but just one copy of, say, Journey Into Mystery and one copy of Hands Of Fate, etc.

To this end, does anyone know of a list out there? I can go through my Gerber’s and try compiling myself - actually it would be fun, but a good starting point would come in handy. I used to have this kind of information in the 80's but for a time I stopped collecting (I even sold 4 long boxes of precode horror - HORRORS!!!) and am now trying to re-establish my collection. But I think getting one copy of every title would be a nice way to really get back into it.

Thanks in advance.

PS - should we have an Atom Age Folder? I know I just got here today but the lack of an Atom Age specific folder is sorely felt. :-)

I imagine that trying to compile a list(much less accumulate a collection) of these books would be a daunting task, as so many were published during the horror boom. But I'm sure it's been attempted; someone like Pat Calhoun of CBM has probably attempted to catalogue all of the different horror books from the Pre-Code years.

I don't know of any 'master' lists but I do know of several people who have made attempts at compiling smaller lists. One such site is the Timely/Atlas gallery run by Blake Bell:

http://www.timely-atlas.comics.org/

Another great source is the Grand Comics Database. Your best bet here would be to use the advanced search and select a range of years, say 1948 to 1954. From there you should be able to scan the list of titles and come up with a good approximation of pre-code horror titles. Good luck!

http://www.comics.org

With respect to having an Atom Age folder, I don't think that it is needed. You can always post in the general section. Also, you get better views and response in the general section. laugh.gif

I have decided to try a "simple" collection for precode horror. One copy of every precode horror title. By this I do not mean every issue but just one copy of, say, Journey Into Mystery and one copy of Hands Of Fate, etc.

Pardon me for 1) responding to myself and 2) opening up an old topic but. I just received all 11 issues of Tales Too Terrible To Tell (less #9 which is temporarily oop but being reprinted) from New England Comics. Luckily, in the first 3 issues is a complete breakdown of every publisher and every horror title and number range from 1/57 through 3/55.

Seems there are 28 companies, 119 Titles and 1450 books in all. So it sounds like my collection is going to consist of 119 titles. Obviously I will start expanding from there but it sounds pretty exciting to try tracking down one representative issue of all 119 titles. I know a few are going to be difficult.

PS - I will be putting the info in an excel spreadsheet. PM me if you want it or a plain text file.

TALES TOO TERRIBLE...is a great book, Pov. And just in time for Halloween.

I plan on reading as many horror comics as I can for the whole month of October; on Halloween itself I will read DONALD DUCK #26(Barks Halloween story) and SHOCK SUSPENSE #9(adaptation of Bradbury's THE AUTUMN PEOPLE).

Howdy - where did you find all 11 issues?

Go to their web site at http://www.newenglandcomics.com/

Once there choose THE TICK CATALOG (from Quick Links pull down or from the left side of the page.)

Near the bottom right you will see a link called TALES TOO TERRIBLE. That's the place. Browse a little too. They have some other interesting "comics" like MY TERRIBLE ROMANCE, EXTINCT etc that deal with the pre-code and GA worlds.

PS - will PM you when I have the list finished.