• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM New Mutants 98

13 posts in this topic

Front.jpg

2012-10-09_20-38-28_631.jpg

2012-10-09_20-38-53_859.jpg

2012-10-09_20-38-43_443.jpg

2012-10-09_20-24-01_52.jpg

2012-10-09_20-24-11_978.jpg

2012-10-09_20-24-28_893.jpg

2012-10-09_20-24-43_614.jpg

2012-10-09_20-23-35_647.jpg

2012-10-09_20-29-23_398.jpg

What do you guys think? It's not totally flat on the front. There is an indent from the top down so I don't know if that's what a spine roll is or not. There is also a tiny spine crease dent(no color break yet) right where the shinny part is. Other than that I think the corners are in excellent shape. Color gloss is still there, and no other spine crease(front or back) as far as I can tell. Should I consider pressing for the dent/semi spine roll and crease dent if I ever decide to have the book graded?

BTW, the bottom left corner is very clean with just a tiny worn(white) spot. Some photos show the white spot and corner appear to be larger and less clean cut than they really are.

A 9.6 min and shot at a 9.8. Might wanna squish it to get to the 9.8.

Very nice! (thumbs u

I'll be one happy guy if this one comes anywhere near 9.6. Personally the indent drives me nut!

isn't that dent called a readers crease? and dont cgc hammer them?

I am pretty sure it is not a reader’s crease. The book is too nice to have been bent and read like that. Plus when you bent a book like that it won't stay down flat. This one does(except with an indent). I am guessing that it was either shipped with an indent from packaging or that it was at the bottom of a stack of books.

Colour breaking spine tick on the back by "M-16s"?

I did not notice any spine crease on the back, but I see what you are looking at. I will double check it again when I get home later today.

Thanks for all the input everyone. :)

I was being unassuming in my post so as to be polite. IMO that is a reader's crease. You can see when you have the book open that it aligns with the sharpest part of the curve of the FC.

I appreciate the input and not saying that you are not correct. I did not purchased this from the stand when it came out back in 1991 so I can't say that it wasn't read that way, but from past experience I just never seen a book read that way and the cover does not fluff up along with a few front pages. This book lays extremely flat with the indent stopped after 1 or 2 pages in. Furthermore I recognized this type of indent and how a book can get it. A while back I didn't know any better so I would put books run(individually bagged and board) together tightly secured in a folder. When I checked on them recently most of them have the same type of indent where the spine is just a tad thicker than right beside it. I also have seen newly distributed box being open where the top books get the same type of indent from being pressed down by the packaging. Regardless I agree that it does detract from the book total grade. I am just hoping that pressing might be able to undone the defect.

that indent can be the result of storage instead of "reading"

hard to grade based on the pics given. I think a press can get this book close to 9.6 but really is just a wag. This book is tough to grade without clear scans because the arts on the back cover can easily be mistaken with creases.

As etanick said, it’s very likely how the book was stacked. Luckily, it’s the only "damage" it got, if you want to call it damage. From what I have seen pressing could fix such a thing, if it's not color-breaking.

Now don’t get me started on the content… :eyeroll: More or less the reason I stopped buying the New Mutants… lol It’s one of the few issues I miss from my complete run. How I hated Liefeld back then… :P

I was being unassuming in my post so as to be polite. IMO that is a reader's crease. You can see when you have the book open that it aligns with the sharpest part of the curve of the FC.

I appreciate the input and not saying that you are not correct. I did not purchased this from the stand when it came out back in 1991 so I can't say that it wasn't read that way, but from past experience I just never seen a book read that way and the cover does not fluff up along with a few front pages. This book lays extremely flat with the indent stopped after 1 or 2 pages in. Furthermore I recognized this type of indent and how a book can get it. A while back I didn't know any better so I would put books run(individually bagged and board) together tightly secured in a folder. When I checked on them recently most of them have the same type of indent where the spine is just a tad thicker than right beside it. I also have seen newly distributed box being open where the top books get the same type of indent from being pressed down by the packaging. Regardless I agree that it does detract from the book total grade. I am just hoping that pressing might be able to undone the defect.

You have convinced me.

As etanick said, it’s very likely how the book was stacked. Luckily, it’s the only "damage" it got, if you want to call it damage. From what I have seen pressing could fix such a thing, if it's not color-breaking.

Now don’t get me started on the content… :eyeroll: More or less the reason I stopped buying the New Mutants… lol It’s one of the few issues I miss from my complete run. How I hated Liefeld back then… :P

Do you still hate him now? Lots of people on the boards have bad things to say about him.

Colour breaking spine tick on the back by "M-16s"?

Ok I checked and my heart sank. No it was not a spine tick. The good new is there is no spine tick anywhere to be found, but what I found was that at the bottom staple there is a tiny tear of about -- long right inside the staple. The tear is very thin and that was why I did not noticed it on the initial inspection. So what would a tear like that do to the grade?