• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

J. Scott Campbell and Spiderman - Why hasn't his happened yet?

9 posts in this topic

I know this has been disussed before, but I'm relatively new to Mr. Campbell's art and am wondering why he's not the regular artist on Spiderman. While he is famous for how he draws women (MJ in particular, issue 603), his Spiderman sketches are awesome. For me, he's the best at Spidey since Mcfarlane.

At some point (at least according to WP) he had a contract pending for just such an undertaking. What happened? I know all about the supposed issues with his "work ethic" among other things, but doesn't anybody have any other information to explain this?

Anyway, here's a few examples of his spidey-art:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkAAwoLxD-flY7RXRI8WMwFy20IQI8AmOc1HNnX1NlPn9XIahRUPLZohy8uAspidey-campbell-time-layouts.jpgcampbell74.jpgCampbellPSMSpidey.jpgJ__Scott_Campbell_Spiderman_by_oshawainker.jpgcampbell73.jpgcampbell72.jpgcampbell75.jpgcampbell120.jpg

_AMAZING_SPIDER-MAN_52_J._Scott_Campbell.jpgamazingspiderman50.jpg

That's too bad. I like his covers, don't get me wrong, but he could do so much beter in a monthly Spiderman book. I wonder if that really is the reason? It's not like Marvel even gave him a try (that I know of). I suppose he turned it down due to the potential pressure, but still....

I guess I've just discovered him too many issues away from his peak popularity (with #700 looming). BTW, What is he doing these days?

That's too bad. I like his covers, don't get me wrong, but he could do so much beter in a monthly Spiderman book. I wonder if that really is the reason? It's not like Marvel even gave him a try (that I know of). I suppose he turned it down due to the potential pressure, but still....

I guess I've just discovered him too many issues away from his peak popularity (with #700 looming). BTW, What is he doing these days?

Covers... Shows... Web Site Sales... New Danger Girl Series (just some of the covers)...

He's barely doing sketches at cons now too. I heard he would do one or two per show. His sig line is too long for him to ignore. At SDCC and Comikaze, his line is always at least 15 people deep. Other than Tony Moore, JSC is the only artist I've seen lately that gets provided those kids holding a END OF LINE sign or volunteers directing line traffic.

He's barely doing sketches at cons now too. I heard he would do one or two per show. His sig line is too long for him to ignore. At SDCC and Comikaze, his line is always at least 15 people deep. Other than Tony Moore, JSC is the only artist I've seen lately that gets provided those kids holding a END OF LINE sign or volunteers directing line traffic.

Last NYCC, JSC only did two sketches. :(

From what MSchmidt posted, he isn't even in Artist Alley this year but set up as a retailer.