• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Goon Movie Kickstarter

40 posts in this topic

I'm sure there is an obvious answer (unfortunately, I didn't see it in the FAQ on the Kickstarter site) - if I make a pledge and the project doesn't meet it's funding goal, what happens to my pledge? Do I get it back? Do they blow it on beer and devise other Kickstarter beer fund ideas?

You are never charged until the project is over and if it's not at its goal you aren't charged. It will forever show in you profile as a project that was unsuccessfully funded. Backed a couple that didn't make it.

Ahhh. Nice - thank you. I'm a little surprised they don't really advise people to how that works - at least, in an obvious way that newcomers understand how the process for actually giving money works.

http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/kickstarter%20basics?ref=nav

I know they should make it a lot clearer. It should totally be the first entry on the Kickstarter Basics page. People can hardly be expected to read 2 items before plopping down their funds.

Can Kickstarter refund the money if a project is unable to fulfill?

No. Kickstarter doesn't issue refunds as transactions are between backers and creators, and creators receive all funds (after fees) soon after their campaign ends. Creators have the ability to refund backers through Amazon Payments (for US projects) and Kickstarter (for UK projects).

:/

Not exactly an iron-clad refund policy or method.

I talked to Eric Powell at SDCC about this film. He told me it was simply a matter of money and he wanted the film to be done right. So instead of hopping on the money wagon with a deep pockets studio, he decided he'd rather raise the money himself and retain complete control.

I'm sure there is an obvious answer (unfortunately, I didn't see it in the FAQ on the Kickstarter site) - if I make a pledge and the project doesn't meet it's funding goal, what happens to my pledge? Do I get it back? Do they blow it on beer and devise other Kickstarter beer fund ideas?

You are never charged until the project is over and if it's not at its goal you aren't charged. It will forever show in you profile as a project that was unsuccessfully funded. Backed a couple that didn't make it.

Ahhh. Nice - thank you. I'm a little surprised they don't really advise people to how that works - at least, in an obvious way that newcomers understand how the process for actually giving money works.

I know they should make it a lot clearer. It should totally be the first entry on the Kickstarter Basics page. People can hardly be expected to read 2 items before plopping down their funds.

No. Kickstarter doesn't issue refunds as transactions are between backers and creators, and creators receive all funds (after fees) soon after their campaign ends. Creators have the ability to refund backers through Amazon Payments (for US projects) and Kickstarter (for UK projects).

Yeah. I understand the concept - however, the more I am reading on Kickstarter, I have to question people who "invest" in this fashion. Someone mentioned it earlier - why invest in a project when there is no return on it's success?

Do people really have $10,000 to blow on things like a private screening and lunch with producers? If so, then I really picked the wrong career field. :(

Yeah. I understand the concept - however, the more I am reading on Kickstarter, I have to question people who "invest" in this fashion. Someone mentioned it earlier - why invest in a project when there is no return on it's success?

Do people really have $10,000 to blow on things like a private screening and lunch with producers? If so, then I really picked the wrong career field. :(

Yeah, that was me.

I might be persuaded to shell out a nominal fee for a t-shirt or something, but anything more and I'd want to be treated like an investor and share in the profits.

True, it can be daunting and seem rather sketchy, but the same could be said for buying in eBay without PayPal, or a non major online retailer, or even here in the sales threads. The last real safety net is doing a charge back with your credit card if the delivery time frame comes and nothing has arrived.

There is my unneeded defense of KS. I've backed about 30 projects and never have had one get iffy, have seen projects what have ended 10-20 times their goal see huge delays because they can't get things manufactured quickly enough.

I've never really understood the really big dollar pledges either. It's so much, and rarely do they ever seem worth it. I've seen some projects offer dealer packages for the high amounts and they tend to be quite a bargain if you could sell the item. I, myself and a sucker for getting into something. Every time I play FTL and I see me as a crew member I chuckle.

I know someone who pledged for a project and go some exclusive variant covers for his pledge - which makes sense. If you can give up some cash, but you get something back that gives you the opportunity to recoup that investment - that is the smart way to do a kickstarter.

I don't think I'd be interested in donating to someone else's project unless I had a way of offsetting or getting back my investment. Anything otherwise is more like charity.

Exclusive variants, sounds like the GFT project.

I've never really considered trying to make a profit off my 'investment' before. I tend to stick to rather small potatoes sums (<$50) and only if I perceive value in what I get. Things like an artist is doing a limited print run to come up with cash to stock up their online store and I can get a stellar print for half price and the warm fuzzy feeling that I helped out a fledgling small business.

If they can create a stupid movie like Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies

I am sure this would do way better, waaaaay better!

It's not going so good though... :gossip:

Only halfway through and less than 11 days to go.

I must be the only person to think the Goon is utter Turd.

I threw #3 in the bin.

Couldn't finish it.

Sorry and all that.

yup, way back in the dot.com craze of 1999-2000, I actually founded a start up that was similar to this kickstart concept. The big difference of course is ownership for each investor. If you put in a $1000 and the budget was $100k, you would own 1% of the profit forever. I thought it was a great idea because

a) the site would be a perfect place for newcomers to pitch their ideas/concepts

b) investors can invest

c) new talents can virtual cast, work for cheap, post a video....the birth of youtube self promotion kind of way.

d) creators can show their movies right on our site via on demand and bypass all distribution channels if they want to go that route.

...but it wasn't meant to be....I called it TheGuilds.com :tonofbricks:

yup, way back in the dot.com craze of 1999-2000, I actually founded a start up that was similar to this kickstart concept. The big difference of course is ownership for each investor. If you put in a $1000 and the budget was $100k, you would own 1% of the profit forever. I thought it was a great idea because

a) the site would be a perfect place for newcomers to pitch their ideas/concepts

b) investors can invest

c) new talents can virtual cast, work for cheap, post a video....the birth of youtube self promotion kind of way.

d) creators can show their movies right on our site via on demand and bypass all distribution channels if they want to go that route.

...but it wasn't meant to be....I called it TheGuilds.com :tonofbricks:

I believe micro-investments like you're describing here are technically illegal, or only open to accredited investors. That's why there hasn't been a site like you describe, even though it's a wonderful idea.