• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Value of the Buy-It-Now

23 posts in this topic

Just wanted to sing the praises of the "Buy-It-Now" feature on eBay after my recent round of auctions. Normally, I do very well with BINs, with those wonderful impulse buys accounting for 50% of sales when I have set price CGC books up for auction. This time around, I had 13 high grade auctions up, seven sold, and six of those were BINs. And the extra dough from the slightly-higher-then-starting-price BINs paid for all the related eBay & Paypal fees (including the listing prices for those books that didn't sell), with a quite a bit left over.

What a great feature. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Anyone else do well (buying or selling) with BINs recently?

I don't think anybody here has done as well all year as you have over the last few weeks on the BUYING end of BINs... thumbsup2.gif

While not a BIN story, here's an interesting one taken from an eBay auction;

"I purchased a box of CGC items at a garage sale of all places! There was about 20-30 Amazing Spider-man comics in total! A lot of the cases are damaged, which is why I think the mother of the kid was selling them. From what I can see, the damage consists of scratches and some have cracks, but they are still sealed. One or two of them look like someone tried to repair the cracks? Its difficult to tell since I am not an expert on CGC cases.This case has a crack on two of the corners but they are only about 3/4" on either of them. The rest of the case has a few scratches on the front and back but nothing that obstructs the view of the comic."

Bet the kid is pissed.

Brian

I haven't checked eBay for awhile, but I too popped one of your BIN's a few months back (FF#84). I had no problem hitting it either. As long as you have the BIN set relatively close to FMV, you always have a good chance of someone that really wants a book hitting it.

I haven't checked eBay for awhile, but I too popped one of your BIN's a few months back (FF#84). I had no problem hitting it either. As long as you have the BIN set relatively close to FMV, you always have a good chance of someone that really wants a book hitting it.

Very true, though I often set the BIN at a little higher then what I feel is market price, to test the waters. I'm still left stunned sometimes when I check GPAnalysis and see the high price for a particular book in a particular grade was from one of my books sold through a BIN. 893whatthe.gif

Very true, though I often set the BIN at a little higher then what I feel is market price, to test the waters. I'm still left stunned sometimes when I check GPAnalysis and see the high price for a particular book in a particular grade was from one of my books sold through a BIN.

Always a good feeling. Of course, I like to look at GPA and still see that the copy I bought is the LOWEST sale price. Also a good feeling.

grin.gif

I have been on both ends of a BIN auction.

Sold a few items as a seller with a FMV BIN price .

And made many BIN buys on auctions that were newly listed, from sellers who also set the BIN price below FMV.(one of my fav ways to search Ebay)

On the flip side.. has anyone ever seen a BIN auction.. thought it was priced a bit too steep.. so you place a bid to remove the BIN as an option.. and wait to see at auction's end, it sold for well above the original BIN price? foreheadslap.gif

Ya just never know..

Z

On the flip side.. has anyone ever seen a BIN auction.. thought it was priced a bit too steep.. so you place a bid to remove the BIN as an option.. and wait to see at auction's end, it sold for well above the original BIN price?

I had one that sold in this type of scenario...though it was only about $40 above the BIN. Still, it worked for me. thumbsup2.gif

On the flip side.. has anyone ever seen a BIN auction.. thought it was priced a bit too steep.. so you place a bid to remove the BIN as an option.. and wait to see at auction's end, it sold for well above the original BIN price? foreheadslap.gif

Ya just never know..

Z

How's this - a nice Norm Breyfogle splash from Tec 609 comes up - first pager too. The opening bid was $150 and the BIN was $225 . I email the seller and ask him if I hit the BIN will he ship for free. I didn't hear from him for 12+ hours so I hit the opening bid. He writes me back and says I would have done it for $5 for shipping (he wanted $12 which is just ridiculous for art IMO). I emailed him that I was the one who hit the bid but he kept it on ebay. Good for him, the damn thing went for over $450!!!! DOUBLE the BIN! I am still kicking myself to this day.

I'm sadly the king of bonehead ebay moves - either not hitting a bid or having a snipe that was too low . . . what can you do, huh?

DAM

I'm sadly the king of bonehead ebay moves - either not hitting a bid or having a snipe that was too low . . . what can you do, huh?

DAM

No No No 893naughty-thumb.gif

That title is all mine... foreheadslap.gif

When I have time..I will have to pick from the multitudes of bonehead Ebay blunders I have made over the past 4 years.. to prove to you .

acclaim.gifI am the King of the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons on EBAY acclaim.gif

Z

So, does anyone around here think that when you hit a low BN on a rare item, and the more people using GP, that you are lowering the value of your comic?

ie: Someone sells a 9.6 copy of AS #1, the BIN is $50,000. does that now show all other buyers of this title that it is WORTH ONLY $50,000?

There have been some rare times when I've searched for BIN auctions on ebay and actually found scheduled auctions prior to their starting times. You can't open them yet, just see the titles and BIN price. Usually these auctions are set to go off within the next fifteen minutes or half hour. It's like being at the fountainhead or something. The only problem is I've never seen one that was a terrific deal worth waiting for it to begin and hoping to snag it before someone else.

I have gotten a few freshly listed BINs, but never one that I waited those few minutes for it to begin. But I keep looking!

When I run auction I will usually do a few with BIN. If you don't get crazy and try to gouge the hell out of people they usually pay for themselves plus some. What I do I come up with a number I'm happy with getting for a particular book. Then I add a little to that and this becomes my BIN. Example: I had FN copies of Cap 110, 111 and 113 that I only had a/b $5 each in. I listed them individually with a BIN of $15 each -- they all sold to the same bidder within 5 minutes of the auctions opening. They may or may not have reached $15 each -- who knows. But the buyer got the books he wanted and I tripled my money. Everyone was happy all the way around.

There's pretty much a story like this on every batch of books I list.

Just wanted to sing the praises of the "Buy-It-Now" feature on eBay after my recent round of auctions. Normally, I do very well with BINs, with those wonderful impulse buys accounting for 50% of sales when I have set price CGC books up for auction. This time around, I had 13 high grade auctions up, seven sold, and six of those were BINs. And the extra dough from the slightly-higher-then-starting-price BINs paid for all the related eBay & Paypal fees (including the listing prices for those books that didn't sell), with a quite a bit left over.

What a great feature. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yes, someone hit the BIN on my Showcase #55 yesterday! grin.gif The sad part is that I have to pack it up and mail it out today frown.gif