• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst resubmitt result you have ever achieved?

97 posts in this topic

lol sorry not yet buddy... I'm still lurking around. Just so busy with the little guy it doesn't leave much time for anything else...

Plus I need to pay off a few books before I can start tempting myself with new ones and there are way too many books on here to tempt me.

I don't have any horror stories, but a few disappointments.

The only grade drop was a Kamandi 1 (don't laugh, I have a soft spot for the book) that was 9.4 old label. CPR and came back 9.2

I have had books that were disappointing for not improving. ASM 129 9.0, Hero for Hire #1 9.0 and Flash 123 8.5 immediately come to mind. There were significant defects that pressed out nicely but the books came back the same grade.

Overall though, CPR has been worthwhile. And in time your eye gets better and better for spotting good candidates.

OMG, I cannot imagine how sufunk feels. Bad luck bro!

Maybe you should send your books to PGX.I hear you have a soft spot for them.

Plus your grades will go back up!

Bazinga!

I always thought that since grading is subjective that CGC grades are what they are plus or minus a grade. Ie an 8.0 is 8.0 +/- one grade level meaning 7.5 to 8.5. As always buy the book not the label.

As for a CPR horror story when I sold off my collection the buyer of one of the major keys decided to CPR it and the book came back lower, the book might have been damaged in pressing. These are fragile products, I certainly would not trust my hands to CPR a multi thousand dollar book. I would be too afraid I would accidentally cause minor damage with the book.

Back to original posters question. My book was not pressed, it was simply cracked SS and submitted.

X-Men 50 9.2 off white pages, came back as an 8.5 off white pages. Called for graders notes on both labels, they both said 1 inch non color breaking crease on front cover.

I was highly disappointed. Not huge money, but I lost a couple hundred bucks. More importantly, the book falls below my personal requirement for a keeper in my X-Men run of all SS and pedigrees for that era.

I hate to be a conspiracy theorist, but I submitted the book last year after grades were being complained about from the onsite grading at Chicago last year. I truly believe CGC was "tightening" up their standards after so many people were bragging about gift grades and others were complaining or "hating" on others gift grades.

Some day I will send it to Joey and try to get it back up to a 9.2, I truly thought it was going to come back as a 9.4.

I think examples of the label changing colors are the worst.

I used to crack out all my slabbed comics when I first started buying them, including a blue label FF #10 in 9.0. Years later when it was re-encapsulated (after doing nothing but sitting in a mylar minding its own business) it came back 8.5 with a green label noting that the staples had been replaced.

Oops.

I used to crack out all my slabbed comics when I first started buying them, including a blue label FF #10 in 9.0. Years later when it was re-encapsulated (after doing nothing but sitting in a mylar minding its own business) it came back 8.5 with a green label noting that the staples had been replaced.

Oops.

That sucks, you seem to have had some bad luck on the label color front. Didn't you also have an issue with your OO ASM #121 coming back as trimmed?

I submitted a SS 4 that was graded as 6.0 White Pages. I had it cracked and pressed and I'll be interested to see what it comes back as. It is an interesting risk to take but the chance of reward is always the lure. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for good news but given current turn around times I don't have to worry about seeing it until next year...so...by the time it gets back I'll likely just be thrilled to have it returned lol

Back to original posters question. My book was not pressed, it was simply cracked SS and submitted.

X-Men 50 9.2 off white pages, came back as an 8.5 off white pages. Called for graders notes on both labels, they both said 1 inch non color breaking crease on front cover.

I was highly disappointed. Not huge money, but I lost a couple hundred bucks. More importantly, the book falls below my personal requirement for a keeper in my X-Men run of all SS and pedigrees for that era.

I hate to be a conspiracy theorist, but I submitted the book last year after grades were being complained about from the onsite grading at Chicago last year. I truly believe CGC was "tightening" up their standards after so many people were bragging about gift grades and others were complaining or "hating" on others gift grades.

Some day I will send it to Joey and try to get it back up to a 9.2, I truly thought it was going to come back as a 9.4.

I had the same thing happen to my last October. Everything graded .2 below Matt's Nelsons estimate. Unfortunately I just sent in a batch to be graded in the next 3 days and I hear they are uber tight right now :( Of course I was uber tight with my submission candidates this time. A lot of them are near perfect 9.6-9.8's, but I just cant wait to see cgc knock these to 9.2-9.4s. We shall see in next few days.

I bet this is what they told Sufunk and what he doesn't want to cause a riot to state: That grading has tightened up from when the book got an 9.2 and so its now an 8.5.

Oops.

I had a large Marvel key go from a blue label to a purple. 5 figure loss. Yes, you read that right.

Risks are not for the faint of heart. Once that baby is cracked out of it's blue label there are no guarantees.

Contrary to what you might think, if someone wants to play the resub game, it's not just free money. You just don't hear about the negatives all the time like you do the wins.

Oops.

I had a large Marvel key go from a blue label to a purple. 5 figure loss. Yes, you read that right.

Risks are not for the faint of heart. Once that baby is cracked out of it's blue label there are no guarantees.

Contrary to what you might think, if someone wants to play the resub game, it's not just free money. You just don't hear about the negatives all the time like you do the wins.

Ouch!

What did they find the second time around?