• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first con haul and impressions...

1 post in this topic

So I felt compelled to share my impressions from NYCC, my very first Con!

Overall, I guess I felt a little mixed about the whole thing, but I left feeling like I'd learned a lot. Things didn't start off well when I went to drop my books off at a facilitator first thing Friday. They gave me a submission form, I sat at the booth and filled out paperwork for NINE books, then handed it back only to be told they weren't accepting any more books for SS. Ack. I was pretty miffed. Well, that changed my plans for the show, for sure.

However, I was able to salvage what started out as kind of a crummy situation. I ended up frequenting the CGC booth. Wow, those guys were super awesomely nice and helpful. They pointed me in the right direction, helped with my invoices, and were really patient even though things were pretty chaotic. My hat's off to them, for sure!

I felt like it kind of sucked that EVERYTHING was ticketed. You want Kirkman? Show up at 6am, and forget about getting any show exclusives. Again, these are just the impressions of someone who has never been to one of these before, so I wasn't sure on how it all worked. I just disliked that it was pretty much like everything was an either/or. I had to prioritize signings over merch.

I spent most of Friday getting the lay of the land, and ended up getting into the "Legendary" panel, which was very cool. Saturday, I arrived at 5:40, and was probably 2000th in line. Ugh. Spent the morning in line to get tickets for signings that I had to get back in line for later. Lots of lines, haha. Missed out on The Walking Dead panel in spite of arriving three hours early, but I got into Marvel Television/Cup o' Joe (Coulson LIVES!).

I got a decent amount done, but felt like the place was oversold. I'll probably go to a smaller con next time. Anyone have suggestions on east coast shows with decent talent?

Oh yeah, here's what I was able to get SS'd:

Siege #1 Quesada variant Signed by Stan Lee

Siege #3 Quesada sketch variant Signed by Quesada

Saga #1 RRP Signed by Staples/Vaughan

Uncanny Avengers #1 Adams NYCC sketch variant Signed by Adams

Walking Dead #19 Signed by Tony Moore

Batman #13 NYCC variant Signed by Snyder

Plus a sketch on Deadpool #50 by Matteo Scalera

Not too shabby for my first con, methinks. Wasn't able to get my Thief of Thieves #1 and #2 done, or a Kirkman sig on my Dead #19, but I'm working on it!